Cooking On The Corsican The Vlog Part 3 ...

CheshireCat

So people here it is critically acclaimed , Oscar nominated , winner of five BAFTA awards not really its part three of the Vlog Cooking On The Corsican , Sorry about part two its still in editing god that sounds professional doesn't it LOL hope you enjoy this weeks ...

• Like 10

I have never been able to get to grips using a steel so always defer to the workshop and the oil stone. 

This can also double up as "my time" if I take all the knives with me, a couple of beers (it's thirsty work) and maybe some football on the radio. 

I don't think 2 minutes with the knife sharpener can compete with the 90 minute workout I getcheers

some of the modern kitchen knives also don't like being sharpened!!! I'm not talking proper chefs knives though.  

• Like 1

I picked up an old steel knife many years back, it had been broken at the tip, so was reshaped into a sharp viking seax and used for cooking in encampments. when we stopped doing reenactments it was moved to the kitchen, it takes a wonderful edge and is used for carving the roast, I dont like modern knives that rely on serrations to do the cutting, and yes I sharpen it with a diamond 'steel', then hone it on a 1200 grit diamond stone.

5 hours ago, Mowjo said:

Asda do that Sharpener for £8, it's called the Any Sharp and they are brilliant, bought back my 30 year old knives to razor sharp,

I could not remember how much I paid for mine but when I checked it was about £10 , I must admit I did not think they would be as good as they are but they are excellent every home should have one ...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

So people here it is critically acclaimed , Oscar nominated , winner of five BAFTA awards not really its part three of the Vlog Cooking On The Corsican , Sorry about part two its still in editing god that sounds professional doesn't it LOL hope you enjoy this weeks ...

I admit, I do use one of those cookers on-board, in the cockpit, but be careful:

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-and-press-releases/news-releases/nr15-005-never-use-lpg-camping-equipment-aboard/

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Yes lots of people have warned me about the little stove , I bought it about 5 or 6 years a go as a emergency cooker just in case something went wrong with the gas on board , and I have used it lots of times with no problems not to say there would never be a problem hopefully not . We are looking at other single ring hobs / stoves but I would rather not go down the electric road as it would go against the hole idea of cooking on a boat but who knows we may have to go that way . Thanks for your concern I do check every thing over before I use it , it is a great little stove as i'm sure you will agree if you use one I have made a complete dinner on it when I ran out of gas more than once ...

Good morning, Cat, thank you for taking my comment in the spirit in which it was intended. I did have a flare up once when I put in a refill that had a faulty lip but other than that, like you, I haven't had a problem. It doesn't throw out as much heat as another stove that I have but I do find it useful. You've hit the nail on the head, it needs checking and care. I bought mine from Lathams, just a tenner, well pleased but after the safety warning, and one flare up, I wouldn't recommend that others buy one although I do continue to use mine, with care.

• Like 2

I've used that type of cooker for camping and used to carry one on the boat with the gas canisters stored in the gas locker, for when we had BBQ's, quite a few years back I had the said flare up, and once had it empty a full canister of gas into the boat and thats the reason I won't have one on board now,  for what Cat is doing it's probably Ok as he is not leaving it unattended at any time, but if it was me I'd put a disclaimer on the Videos because it might give people the impression these are perfectly safe to use on a boat, most boat owners know the dangers with them but a newby won't, and now we have gone American and Sue for everything at least you'll be covering yourself against any action,,

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, grendel said:

I picked up an old steel knife many years back, it had been broken at the tip, so was reshaped into a sharp viking seax and used for cooking in encampments. when we stopped doing reenactments it was moved to the kitchen, it takes a wonderful edge and is used for carving the roast, I dont like modern knives that rely on serrations to do the cutting, and yes I sharpen it with a diamond 'steel', then hone it on a 1200 grit diamond stone.

Could I see your knife have you got a picture please Grendel ... cheers ...

5 hours ago, grendel said:

apparently a very good blade by the name, produced post war (from the ex sycamore st)

Looks good unfortunately I can not see what it says on the knife , is the knife German ??? and what did you think of my Japanese knife its a great tool , and at the end of the day that's what it is , it's a pleasure to use here is the bad bit it cost over £100 but I love it ...

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, brundallNavy said:

Enjoyed the blog Jeff, any chance of showing us how you cook your rice as I remember it was very good.

Doug.

Hi there Doug , Hope your both well , I will be happy to do a Vlog showing my way of doing rice it dose work very well lovely fluffy and dry , I have a few requests before yours so please be patient keep a eye on the Vlog and I will do it , best to subscribe you will then be notified of all new videos and it helps me ...

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, Baitrunner said:

I have never been able to get to grips using a steel so always defer to the workshop and the oil stone. 

This can also double up as "my time" if I take all the knives with me, a couple of beers (it's thirsty work) and maybe some football on the radio. 

I don't think 2 minutes with the knife sharpener can compete with the 90 minute workout I getcheers

some of the modern kitchen knives also don't like being sharpened!!! I'm not talking proper chefs knives though.  

So Baitrunner Your request is the subject of to day's Vlog , hopefully I will be able to post Sunday so you should be able to view it Monday I hope you enjoy it ...