Advice Please: Mooring At Norwich Yacht Station

YnysMon

15 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Don't do club nights as others have said. I have a problem with NYS that has not been mentioned. The moorings are lower than a very busy road,  your head is just about at exhaust pipe height, Living right on the coast with wonderful air born out by the lichen on my trees I really suffer if I go there. My throat and chest really get to me.

Good point, the river is much lower than the road, so the diesel particulates, carbon monoxide etc will hang around more, and the river is well protected from the wind too. Add to that, a couple of inconsiderate boaters running engines. I suffer with my chest too, if someone uses underarm deodorant I cannot breath and I cough for ages until I go outside for some fresh air. We live on Cannock Chase, so a lot higher than the surroundings, so we are blessed with fresher air, all be it cooler up here lol. We have stopped at NYS, twice to empty the elsan and top up with water. Being there for just 20 minutes was more than enough for us. Back to the quiet and open rivers for us. Thorpe green, is a quieter mooring option, but  we have never overnighted there. Although when we do go to Norwich, we always carry on past the yacht station to the water mill at the end, (hire craft not allowed) but don't get too close as it becomes very shallow with lots of debris under the water, and long stranded weeds. Share some banter with the folk on the bacony of the pub as you pass it though, you get that close you could take the beer off their tables lol

• Like 1

Don't forget that 4 bus stops from Thorpe Green in the other direction is a big Sainsburys at Pound Lane, where you can top up your supplies.

Personally I find Thorpe is a very pleasant mooring. You do get traffic noise but I don't really notice. Then again I grew up there, so I'm biased!

• Like 4

What suits one person will not suit another. You are on an adventure of discovery. Why not try it and get first hand experience. Norwich is a must visit place. After much exploring, eating & dining you'll be glad to flop into your boat and look forward to planning your next visit.

But as previously advised unless you enjoy the clubbing scene best avoid friday & saturday nights.

• Like 1

Gosh - what a lot of dangers people perceive!!  Pollution, noise, rampant clubbers and not to mention drowning!! You are of course on a boat - it might sink!! A lot of the "dangers" are hearsay and I really doubt if many or indeed any, people here have had an issue. People are occasionally cast off everywhere, not just in Norwich!

The "dangers" at the Yacht Station are more imaginary than actual and if you go up the far end away from the station its all some way away and whilst it is away from the fence surrounding the actual Yacht Station, it would be extremely unlikely  if you had issues - whilst you cannot moor at the next bridge up, Bishops Bridge, there are certainly moorings up above Pulls Ferry. Any issues would only arise on a Fri/Sat night but even then its mostly about not a lot. 

As some have hinted, Norwich is a lovely place with lots of things to do, with good pubs and quality restaurants and you should not miss it so please don't be put off by scare stories.

• Like 9

We have had many overnight stops at Norwich, at weekends too.  Never had a problem, always enjoyed the visits, Norwich is a fantastic city with so much to offer.  The road up from the bridge on a Friday / Saturday night is like Magaluf on steroids, the local Norwich girls trying to outdo each other in the popular competition of the least amount of clothing they can wear, not that I ever  noticed, strange how many times I stood on my tongue though on  one visit went I went for a late night walk up the road for research purposes you understand.  From the river berths, everything is just a short walk away including the hugely impressive cathedral.  My advice is go for it, don't miss out on it.  We need to get 'B.A' back there again, it's been too long since we last visited.  One time I took 'B.A' right up to New Mills Pond, that was very good too, although on a hire boat you cannot go that far up, probably because of the amount of bridges one after another and not too many free berthing spots if any

Griff

• Like 5

I back up on what Charlie has said above - I really like the whole experience of arriving, by boat into the heart of a large city. It is unlike anything else you will experience on the Broads.

I've been to Norwich many times now, though I have not only spent the night there as a group of other boats during our annual 'Lads Week'.  There really is a bunch to see and do here - and I have so far only touched the surface.  The Cathedral is simply amazing, as to some of the old streets and buildings close to it. 

You've got some very pretty walks in the city, but if you want to rush of the place there are malls (and a classic covered shopping arcade) plenty of choices for food and drink and much of the above is all a short walk from the Yacht Station. 

I live in London, so the noise of the traffic and area generally does not bother me - and the scare stories do rather pee me off because as with so much it is more the fear than the reality and while there have been cases of a boat being 'set adrift' this has been reported at Neatishead staithe too, so you simply cannot judge a place just because its a busy city and 'what if'.

I've filmed a few videos where we come into Norwich on a boat, but the below I like the most as I give my personal take on the city:

• Like 6

I was amazed at Griff taking a stroll looking for things that stand out. lol.

I think if you get up and go to bed at Norfolk time, then having revellers going past at 2-3am maybe not your cup of tea, as you have had some of your sleep out by then, so trying to get back to sleep is more difficult.

However, if you join in with a beer or three before midnight, then by 2-3 am you are probably quite relaxed anyway.

I use Norfolk time, probably explains my earlier comments lol.

• Like 1

If not already mentioned Commissioner's Cut is another nice location and easy to get to the main road.  The only snag it is also ideal for train spotters so a bit of noise on that front. I used to know it as Whittlingham Meadows..........

Norwich as the sign says is a Fine City and lots to see and do

• Like 1

Moored at Norwich countless times over the years, including Saturday night. Never any problem. Just moor as your advised and don't leave anything on deck, just in case. As with any Urban mooring it can be noisy, not only the early hour clubbers but also rush hour traffic which seems to start earlier and to go on longer over the last few years. However the delights of Norwich far outweigh this and forty years ago I would have been one of those clubbers!

Fred

• Like 4

Just to add to my earlier post regarding the traffic noise. Most of what I would call 'heavy' noise is during the day when you would presumably be enjoying the delights of the city. If you also take advantage of the many good pubs and restaurants in the evening, the quieter overnight noises will probably go unnoticed! I can't say I have ever been aware of traffic fumes either but then I am lucky and do not have any respiratory issues. Bite the bullet and stay overnight, enjoy what the city has to offer both day and night and the following day you will appreciate the open countryside and farmland aromas even more!

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  It's really good to have such a range of opinions and options.  I won't rule out going into Norwich and staying overnight, but will see what the rest of the crew prefer.  There are always future year's trips too!  Even if we don't get to cruise into Norwich this time around I'm determined to do it in future!

Found Robin's video really helpful...it's good to be able to get a sense of the 'lie of the land' (or perhaps I should say land and water). 

Helen

• Like 2

Norwich is still a fine city and well worth the visit. If you should end up in Oulton Broad then it's only ten minutes or less easy walk to Oulton Broad North railway station and eight quid return ticket to Norwich. The train journey is enjoyable and a chance to see  the Broads from another viewpoint, a journey I never tire of.

• Like 4

I have to say I have enjoyed boating into Norwich on both hire and private boats. 

Last time we did it on our old boat it was a Saturday night as we had tickets for the theatre so meant we could both "enjoy" ourselves. 

It was a bit noisy when the clubs kicked out, but I had made the mistake of mooring under the bus stop!!!! Nothing happened and I think I was just paranoid after hearing some bad stories. 

Id go back in a shot, but unless I can get all the bridges opened it won't happen on the current boat!

this year though I plan on testing the train from brundall. 

• Like 4

As you say, move upstream a bit away from the actual Yacht Station and you will not hear a thing!!

After a night out on the town you can only crawl anyway, and I defy anyone to crawl from the clubs to up past Pulls Ferry!!! Its probably the best part of 3/4 of a mile!!!  All they can manage to do is crawl to the cab offices conveniently opposite the clubs.

Griff - I know what you mean!!!!l  lol I have even been inside to get a closer look!!!!

• Like 1