Week Booked - Staying North

NonTecky

8 minutes ago, riyadhcrew said:

I think Wayford is 7ft and the tidal rise and fall is minimal.

That is correct, there's hardly any variation, last time we were there our boat was 7' so it was a no go for us.

I'm sure the moorings under the bridge were about £5.00 per night and are great if you can get through.

• Like 2

I'm always amazed that this bridge isn't flagged as one to watch out for in the hire boat brochures and websites. There's not many moorings before you reach the bridge so it's easy to get caught out if it's busy and the moorings are full. We found that some years ago ... and it felt a very long slow cruise back down the Ant to Paddy's Lane.

However if you do manage to moor here I would highly recommend the food at the Wayford Bridge Inn.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Simon,  i thought that grassy stretch was private moorings only?.

Not last time I was there unless it's changed recently.

8 hours ago, NonTecky said:

I wonder what the water levels are like at the moment? I think Wayford Bridge is lower that Wroxham and Amber needs 7ft I believe.

Yes you need to take care with the clearance at Wayford. Ive had to turn around before the bridge on more than one occasion. Robin's been through recently though on Brinks Serenade which would also need about 7 foot I think. 

• Like 1

Serenade is 6' 10" the bride, as it always seems to showed 7' - but it sure seemed a pretty tight fit so this is a bridge where it is a case of believe the height gauge - also don't worry about the wood hanging down as you proceed under, this is because one side of the bridge is slightly higher than the other, so the wood is there to ensure boats coming downstream from Dilham do think they have lots more room and half way through get stuck.

Very nice stretch of river this. I've heard very good things about the Wayford Bridge Hotel since under new ownership though I have yet to personally visit, Sutton Staithe Hotel is good grub but nothing too fancy. White Horse is for me too fancy but great for drinking at. There is also the Cross Keys pub a short walk from the mooring at Dilham, again never visited this myself but hear good things from those who have.

• Like 3

Seeing another post mention Acle, Do we know if the moorings along the bank on the starboard side as you are heading to Yarmouth, well before the Bridge, are still available? As the new set up there doesn't have as many boats as Richardsons had, maybe it will be less busy?