Do You Have A Tender Behind?

Wussername

Go on then can a 'Techy' explain what I did wrong there?  I was advised that if doing longer posts to use the copy and paste method from a word doc, but when I do that the sizing posts with a mind of it's own and the spacing does its own thing too?  Before I hit the submit button, it all looks the same size with the spacing correct

Griff

On 2/19/2017 at 4:39 PM, BroadAmbition said:

BA NBN 309.JPG

Hmm. . . . . . 

Mast and sail well furled and lashed to the thwart. Rudder and tiller un-shipped. Oars stowed on the floorboards under the seats. Rowlocks un-shipped so they don't catch in anything and hung neatly, so they don't scratch the varnish. Stern line appears to have been cheesed down. Centre plate fully raised, with pin in.

All in all a perfect example.

Anyone would think you had been in the Navy!

• Like 7

This has turned into one of those threads which makes me mop the tears (of mirth) from my eyes and gives me a stitch in my side...especially Griff's talk of Dusty Dog. Thanks chaps! Just what the Dr ordered as I wallow in bed recovering from the lurgy.

:kiss

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Lop sided bow fend-off though, Problems with bow fend-offs does seem to be a BA thing.

I KNEW someone was going to say that! And I guessed who it would be!

By the way, something I missed - the mast and sails are stowed so as to overhang the stern, not the bow. So they also, will not catch in anything.

• Like 2

Agreed - that dinghy bow fender is not the best arrangement (at least it is not 'Blue') I am aware of its failings, it will be sorted when I get round to 'Doing' the dinghy  in the meantime I have enough to be getting on with regarding the mother ship, work keeps getting in  t road too, not to mention my shotgun cabinet and MrsG

Griff

• Like 3

In my youth (!) we had a converted ships lifeboat (from Jacksons in Peterborough ) which Dad converted in the front garden with a homemade sail and straw stuffed palliasses, but powered by a British Anzani twin.

The point being however that Vaughans pictorial of how to start and outboard, just rings so true - except that was the exception than the rule! My poor old Dad spent hours wrapping the string and pulling it, generally to no avail!! It was OK when it WAS going but the primary view was of him bent over it with his bum in the air! When he swore at me and then belted me, I generally did as I was told but I never understood why the outboard ignored him!

And there are hordes of people who people who have told me that Seagulls are super reliable - but never for me!  In the 70's I was to be found on the N Kent Coast where we had a swinging mooring which we accessed by an inflatable. 

It always started first pull on the way out, but having often spent a few hours on a mooring awaiting our return, it was somewhat fickle to say the least!! How I hated rowing ashore at the end of a sail - it somehow took away all the enjoyment of the day!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marshman said:

In my youth (!) we had a converted ships lifeboat (from Jacksons in Peterborough ) which Dad converted in the front garden with a homemade sail and straw stuffed palliasses, but powered by a British Anzani twin.

The point being however that Vaughans pictorial of how to start and outboard, just rings so true - except that was the exception than the rule! My poor old Dad spent hours wrapping the string and pulling it, generally to no avail!! It was OK when it WAS going but the primary view was of him bent over it with his bum in the air! When he swore at me and then belted me, I generally did as I was told but I never understood why the outboard ignored him!

And there are hordes of people who people who have told me that Seagulls are super reliable - but never for me!  In the 70's I was to be found on the N Kent Coast where we had a swinging mooring which we accessed by an inflatable. 

It always started first pull on the way out, but having often spent a few hours on a mooring awaiting our return, it was somewhat fickle to say the least!! How I hated rowing ashore at the end of a sail - it somehow took away all the enjoyment of the day!!

Marsh, I do I get a hint that you might be a foreigner then?;)

Re those return trips, you should have turned the petrol off and the ran engine 'till it cut out through fuel starvation, now go back forty years and try again!

47 minutes ago, marshman said:

Nope - born and bred a Norfolk lad, but to be fair went away to find fame and fortune - found neither so ended up back here!!

Of course now you're famous... We try and spot Marshy every time we see Albion! 

Uncle Albert once bought a perambulatory tractor. Think front end of old grey Fergie with two handles sticking out the back. The tractor came with a miniature plough, harrows and discs. Weeks the old boy spent repairing the engine. Then months trying to get it started...dislocating his shoulder, breaking fingers and his wrist until one day it started. The beast throbbed and rumbled, the huge engine sitting atop meter tall iron wheels. Uncle Albert grasped the handles and cautiously engaged the drive. With a cough and a fart the tractor shot off down the back garden at around 40mph. So fast was Uncle Albert travelling that his legs were making Roadrunner style circular motions before he finally gave up running and let his legs fly behind him. The tractor careened around the Orchard  slamming into trees, Uncle Albert hanging onto the handles for grim death as he too was slapped into tree trunks. Eventually Uncle Albert had to let go and the tractor shot through the back fence, across the back field and nosedived into a ditch where it came to rest and the engine died. Uncle Albert lay battered on the ground. Three broken ribs and badly bruised legs.

The old farmer next door sidled into our garden and lighting his pipe looked down at Uncle Albert. 

'You know what yer problem is youth? ' said the farmer.

'What's that? ' asked Uncle Albert. 

'Thas' a bloody idiot lad! ' answered the chuckling farmer as he sauntered back through the hole in the fence. 

• Like 6