Burns Night

deebee29

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

I think I understood that, Vaughan lol

This is a famous Burns grace (no pun intended) that Iain and I once discussed on another thread, where he knew the exact text, whereas I had only ever heard it spoken, by a Scottish Minister, when at school.

So if he is looking down on me now, he will be "modding" me, like this -   :norty:

Scotland the Brave!   :broadscot

• Like 3

I'll be raising a glass and remembering Iain6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t[1].gif on Saturday night at Snowflake Sailing Clubs Burns night Dinner (fully kilted up of course).

where will be said the Selkirk Grace,

Some hae meat and canna eat,
and some wad eat that want it,
but we hae meat and we can eat,
and sae the Lord be thankit.

6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t[1].gif

• Like 3

I have said this before we used to visit friends in  Scotland. When we crossed into Scotland  on the train.I used to say look out for the haggis. It's got very big ears lots of hair and three legs.Look there's  one over there.It helped time pass.The good thing  is for three people you get a leg each.I thing Iain would  laugh 

Ian

• Like 2

my daughter was always told of left and right hand haggis, as one side the legs are shorter, so they could run around the hills, but that the sad thing was that left and right hand haggis could never mate.

Also that sporrans are made from haggis pelts.

(but then she believed me that if you sniff real hard a cactus has a wonderful scent, - I cant smell it dad- well get closer - ow.)

• Like 5

I attended a Burns Supper at a local hotel last night. Posh job with penguin suit, tartan dickie bow and all the trimmings. 5 course dinner with recitals, addresses and speeches afterwards, all followed by scottish and other dancing, once the food had gone down. At the appropriate time, during the eating of the estate-shot haggis, with bashed neeps and champit tatties, I raised my wee dram to Iain's memory.  :broadscotThink he would have liked that.

cheers

Steve

• Like 7

I didn't see it poured out, it came as part of the meal. It had the iodised peaty taste that I associate with Islay, but I couldn't say more than that. The sort of whisky that you sip rather than quaff. I fancy trying the St Georges sometime, but when heading towards the Broads, I find it very difficult to deviate from the A11 and, when returning, we are usually in a hurry, having left much later than we should have.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Or St Georges is available over the net,

At the packed club house in Horning on Saturday night we had,

Old Poulteney,

Speyside,

Glen Moray,

Laphroaig,

plus all the usual Burns night festivities and meal.

a very good night was had by all.....

• Like 1