TOILET WARNING SIGNS

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, on a thread about Diamond gem, CRicko says they don`t have any electric toilets on their boats as some customers put all sorts of things down them, and they`ve had trouble in the past with their pump-out machine getting blocked up with wet wipes. I can remember the old signs in the toilet compartment warning people "do not put anything down this toilet unless you`ve eaten it first" lol: . Maybe they should start putting those signs back, but saying "unless it`s been CONSUMED first to stop people having a jimmy riddle over the side lol: . It amazes me what planet some people must be on, or do i just expect too much from so-called intellegent people?. Regards to all............. Neil.

Not knowing how to use the thing can be downright dangerous too, we had some visitors aboard who despite being repeatedly instructed how to use the sea toilet left the inlet seacock on and the bowl valve in the “fill†position. Needless to say as soon as we got planing the pressure started to fill the bowl until it overflowed and it was only noticed when the water reached the bulkhead door of the heads/shower compartment and overflowed into the lowest point of the boat. Fortunately what overflowed was no more than seawater so at least there was no effluent mop up to do. :(

Before you get carried away being all self rightceous and all remember YOU have chosen a lifestyle where you are happy to control the deposits into your pan.

The vast majority are used to plopping all sorts of goodies into the lav without a care or worry that they will be carried away to ..... well most don't actually care.

That's why in Greece the signs are very specific ... especially to the Brits. Put the lav paper in the bin .... THIS DOES MEAN YOU .... surely not?

Some of the older Blakes boats still do have that sign.

Rather than being self-riteous, it is a fact of human nature that all sorts of directions etc will be ignored. On the trial runs I helped with last year, a specific point was always made about the toilets and organic matter only. They still came back with moist wipes, sanitary wares and even knickers in the holding tanks :o No matter how hard you try, a very small minority always ignore you!

Not knowing how to use the thing can be downright dangerous too, we had some visitors aboard who despite being repeatedly instructed how to use the sea toilet left the inlet seacock on and the bowl valve in the “fill†position. Needless to say as soon as we got planing the pressure started to fill the bowl until it overflowed and it was only noticed when the water reached the bulkhead door of the heads/shower compartment and overflowed into the lowest point of the boat. Fortunately what overflowed was no more than seawater so at least there was no effluent mop up to do. :(

Would the same apply to a Jabsco electric toilet, David, like the one fitted to our new boat?

Would the same apply to a Jabsco electric toilet, David, like the one fitted to our new boat?

Because of the way they operate I think not Mark, the manual one shouldn't if the bowl is turned to empty but I always check the seacock before we leave now when we have non boaty visitors aboard, at least if we are going to be running at speed. Our normal procedure is to turn the inlet seacock on before use and off after use as it is a hole in the bottom of the boat, that said it is much easier to get at than most, you can even do it whilst sat on the throne. :grin:

Hi mbird, from the above post, i take it you work in one of the hire yards, can i ask which one?. Regards to all.......... Neil.

Hi Neil

Not as such, but during the season I help out at DRL Marine in Ludham (Womack water) doing a bit of servicing and trial runs on busy days. It's all voluntary, but I just enjoy it. As I moored my boat there until this week, I gots much help and advice from Darren, it seemed only fair to repay him with a bi of my time.

It is jolly good fun though, trying to teach virgin hirers how to handle a 42 footer in a stiff breeze ..... and then we make them do a stern on mooring too :naughty::lol:

Back in the mid 70's these units were "self contained" things and you had to depress a flap then manually pump away. The sign used to say something along the lines of "when the content reaches the flap there is still room for 50 emergency sh.......... s" We wondered when was the day that a sh ........ wasn't an emergency?

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk