Creating Videos - Hints And Tips

YnysMon

I'm thinking of having a go at creating a video of our next trip (29th April - only 8 weeks to go!).  Has anyone got any useful tips for a beginner, like what software to use, and where to source music if I don't want YouTube to block your vid.  Also, if I borrow my son's go-pro, will I be able to combine shorts off my Canon SX270 with material off the go-pro?

thanks

Helen

Hi, I think I may be able to help...

Firstly a note on music - you have three options so far as You Tube and music goes:

• Don't use any music
  • Use royalty free music
  • Use the music you want to use

I prefer the third option - and by so doing, legally you are infringing copyright - just like you do when you share that CD you bought with others, or think you own the music because you bought the CD - you don't you just own the media (in this case a disc) the music is on. So you see the picture developing here it is complicated.  But what if you do as me and use any old music? Well, three things can happen:

Firstly, You Tube will use special software to scan and find the music you have used, identify the artist and track and from there which record company such was licensed from.  Usually you get an email from You Tube telling you that you have a copyright notice - but not to worry you've done nothing wrong and no action is going to be taken, but a heads up to say adverts will appear on your video.  This is what I like to happen.

A second option may happen, but the video will be blocked in certain countries - usually Germany.  I won't go into why but suffice to say should this happen  your video will also be blocked from playing on mobile phones, tablets, smart TVs and the like and you may be limited on where you can embed it.  This is especially prone to Sony/UMG music.

It is very rare these days that a music track cannot be monitised (showing adverts) by the record label, built in those cases they will mute the audio - this is everything all your video which is a massive pain and has happened to me in the past.  You then need to re-edit and upload with new tracks.  Now you can get copyright claims against you - but you will be warned and asked to take down the material in question, it is only when people do not despite warning their channel is deleted.

So now we have covered music, how about getting the video up on there?  You can use the actually pretty good You Tube editor - you upload the raw video files and use their software to stitch them together that costs nothing but is a bit clumsy especially on slower connections - so you will want something to edit on your actual computer, and for this just have a look on Google for reviews and products, then head over to Amazon to see what the cheapest deal might be. You drag in your video files, from any camera, and then can stitch them together in order - adjust the length, add some fades in and out, music, titles etc and then produce a final single video from the bits of video, audio etc you put it.  The final most time consuming part is called Rendering.  Plenty of guides on You Tube for different editing software to help with this.

Thanks Robin, that's really helpful, straightforward and reassuring!

I've been looking at some lovely videos that Robin and other forum members have linked to their holiday tales.  Do most people use the YouTube editor, or has anyone got any other software they would particularly recommend?

As John says your computer may have something basic already, I had a look and for £25 there is Video Director 2016: http://amzn.eu/8Izvv0d 

You certainly only need this level - take the videos off your camera (usually SD card) drag and drop into editing software, then cut the bits you do not want, join the parts you do, add any text and music. You will after some experimenting see how you can tell a story through video and also how what you choose to keep and where can shape it or change things which is the beauty of editing to me.

• Like 1

I used the YouTube editor for my first couple of videos and it was really easy to do. But I then realised it had automatically created what is now a Google Photos account with my photos that I used in the video but without telling me. Plus there was no way of saving the video back onto my computer so that I had my own copy. There may be ways of doing this but not straightforward youTube functionality.

So I switched to using iMovie on my Mac. That works well although I could do with finding a manual for it as it is sometimes trial and error ... and if I haven't used it for a while I forget how to get started. But it means I have all the media and a copy of the finished video stored on my computer before I upload it to YouTube. 

As for music copyright I try to use something that I feel fits the atmosphere I want to create and the length of my video perfectly. And then I check out the copyright situation on YouTube.

Once you have created your YouTube channel and signed in, if you go to Video Manager which is underneath the search bar at the top of the page, then on the left click on Create, then on Music Policies, you can search the track you want to use and see what it says. It's amazing how often what you are looking for will be listed. And if the specific track isn't there then I have a bit of a look at the artist's other music to see what the copyright situation is likely to be. You don't have to be using their editor to make the video in order to do this.

For me, finding and fitting the music is the bit that takes the longest ... because I want it to be just right. :)

• Like 1

Hi Helen

For 'Royalty Free' music I use "Incompetech" at http://incompetech.com/music/ just make sure that you follow the instructions on this page http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/faq.html to credit the music on a rolling title at the end of the video.  I have had problems, like Robin, with commercial music on videos I have uploaded to YouTube which I hadn't originally intended to.

For editing it depends if you are using PC or Mac, for Mac the cheapest and easiest option is iMovie or if you want something more complex DaVinci Resolve (FREE) on the Mac App Store or Final Cut Pro (not free) which is what I use.  Sorry I can't help with Windows PCs.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I think I'll start off the Windows movie maker, as I don't want to start buying stuff until I have a try.   I might hate the whole process, on the other hand I might love it and then the additional hints on software to buy will be helpful.  Jean's experiences with YouTube are food for thought - I don't want to just upload something and then not be able to save it.  Thanks for the hints on sourcing music tracks too.

Interesting to see what you're using Bryan as I always enjoy your videos. :wave

And Helen, now that I've started doing it I really enjoy just messing around with some photos, video clips and music, and seeing what I can make with it. :)

Thanks Jean.  I've been making my way back through the holiday tales that people have posted on the forum. I think I've got as far back as 2014 or 2013.  I love hearing of other people's adventures and have picked up some really useful tips on the way, especially the 'what not to do' gleaned from the write-ups of those brave souls who record their mishaps (which happen to us all now and then).  :facepalm:I've enjoyed watching the videos that you and Bryan linked to your tales.  I've also watched all of Robin's videos.

:wave

Helen

• Like 1

Jean

If you go to the iBookstore app on your mac and search iMovie you will find some guides, some free some paid for, which you can download on to your mac

This is where you find all of apple's manuals & guides.

I also use Final Cut Pro and love it but as Bryan said, DaVinci Resolve is very good (and free)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deebee29 said:

Jean

If you go to the iBookstore app on your mac and search iMovie you will find some guides, some free some paid for, which you can download on to your mac

This is where you find all of apple's manuals & guides.

Ok ... next question ... where do I find the iBookstore app please? Sounds like I have missed a trick here. I'm sure I use very little of what my beautiful Mac has to offer. :)

Although I do take video films ( https://www.youtube.com/user/trambosqueen) but not of the Broads and have only ever used music once when I was using stills, I have noticed it is the only one You Tube will not let me monetise even though I used their music if anyone has any ideas?

While on the subject of Broads videos, thanks to everyone on the NBN and elsewhere who does publish. There is such a variety of styles but all (well most) of them enjoyable to watch.

Fred

• Like 1

Hi Jean

sorry it's took so long to get back to you.

you will find the iBooks app in your Applications folder or if you use the launcher it's on the first page (unless you've moved it of course).

once you launch it you'll find a tab at the top left that will say either Library or IBooks store.

you want it in bookstore mode then you can use the search box (top right)  and search for imovie

it works just like the app store