Week Booked - Staying North

NonTecky

As the title suggests I have just booked another week on the Broads starting on Friday 7th April. Just my son and I this trip as Daughter is off to NYC with her Mum to see Billy Joel! Looking at tides, going South is not a 'relaxing' option this time as crossing times are either early or late.

So Instead of our usual dual steer from Ferry Marina I have hired Amber Emblem with the hope of going up to Coltishall and also exploring up the Ant. I have never been further than Ludham Bridge so I would welcome some suggested overnight places where we can eat in a pub....

Thanks in advance

• Like 5

Sutton Staithe Hotel, Sutton, The Rising Sun and Recruiting Sargeant at Coltishall, we've used all of these and never had a bad meal or drink in them

If you've never done the cruise from Wroxham to Coltishall you are in for such a treat, it's absolutely magical, look out for Kingfishers, the water is so clear at times you can see the fish, the Broads are lovely all over the system but that cruise is my favourite, it's so beautiful

Enjoy and have a lovely time

Grace

• Like 5

Hi NonTecky.  If you go to Coltishall be sure to chug on past the Rising Sun to the limit of navigation at Coltishall lock,  it's fabulous, like escaping to a different waterway altogether.  Have a look at my holiday tale and photos from last October 

On the pubs question,  I like the Sutton Staithe hotel but its very difficult to get a space there in the season.  You're going pre-Easter though it'll be a good time to give it a try. I also like The Swan Inn at Stalham which is an easy walk from either Stalham Staithe or Richardsons. 

• Like 1

Yep Recruiting Sergeant well established for many years, good reputation for grub and beer good too. Bit of a walk if you moor at Coltishall Common but quite do-able. 

I've heard that the Sutton Staithe hotel has had a bit of upheaval recently, just might be worth checking out. 

• Like 2

Don't forget the Wayford Bridge Inn - again, not that much room at the moorings just before the bridge so going a little out of season you may be lucky. Easter is the following weekend so I guess it depends when the school holidays start, which will vary in different parts of the country.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Yep Recruiting Sergeant well established for many years, good reputation for grub and beer good too. Bit of a walk if you moor at Coltishall Common but quite do-able. 

I've heard that the Sutton Staithe hotel has had a bit of upheaval recently, just might be worth checking out. 

Hi Howard, as Simon (Broads 01) says, if you carry on past the rising sun to the lock, you can overnight there, and have a much shorter walk to the Recruiting Sergeant?. It`s something i wanted to do last June, but could not get under Wroxham bridge, as the tide was too high.

• Like 3

Hi.

Perhaps you should moor up at Ludham Bridge and wander up the road and have a few beers and a meal at the Dog. They only do lunchtimes meals and evening meals but the food is of good quality.

There are extensive moorings there, a water point, a little café that does breakfasts and a convenience shop that caters for most bits and pieces.

Enjoy your holiday, kind regards, thingamybob.

• Like 4

Simon is so right about the moorings on the left under Wayford bridge, lovely grassy banks and also not forgetting the beautiful cruise to Dilham. lovely quiet moorings with the Cross Keys pub a short walk from the Staithe, a bit tight for turning a big old boat there but if we can do it anyone can lol

I can also recommend the Wayford Bridge Inn, as has been said a brilliant pub. We don't really do a booze cruise :wasted:lol, we just love the Broadland pubs, use them or lose them as they say

Grace

• Like 5

Thank you all for your suggestions. Looking at the picture of the Burger at Sutton Staithe I think my First Mate will insist we stop there! As it is Easter and School Holiday time we will have to take our chances with mooring availability. We do usually try and get to where we are going mid afternoon so we can 'explore' so hopefully we will be lucky. I am looking forward to exploring parts of the Broads where I have not been before on a boat.

We have been on a Day boat up to Coltishall, but again clearance permitting should be great to poodle up there and stay the night.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Time is getting nearer to our first week on the Broads this year. Woo Hoo!  Starting to look at maps and potential 'routes' for our week. As I have not been up the Ant before, I have no knowledge of 'plan B' should our desired evening stop be full.... so without giving away your secrets :)  any advice for Wayford Bridge / Neatishead should they be full?

It should still be fairly quiet and Wayford is always OK through the bridge where I suggested. As Helen says Paddy's Lane is another good bet. I haven't done the walk to Neatishead from there but funnily enough I was watching Robin's video a couple of days ago. He said it was a mile and a half.

Stalham is a good bet also. There's some limited space at the Staithe, otherwise Richardsons have a nice grassy spot at the entrance to the boatyard on the left. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

It should still be fairly quiet and Wayford is always OK through the bridge where I suggested. As Helen says Paddy's Lane is another good bet. I haven't done the walk to Neatishead from there but funnily enough I was watching Robin's video a couple of days ago. He said it was a mile and a half.

Stalham is a good bet also. There's some limited space at the Staithe, otherwise Richardsons have a nice grassy spot at the entrance to the boatyard on the left. 

Hi Simon,  i thought that grassy stretch was private moorings only?.