Ice

Hylander

Some cracking answers there peeps.

Ok the shotgun theory.  At short range have you seen the spread of a shotgun cartridge? with even near straight through barrels as per a    s k e e t    gun, not very large, I would be using thousands of cartridges and the cheapest 21g cartridges come in at around £40:00 per 250 about :18p per cartridge that is a lot of expense, then there is the time doing it, the damage to fish / wildlife and of course the lead content entering the river system.  Then there is the biggy of a local byelaw stating no firearms allowed with 1/2 a mile or so (Or whatever it is) of any river so that is a definite no no, having said that it would be a first no doubt, very novel and enjoyable all the same

Rock Salt theory - I intend to sail from 'B.A's base Friday morning and arrive the same day before close of pay, not the same day next month!

Rock salt / Cartridge theory - See reply 1) and 2) but immense fun especially against any perpetrators of local byelaws :naughty: so I would end up shooting mysen :shocked

Griff

• Like 2

Oh yes JM, Cutting barrels down, a stack of blades and another HUGE misdemeanor in doing so, not to mention an automatic do no pass go and go straight to jail card, then there is the firearms / rivers - byelaw thing again. This would still trangress it, sawn offs are not exempt I would offer!

And no, no Purdys at this hovel, Miroku, Beretti, Rottweil to name a few but definitely no purdys

Griff

• Like 2

I understand that an owner onboard Thunder was iced in at Oulton last week and had to leave her there. Slightly problematic in that this week and next were put aside for Winter maintenance but Brooms recovered her yesterday (I don't know how....).

I am reliably informed that temperatures will be double figures after the weekend.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re GRP & ice, I have seen the damage done to the gel coat on moored boats by the ice being carried along by the tide. Indeed ice boards are not unheard off in places like Reedham.

True, but ice carried along by the tide (particularly somewhere like Reedham) has a lot more power behind it than can be produced by a boat's engine, and it's impacting on a boat that's being held in place.

The subject of ice and boats gets quite complicated very quickly, and if you look at what boaters in less clement climates have to deal with, our problems with it very rapidly come into perspective. I know Griff has said he's very cautious with ice due to his experience at sea, which is fair, as sea ice is a very different beast to river ice, and often an indication of other problems (let's face it, even in the worst winter we don't come across growlers* on the Broads).

*Almost totally submerged lumps of pack ice, which can weigh several hundred tons and are solid enough to rip chunks out of steel ships or wreck propellers and stern gear.

Fortunately, at the moment the weather seems to be a bit more mild, and is getting above freezing during the day, so unless there's a big cold snap in the next week and a half, BA should be able to get to Horning without any problem. The last really bad ice we had (when the Bure was frozen solid at Acle Bridge, and I was trying to break ice in Horning with little success) was when we had a period of over a month when temperatures didn't get above freezing at all, even during the day.

All this talk of ice does make me want to re-read The Terror by Dan Simmons (a fictionalised account of the loss of Sir John Franklin's expedition to find the Northwest Passage, I found a recommendation after reading about the discovery of the wrecks of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror recently).

• Like 1

Following the ice/shotguns thread drift I once had to examine and clear for export a crate for an Arctic expedition. It contained a Beretta semi auto 12 bore with the long magazine and a number of cartridges - blank, No.7 and Brenneke single solid slug (!). The were for in case a polar bear fancied breakfast off you the order of load would be 2 x blank, 2 x No7 and if he didn't turn around the slug would be the last resort. The guy delivering it to the quayside said you then got two days off - one to recover and one for the paperwork!

• Like 4

As we get nearer Friday morning of next week, I'll be asking forumites local to the rivers especially Stalham, Broadsedge / gate for ice reports on the rivers.  I see the forecast is for the air temperature to warm up slightly, it'll need to. The issue with the river Ant from Richo's dyke down to the turning for Wayford is that the river doesn't get much winter sun on it if at all, it's too low and is shielded by the trees, therefore from past experience once a decent thick layer of river ice has formed, it takes an age for it to defrost.  There is not a prayer of me taking 'B.A' down to Horning if this is the case.

Griff

I optimistically thought I'd take the boat out yesterday but was a definite no go. Did spend a fun 30mins throwing things at the ice and watching then bounce off into the bushes. In the end the mud weight put a good crack in it.

If you look closely youll see something metal someone else attempted to break the ice with. Photo taken at Brundall. Branden _20170127_224840.JPG

With overnight temperatures of no less than 4 for the next 10 nights I cannot see there being any ice about, surely it would all be gone.    Some of the daytime temperatures are going to be up to 10.        Pretty sure you will be ok by then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637110/extended

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637110/extended

There was a little ice left at AYB in the corners today and some when we first arrived at the WRC but after a couple of hours lunch in the inn even that had gone. Beccles is all clear and I'd be surprised if there is anything left in Oulton Broad but will update tomorrow as that is our port of call on the way back.