Allo Allo

Timbo

Does anyone remember "The Secret Army", which was a serious weekly adventure programme about the resistance and their efforts to help British airmen, and upon which the satirical "'Allo Allo" was based? Unfortunately the funny series rather killed off the first one, as it was a gripping programme, in its day.

Part of the success of 'Allo Allo was that it so easily translated into both French and German. They all loved it! I have lots of friends in France who always laugh about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

All these good people dying in their seventies is beginning to worry me!

One must remember that he had the most dreadful accident in that gale of January 1990 (I think) and suffered severe brain damage from which he recovered very well. It must however have some bearing on ones longevity.

• Like 2

I knew a sailor out of Chichester harbour that drank Woods 54% (I forget what colour label it was) mixed with some herbal drink called bush, shrub, sapling or some such name. He drank in the Bird and Ham pub in Birdham a lot! I think he was not long livedby all accounts.

Another great Jimmy Perry and David Croft show. Who made Gordon Kaye a big house hold name. Brilliantly written very funny. Such a shame all these great actors coming to there ends. The beauty of it. Is There never forgotten and there always being repeated on the TV. So it's like there still here entertaining us. What is so sad is there's no new entertainment being written how it was. Perry and Croft are lengends in there writing like john Sullivan.  So I raise a glass to Gordon Kaye and thank you for your laughs.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I knew a sailor out of Chichester harbour that drank Woods 54% (I forget what colour label it was) mixed with some herbal drink called bush, shrub, sapling or some such name. He drank in the Bird and Ham pub in Birdham a lot! I think he was not long livedby all accounts.

One of those herbal drinks, in excess, could shorten the lives of any red blooded male!

As for Birdham Pool, during the 1970's I spent a lot of time down there, in the pub too. There used to be a Lowestoft registered barge-yacht moored there called Dinah. I worked part-time in the yard down there during the winter when delivery work was short. Did a lot of rigging on Dinah but I never saw her sail.

I well remember "Secret Army" thought it very good. I must be one of the few people who  failled to laugh at any part o f" allo allo".  I honestly thought it was absolute rubbish.

Sadly,  I can't imagine any repeats of "Till Death Us Do Part" ever being screened the PC brigade would go into melt down. Likewise "Love thy neighbour" I would imagine. A situation that will endure while these humourless do-gooders fail to be able to tell the difference between reality and plain old British comedy:(

Carole

• Like 2

Re. Herbal tinctures, in some country pubs round here  you can still add clove, shrub and others to your tot. The Lord Nelson (not that one, this is 'down the docks' in Ipswich) used to market half bottles of 'Deben Angel' which was Woods 100 based with clove cordial being the only recognisable ingredient (another maybe honey)- a very warming waxer in this weather!

On 23/01/2017 at 9:42 PM, Vaughan said:

Does anyone remember "The Secret Army", which was a serious weekly adventure programme about the resistance and their efforts to help British airmen, and upon which the satirical "'Allo Allo" was based? Unfortunately the funny series rather killed off the first one, as it was a gripping programme, in its day.

Part of the success of 'Allo Allo was that it so easily translated into both French and German. They all loved it! I have lots of friends in France who always laugh about it.

I have the full set of Secret Army DVDs and very good they are too. There was another series around that era called "Manhunt". Sadly they don't make series like these any more but, if you search online, you can probably find many of the old programmes digitally remastered onto DVD.

Does anyone remember a black and white series called The Silver Sword? I think it was set in war torn Poland during WW2.

• Like 1