Every One Should Watch This.....

Bound2Please

I 'liked' that Charlie because it's such a powerful message, well done for posting, unfortunately I believe it's only the sensible one's among us that will take notice, I don't like name calling but in this case the idiots it should appeal to take absolutely no notice whatsoever

Grace

• Like 7

While we are at it, I think satnavs are far more dangerous than mobile phones.

I am not condoning it but at least while you are talking on a mobile, you have your eyes on the road. I have driven a lot of our customers' cars from base to base, and I find their satnavs to be a dangerous distraction, while you are fiddling with it, when driving.

It's all very well for VW to make an advert like that but we know their new cars all come with a satnav as standard.

• Like 3

I agree that satnavs can be as bad as mobile phones especially when they start giving you information about traffic delays on your route. You can't safely look down and read the information and make a decision about what to do - you really need to have a passenger to do that.

I do also find that using my mobile is just as distracting on bluetooth / hands free because I hardly ever do it and would have to look down to touch the screen in the right place so I think they should be banned just as much as a handheld mobile.

In actual fact even just switching radio stations can be distracting ... anything where you need to glance away from the road ahead carries a risk.

• Like 3

I have to drive a number of hire cars for work so have seen how differently different manufacturers give you the information you need in a position where you are least distracted from driving. Wy they don't all have a digital speedo for example, I haven't yet understood. It's so much easier than looking at a dial and working it out when you want to be absolutely sure you're keeping under the speed limit for your own safety, that of your passengers and everyone else on the road.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I have to drive a number of hire cars for work so have seen how differently different manufacturers give you the information you need in a position where you are least distracted from driving. Wy they don't all have a digital speedo for example, I haven't yet understood. It's so much easier than looking at a dial and working it out when you want to be absolutely sure you're keeping under the speed limit for your own safety, that of your passengers and everyone else on the road.

As probably most of us do now I use my sat nav quite often, however I never look at the screen but just listen for the voice instructions.  I find this easy and safe.

• Like 4

I know a certain Broads boatyard director, who of course shall be nameless, who once phoned his mother from his car.

When she picked the phone up, he said "You blasted woman, why can't you talk sense?? I know what I am doing but you ****** well don't!!!"

He later had to explain, timidly, to his mother that he had been yelling at the recorded voice from his satnav!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

I do also find that using my mobile is just as distracting on bluetooth / hands free because I hardly ever do it and would have to look down to touch the screen in the right place so I think they should be banned just as much as a handheld mobile.

Well that depends on the blue tooth device your using, if my phone rings it mutes the radio I hear the caller via radio speakers, and talk as they are sitting next to me. No distractions of looking at screens or any thing, if I need to make a call it recognises the name I ask it for. I can only ring out to names in the phone book.

But yes a disturbing video but needs to be put out there

Charlie

• Like 3

It's a good advert, but it's not just in cars that you've got be careful when it comes to mobiles, my hubby nearly knocked someone over a few months ago, we were just coming upto a zebra crossing when a young woman with a young  child in her arms just stepped into the road & was using her mobile, & she did'nt even look before crossing, luckily we'd spotted her before she crossed, & as we went passed i shouted to her to put her mobile down when crossing roads with a child,& she just looked at me as if to say, whats your problem. silly woman.  lori

• Like 6

I dont use a conventional satnav, mine is software on an old laptop, this is positioned outside my normal reach, it does not tell me where too go, but shows me where I am, and my exact speed to 0.1mph, do I look at it - rarely, it has no voice to distract me. when I look at it, its set just below my passenger side mirror. generally that means I only look at it when I need to spot an alternate route - this is usually when I am stationary in traffic.

most of my navigating is done before I leave, this means I memorise a route by road number - eg work to stalham would be A127 - M25- M11-A11 - A47 to Acle then turn left over the bridge and another left then a few local roads (it should be signposted from there right?) all that is from checking the route a week or two back, and I have been there once before.

my phone is out of reach when driving, I do have hands free bluetooth, but its rarely turned on.

• Like 1

Last year, I came off the Eurostar at St Pancras and having fought my way through the retail outlets until I came out into the daylight, I needed a taxi to get to Liverpool St. As it turned out, the taxi rank was right over the other side, at Kings Cross.

I didn't know this, but there were a lot of people standing on the pavement looking as though they were waiting for something, so I asked one of them if he knew where the taxi rank was?

I hadn't noticed that this individual had a wire sticking out of its ear, but it peered at me with a look that came straight from the living dead and pronounced "Eff off - I'm on the effing phone".

If this is how people struggle to survive in big cities these days I am not surprised they go blundering into each other - either on foot or in vehicles.

• Like 1