Neatishead

Steve2604

I'm sure you'll be fine Steve, we've had various boats up to Neatishead over the years an never had any problems. As Andy says take it slowly. 

It's very nearly a " must go to" place for us, well worth the trip.

we've seen otters kingfishers and swimming snakes

• Like 2

Made that look easy. 

If your not that confident you can always walk the boat out if you ask the moored boats to take your ropes or if you can walk down the sides. 

Or if your really cocky you can reverse in. Unlike last time I tried in which it ended up being a cock up!!! But nothing hit and the other boats roped us in.  Of course Griff then got the spot right on the end so had it easy.   

Its been said before. Slow and easy. Then the fenders can do their job. 

Gays Staithe is often less busy but a longer walk to the pub. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

.. Well, one way to give an upper body work out and test the rudder stops.

No wonder he seemed to have broken his thumb halfway through the process. 

I must admit I chickened out of saying anything this afternoon when I saw that! But being as we are discussing it - he had a long boat, but was obviously fighting a coarse pitch left hand propeller which was kicking him over to starboard every time he went astern. His only hope of doing that successfully would have been to somehow get a bit of speed up first, to give him steerage way against the kick of the prop.

As Baitrunner says, and as there was no wind at the time, the seamanlike thing would be to haul out on the mooring lines until clear of other moored boats. After all, we saw from the video that there were plenty of other concerned people standing on their decks wondering what was going to happen next, who I image would have been only too glad to take a line, and get him out of there!

• Like 2

The boat in question is a Jewel of Light - 46ft of 1990's finest built by Faricraft Loynes.

I have helmed these craft myself - steering is very light, and usually responsive - the same can't be said for the engine and torque, it is more a case of putting a call in to the engine room and awaiting a response some time later and hoping it is what you want when it arrives.

• Like 1

At Neatishead I prefer to moor at the bottom end because I really enjoy reversing out!  Little dabs of forward throttle to steer,  keep it dead slow.  Because it's a sheltered spot it's actually a good place for reversing whereas elsewhere wind and currents can make life more complicated. 

I've attached a couple of photos of Neatishead Staithe. You can see the contrast between summer and winter :-)

It is wide enough for three 12 foot beam boats with a bit to spare but not a lot. I have reversed out but as has been said care is needed. If possible Mrs Nog and I spin the boat round on the ropes if there is room when we arrive. Obviously that would have been impossible with the Jewel. It's also a very popular spot for fishermen although they tend to sit right at the entrance on the corner at either side.

The White Horse is an excellent pub so the effort is well worthwhile IMHO. It is possible to moor at Gays Staithe and walk the extra distance - from memory it adds about 10 - 15 minutes to the trip. I seem to recall though that the track from the Staithe to the road is very muddy.

P1020719.JPG

P1150541.JPG

• Like 8

Two years ago I helped about four boats to moor.Mainly they were worried  mooring.So like a nice man I am I moored for them  most the boats were bath tubs,interesting.I am pleased to say I did not bump other boats.Should have charged  them.Good fun sadly  my sun glasses  fell off into the water.Do give it a try it's worth it  and then walk up to the white horse for a pint and a meal.Also visit the shop just over from the pub.Its community  run very nice to.Keep it local

Ian

• Like 3

The last time we visited Neatishead was 3 or 4 year ago on board Bolero (Richardson's version). When we arrived I could see only one available mooring which was right at the inner end.

I decided that the best option was to reverse in so that's what I did. Using the gear lever without any throttle I took the boat in without touching any other boat. I do admit that I did use the bow thruster a little bit just to keep the boat straight.

When we got right down to the mooring spot I turned the wheel fully to starboard and use a little forward throttle to swing the stern toward the quay then a short burst on the bow thruster brought the bow in.

Crew stepped ashore and secured the mooring ropes......job done, switch off engine......then felt very chuffed at the round of applause from the crews on the two boats closest to us

Jeff

• Like 6

There is room if you'r careful, before now we have had two jewels on either side of the mooring, then reversed 'B.A' down the middle and berthed 3 x abreast overnight,  When doing  this if you end up berthed in t middle, be prepared for an early start to let other boats out

Griff

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Also visit the shop just over from the pub.Its community  run very nice to.Keep it local

Ian

Nice one Ian, got to agree with that. Mrs Nog popped in last month and was very impressed. 

Re the Jewel, was trying to say it would probably be difficult  to turn them around on the ropes in the staithe itself but no problem getting them in forwards/ backwards if that makes sense. 

At Neatishead if 3 boats are together in 1 party (1in the middle )at the head of the moorings that's fine. (A lot of people aren't as accommodating as you Griff)

A couple of years ago one boat came down the middle and moored at the end and beggerd off presumably to the pub.  An older gentleman came back from his walk ready to set off to meet his wife he was stuck there and couldn't move until the next day as it went dark. He was most upset  as the people concerned didn't think they had done anything wrong . He said  it had put him off the broads after 50 years  and was to take is boat back. 

John

Another great place to moor is How Hill :love. That can be a short stay or over night. It nice to moor and have a walk around the museum. Last year we brought ice cream / sorbet :397_icecream:there (if anyone can remember September last year :27_sunglasses:). Great place and yes you may see otters at How Hill, we did a couple of years ago.

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 3