Webcams

SwanR

So I am totally fascinated by being able to watch different places in real time via the multitude of webcams available online. If anyone has any favourites please do let me know. The one at the Abbey Road crossing can be very interesting. I like the one on HMS Warrior overlooking Portsmouth Harbour - love watching the ferries come and go. :)

At 9 o'clock on a Sunday morning it is still so dull in Wroxham that Barnes' webcam is still in night vision! But it's looking very sunny up in Lerwick in the Shetlands - beautiful morning up there while it seems there is snow on the ground in Norwich. 

Norwich.png

Lerwick2.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Where is the photo at the bottom of your post taken.   

The site I use is http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/and this particular shot is from the camera labelled Shetland Museum. I enjoy looking at somewhere so different to where I live. Plus of course the daylight hours are different that far north. But even when it's dark these cameras are still in colour so they're great to watch.

Sometimes I even go as far as to use the AIS Marine Traffic website to zoom in on a map and figure out which vessel I can see moored up or moving around! Same goes for Portsmouth Harbour. I know ... you would think I might have something better to do with my time but having so much available online the time flies by and I find I've been on my computer longer than I intended! 

Thanks for the other links. I'm having a bit of trouble loading any pics on the Hamptons site but Blakeney looks as beautiful as ever.

• Like 1

Wow, that's amazing, snow on the beach. That looks cold!

Here's a link that's good for looking at the ships' positions around the Solent.

http://www.john-ambler.com/ais/google.html

And here's one for the AIS Marine Traffic - not sure what position this will load on but you can zoom out and move around or use one of the other tabs to search for any particular vessels you want to track.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:1/centery:53/zoom:8

Here's a photo I just snapped from the webcam looking at the Hamptons.

Hamptons.png

• Like 5

Ah yes, I've done that as well Robin. Matching up all these resources at one time can make things very interesting. You can watch a ship on the webcam, see it's path on the map and listen to it on the radio to the harbourmaster all at the same time.

I got interested in this when we made several trips via Wightlink from Portsmouth across to Fishbourne on the car ferries. And then I got very excited when I discovered that I have some ancestors that lived in Portsmouth near where the ferry terminals are now. Plus one of my ancestors was listed as serving on HMS Warrior in one of the old censuses.

Fascinating stuff ... and all at our fingertips because we have the internet now. It really is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great shame - I would often have this on in the background when doing things, nothing quite like it the guy even had moved and re-installed his set up and aerial to continue serving the visitors to the site with live VHF. It was not just this, but a bunch of other information in the area, it would like one day heading to the 'Broads Boat Database' and it be closed. Funny how you get attached to a website.

• Like 1