Broads Authority Footing Bill For New Railway Signs?

ranworthbreeze

Sue Hines has just posted on Facebook the following:-

"Unbelievably, the Broads Authority is commissioning new train station signs welcoming people to the national park which is not a national park! Beccles will be the first lucky station to have a sign promoting the park with other signage to follow around the Broads. "

Regards

Alan

Come on now, this is probably the result of numerous meetings involving countless expenses claims, gallons of tea, coffee, biscuits, and possibly other stuff all paid for by us!

Just how ungrateful can us boaters be, especially after the hike in tolls to pay for such wonderful things.  :naughty:

Did anybody mention boat waste disposal?  :naughty::naughty:   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A.J.B. said:

I can't imagine for 1 minute that nav money is being spent on this,,,,,,not a chance!

Consider, Andy, that lines are blurred in regard to the overlap of accounts. Also consider that about half our toll now goes towards Authority 'overheads'  so whilst tolls might not directly pay for this latest  'deceit' there can be no doubt that the frivolous expenditure on this personal vanity project can only come about because there is money elsewhere in the system to take up the slack.  Solar lighting atop the Breydon posts, unnecessary to some of us of course (!), would be a positive safety measure whilst this 'I'm the CEO of a National Park' fiasco serves no practical purpose other than to bolster a misaligned, personal 'vision'. Just my opinion of course but getting on with the things that really matter would be a positive step in the right direction.

How can anyone claim that the Broads is going to be a better and safer place to be by wasting money on these entirely pointless signs, especially as they further promote a lie?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

I have a sign for Mr Paxman, in fact I have two of them and Churchill used the polite version! :naughty:

Is this Jeremy Paxman? I have a sign for him too! On the other hand, if we are talking about Dr Packman, Jenny Morgan says all that needs saying (and a lot more!) 

1 hour ago, A.J.B. said:

What ever anyone believes to be Dr Packham reasons for installing signs at rail stations, it won't be coming out of tolls income.

Paxman, Packman, Packham - I'm getting very confused! 

Whatever, it's good to have A.J.B's assurance re the installation costs.

2 hours ago, A.J.B. said:

What ever anyone believes to be Dr Packham reasons for installing signs at rail stations, it won't be coming out of tolls income.

Still public money that could be better spent. I too doubt that it will be coming directly out of navigation/tolls revenue but it is still coming out of Authority income, half of which comes from tolls. 

• Like 1

A.J.B how can you be sure Dr Packard isnt funding this signage from the Toll Account?  

What will he do next, commission a statue of himself Angel Of The North style and make this erection of himself at the Berney Arms so he can keep watch on all he rules......and us plebs?? 

Dnks34,

I can't be 100% sure, but every penny has to be accounted for and allocated to a budget, so it would be very easy to find out how this was funded.

We have to jump through hoops to make sure what we do comes out of the correct budget for the job we are doing, right down to nuts and bolts for a countryside site maintenance. It is very important to the BA that the correct funding is used at all times.

So as I said before, I would be gobsmacked if the signs came from the toll account.

• Like 2

Thank you for that information A.J.B. I hope that will put this latest set of rumblings to bed.

Please don't get me wrong, I am no friend of the current boss of the BA, and I agree with many of the posts that highlight his shortcomings, but I do worry when actions are attributed to him before he has done them and possibly had no intention of doing them.

I do not feel that an article in the EDP for example should be given any greater weight than say perhaps the mad ramblings of a drunk in a pub. Accuracy was never their long suit. I would however go so far as to say that I give it greater credence than I would to Facebook, and I rate Facebook as far more reliable than Twitter.

Sue Hines makes a statement on Facebook. It gets chatted about here and before you know it, the tale becomes one of Dr P is getting it in the neck for raiding the navigation fund.

This does nothing for this forums reputation of balance and fairness. When we need to raise our eyebrows at Dr P, let it please be for good reason, and for something he has actually done. 

• Like 10