"go To Hull" In Thorpe!

Vaughan

7 hours ago, brandenjg said:

Has anyone ever seen a group of privately owned boats in such an aesthetically pleasing condition on the Broads in general, I'd imagine not.

I have. Richo's wet shed contains a veritable 'gleam' of wood and varnish! But you are correct it's getting a rare sight.

Boats and a walk around a boatyard or moorings was one of the few things Uncle Albert and I shared a passion for. As ever the old boy's descriptions would often have me in stitches and of course we would have our glaring differences of opinion and prejudices.

Where as Uncle Albert treated all 'plastic' as ugly and disposable no matter how much you polish it, I felt there are some nice looking craft out there. Of course he referred to the Bermuda type as 'bath tubs'. A marina full of 'plastic' would be referred to as 'Jewson's Reject Department'. A bit of 'plastic' mired in green was a 'pinfold watering hole' (pronounced 'wat' as in 'bat' and 'hole' as in 'ole'. Uncle Albert's accent was 'Donny' through and through.) meaning an old bath tub often seen left out as a water trough for cattle.

Dual steering Alpha types were referred to as a 'block of flats'. 'Ere son cum quick there's a block o' bloody flats coming!'. The Top Liner's were 'floating caravans' although after I'd told him that the head's were in the steering compartment of course Uncle Albert got the wrong end of the stick.
"Ee lad will you look at this? He's steering t' boat and she's sat on t' pot waving at me. Yer dirty bugger!"
Of course the old boy would be waving back while looking through his binoculars.

Our main difference of opinion was canal barges. Uncle Albert loved them. Me? They are fine and dandy on the Chesterfield Canal but when I see them on the Broads it brings on dyspepsia and the recurring nightmare I have after having once met one of them coming in the opposite direction cutting corners on the Ant. But then what is one person's eyesore and nightmare is another's 'pride and joy'. I wouldn't like to get to a point where a self appointed committee starts telling us what is aesthetically pleasing or not, especially when it comes to boats and people..having said that...I am exceptionally handsome! :naughty:

• Like 7

Does colour enter the equation?? Outside of The Norfolk Broads torquoise, orange and faded greens are not often seen as the colour of boats.

Now I remember in a certain National Park new caravans had to be painted to blend in with their surroundings.

Where will it all lead I ask myself.

• Like 1

In this pseudo national park we were encouraged to paint all our riverside sheds a delicate shade of turd. After an apparent act of public disobedience, e.g. no one took that much notice, a rather more reasonable, understandable and acceptable demand for more natural shades became the norm. 

Chris, re those colours, orange especially, a walk around Richardsons on changeover day will enlighten you, especially in regard to the hue of single decker roofs. 

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just for the record a very reputable gentleman who attended the council meeting tells me that the EDP report contains several quotes that were never actually made. Indeed that the story contains much that is fabricated. 

Really I can hardy believe it !!!!

EDP The rag that never lets the truth get in their way.

• Like 5

I remember a few years ago I was looking through a certain forum's pages and came upon a thread discussing the attributes of various boat designs (not a lot of change over the years then!). A comment had been made that 'a boat should look like a boat'. I thought what an ignorant thing to say, quite stupid in fact. Then I got to thinking, well, what should a boat look like? It should have a hull, somewhere to steer the thing, something to help it move through the water and that's really about it -

:440_rowboat: :Stinky :Sailing .

Whatever else someone chooses to add to it doesn't make it any less of a boat, just makes it attractive to some but not to others. What matters is how it is looked after. :hardhat:

• Like 4

I cannot imagine that "joe public" are likely to want to spend their leisure time sat at Thorpe Green "enjoying" the view which is blocked out by boats ( however bootiful they are ) .

I am sure that people would rather sit and admire the view of the actual river and the activities on it.

I could agree with the idea of day boats or larger low air draft trip boats based there providing that there is plentiful car parking nearby.

Jeff

• Like 2