Sat Nav

Hi All,

I have been looking at a sat nav with a wireless reversing camera option.

Does anyone have/tried one?

I cannot see where the bathing platform is and Jill's 2 feet is nowhere near my 2 feet.

For £59 I am tempted even for the novelty of seeing the area around where we are floating past.

paul

• Like 1

I have been looking into having a reversing camera for my camper van. Maybe it is on those sites that you could find something, as there seems to be plenty of choice.

From what I can make out, and as boats are quite long, you may be better to choose something which requires wiring through the boat, rather than relying on a sender with a wifi signal, as you might not get a signal on the Broads!

It is more of an effort to install one with wires but it may well be more reliable in the long run. You can also get double cameras, so that you can look straight down at the transom, or straight out at the river behind you, just like a rear mirror.

Paul,

I can't really help with suggesting a good one, but beware that a lot of these displays (particularly the cheap ones) are very difficult to see in sunlit conditions.  In their designed mounting location, under the shadow of a roof, they are not too bad, but take one outside and the image is almost invisible.  When you find a review, they will often talk about camera and screen resolution (also important!) but rarely how clear the screen is in an un-shaded location.

• Like 1

What I made up was this system - I have since got the small fold away monitor for a new experiment.  I've used this sort of set up on hire boats, wired in that case to a 'cigarette lighter plug' for portability, but on a boat you can wire to the 12v system.  It is small and can be run all the of the time should you so wish.

Screen: http://amzn.eu/6LrgKNi

Screen.jpg.ce2e08cbadd8aba9c34fb140323b5481.jpg

Camera: http://amzn.eu/1TQP1yN

camea.png.06358ab596671a06805de7da649ed69e.png

Cable: http://amzn.eu/2EmUjpJ 

cable.png.bbbf2b8f90fdcee6b177473fe0121b9e.png

All this camera lark has been blown out of proportion now it's a total joke...  it's health and safety gone totally stupid with numptys like (FORS) transport for London enforcing LGVs to have cameras fitted to come into London.... it's a joke ....you know the reason why???.... numptys on push bikes cutting up on the inside off big vehicles... and when they get squashed and hurt and killed... the poor driver gets the blame as always... and has to live with that.... i personally don't think there safe... they give you.... false security on actual closeness to the object if your side on or reversing up to... I always got taught.... if in doubt get out... and have a look...

• Like 6

I can't agree with the above, whereby you have said:

" it's health and safety gone totally stupid with numptys like (FORS) transport for London enforcing LGVs to have cameras fitted to come into London.... it's a joke ....you know the reason why???.... numptys on push bikes cutting up on the inside off big vehicles... and when they get squashed and hurt and killed... the poor driver gets the blame as always"

There is, of course some foolish people out there who take risks - cyclists, pedestrians and of course drivers but having three cyclists killed in four days tells me something is going seriously wrong especially when some of the fatalities in the past have not been 'numpties cutting up the inside of big vehicles'. 

Having watched a few 'trucking Blogs' on You Tube it is clear many of the drivers see the devices added to their vehicles to warn others of them turning left as annoying or an additional mirror intended to help reduce blind spots as pointless. It is inherently seen that it is not their fault, not their vehicle but the cyclist - they are the issue they should not be on the roads not to mention the many car drivers who 'don't get it'. 

While this is going on they are holding a camera with one hand talking to it, but they are a professional driver, so it is ok and safe to do this

• Like 1

Scrumpy, I don't like the idea of getting out to look on a windy day while trying to moor at Beccles.

As an aside if drivers are supposed to give cyclists 5ft clearance when passing them why do cyclists not have to give me 5ft clearance when trying to undercut me at traffic lights?

paul

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Scrumpy, I don't like the idea of getting out to look on a windy day while trying to moor at Beccles.

As an aside if drivers are supposed to give cyclists 5ft clearance when passing them why do cyclists not have to give me 5ft clearance when trying to undercut me at traffic lights?

paul

Paul on a windy day.... send the other half out to see how far to go back... if not get one of those reversing sensors... beep beep beep bang your in there...:naughty:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

I can't agree with the above, whereby you have said:

" it's health and safety gone totally stupid with numptys like (FORS) transport for London enforcing LGVs to have cameras fitted to come into London.... it's a joke ....you know the reason why???.... numptys on push bikes cutting up on the inside off big vehicles... and when they get squashed and hurt and killed... the poor driver gets the blame as always"

There is, of course some foolish people out there who take risks - cyclists, pedestrians and of course drivers but having three cyclists killed in four days tells me something is going seriously wrong especially when some of the fatalities in the past have not been 'numpties cutting up the inside of big vehicles'. 

Having watched a few 'trucking Blogs' on You Tube it is clear many of the drivers see the devices added to their vehicles to warn others of them turning left as annoying or an additional mirror intended to help reduce blind spots as pointless. It is inherently seen that it is not their fault, not their vehicle but the cyclist - they are the issue they should not be on the roads not to mention the many car drivers who 'don't get it'. 

While this is going on they are holding a camera with one hand talking to it, but they are a professional driver, so it is ok and safe to do this

Robin I'm going to get on my soap box for this..... 

Ive held my HGV 1 license for over 23 years now... 8 years of them was on European work... Ive seen sites to make you cringe cry and laugh... back last October I was told I had to attend a one day course on how to drive a truck and avoid cyclists.... it was the biggest load of B******t Ive ever been told... I spent 3 hours of it on a bike riding around deepest Somerset.... and 5 hours sat in a class room listening to more rubbish.... and guess what everyone else was in the wrong a part from the cyclist... you can stick   150 cameras to vehicles... trucks vans and cars... it still won't stop the ones who do it.... and there end being part of the road....  they won't ever learn... yes it does come down to  health and safety... and cheaper fleet insurance... all the big companies now enroll into the FORS and all there employees who drive have to take this stupid pointless course what is only  for London.... It's a joke... and guess what... I don't go to London lol....you said the answer to this.. 3 killed in 4 days on bikes... and it didn't involve big vehicles....

anyone who holds a camera while driving isn't professional at all...  I could go on and on... but I'm not...... stepping off my soap box now :wave

• Like 8

as a pedestrian who has had to leap out of the way at pedestrian crossings where cyclists dont see the red light as applying to them, I call it 50/50 between cars/ lorries and cyclists, if both the cyclists and the vehicle drivers were more careful accidents wouldnt happen. that said many years back as a cyclist i was knocked off by a car that overtook me then immediately turned left, leaving me sliding along the inside edge roof to stop. he had not even got a car length in front before he turned, but then I was going at a fair lick, so he may just have assumed he was well past me.

so vehicles keep an eye out for the cyclist (assume they will do something stupid), and cyclists, for your own safety follow the rules of the road.

I once came within inches of flattening 3 police cyclists, they cycled along the cycle path and appeared at the road crossing from behind the hedge hiding the cycle path at a fair lick, fortunately I had slowed for the crossing, boy did they look embarrassed. I had the width of the pavements warning when I saw them - lots of ABS braking.The hedge has since been considerably lowered so motorists stand a chance of seeing the cyclists

hedge.JPG

• Like 2

I have held an HGV licence by "grandfather's rights" but I took my class 2 test all the same, on an Army DUKW (left hand drive) on the streets of Barnstaple. Years later I upgraded to HGV 1 and drove sugar beet lorries for Alan Shorten in Catfield, in the days when the Broads was in a recession and I needed an evening job! When I came back from France in 1983 I worked for 6 years as an international HGV driver for Foulgers, in Attleborough, mostly in France and Holland but also of course, all over the UK. I also have an International CPC - not one of the modern ones; a "real" one, as a transport manager.

So I thoroughly agree with what Scrumpy Cheddar is telling us. To those who have never done it, you simply cannot describe what it is like to drive a 40ft arctic, weighing 44 tons, in heavy traffic in a city centre. It is all about "road positioning". You can't just say "I think I'll turn left at these lights" - you have to set yourself up for it more than 500 yards in advance, or you simply won't get the trailer round the corner. At the point when you make the turn, you are probably more than 15ft from the nearside curb (though I have never measured it) so as to give yourself room for a 90 degree left, and this space is what some CXXX (that is C for cyclist) thinks he can use for overtaking, on the near side! Even though you are indicating left.

Yes, we have wide angle near side mirrors, but as you make that turn, the tractor unit is at more than 45 degrees to the trailer, so you can't see a thing in the mirrors! All you know is that there was no CXXX there before you started the turn. And don't say we need cameras, please, because at that point, you can't look into some little screen - you are trying to look where you are blasted well going.

If a cyclist goes up the nearside of a lorry or bus, standing at red traffic lights, at the same time ignoring that vehicle's left hand indicators, then he is simply and literally pedalling himself into his own death trap.

• Like 12

on the one road into and out of Brightlingsea, the council at a cost of 1. some thing million, put a cycle path in, to bypass the series of bends on a narrow bit of road going uphill to the church corner.

Guess what none of the cyclists use it, a double decker school bus knocked a cyclist off his bike on the right angled corner at the top of the hill and injured her. The bus driver was found to be at fault. What was the purpose of them wanting a cycle path and even after that accident 90% of them dont use it.

BAN CYCLISTS or failing that road tax them £100 per year each to use the roads.

Charlie

• Like 2

I do have to agree with scrumpy. And I'm not an hgv driver. 

They make truck drivers cycle. Well put cyclists in a truck and see what happens?

even driving a van can be difficult with blind spots. Education all around is what's needed. 

As a motorcyclists you learn to drive defensively. Either that or you don't last long. Anticipation is the key. If in doubt don't do it.  Mind a truck turning left stopping all the time might be much!

To finish there are idiots in all modes of transport so we all have to take responsibility for our actions and stupidity. 

I do think cyclists are now getting used to being treated as always in the right. It needs to be fairer. 

Cor someone kicked up a storm here. 

Lets keep the comments nice though people as this is going to get heated I know!:bow

• Like 1

I started this asking about sat nav/cameras and maybe changed it to cyclists.

But

I do not want to rant about cyclists (although in the main deservedly) I do believe anyone over 16 wanting to use any form of powered transport, bike, horse, push on scooter even a disabled scooter should have x amount of public liability insurance.

paul

• Like 4

Sorry Paul, but as you know the forum tends to go off at a tangent!!!

back on track, I didn't look at a camera (although my wife has the same problem with how far 3 feet is), but a Bluetooth intercom. 

I could only find one set and only available in the states. Never did get them!!

tried a vox walkie talkie set up ( proper quality set) but you miss the first couple of words and she wouldn't cough before she spoke to open the channel. 

We are back to shouting!!!!! Says it all!!!

• Like 1