Why Do We Need Rhond Anchors?

thingamybob

To go with the rhond anchors for those really wild moorings, have a look at this 1960s hire boat and see whats on the foredeck. A good long gangplank. 

Up She Goes!

Still common on canal boats but never seen today on Broads craft, hire or private.

Fred

• Like 3

I made one for Brilliant, mainly in respect of stern mooring with an outboard in the way. 

A sturdy old shelf from the shed, I drilled holes for some braid, added more varnish and a sprinkling of Budgie grit for non slip. Sorted. :Sailing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, springsong said:

I remember gangplanks as you say Fred every boat had one including the above Bittern. I going to have one on SP but with my having no balance I thought probably not a good idea. Here I am trying one at an earlier age.

Fairwind April 1951.jpeg

I had a similar jumper and reigns to that little lad in the picture.

s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, springsong said:

I remember gangplanks as you say Fred every boat had one including the above Bittern. I going to have one on SP but with my having no balance I thought probably not a good idea. Here I am trying one at an earlier age.

Fairwind April 1951.jpeg

Into bondage at an early age!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

I had a similar jumper and reigns to that little lad in the picture.

With the shorts and wellies (interchangeable with sandals depending on the likely amount of standing water/mud), I thought it was the de rigueur rig for small boys out and about well into the 70s :razz:

ah the pathfinders, I wore those out too quick, we went for the tuf's these had a 12 month guarantee, and I could usually wear out 3 pairs before that expired (we had a very good shoe shop locally, and they used to give us the next size up each time when replacing under guarantee). I remember similar sandals and reins though

My Old Man was a great believer in the CO-OP and we did the majority of our shopping there. This was in the day when they still had traditional department stores. I was a tad "rough" on my shoes and seemed to wear through the soles rather rapidly. I found myself going to school in some monstrosities called "Goliath".

They were literally work boots without the collar for the ankle! Great thick moulded rubber soles. I didn't half get some stick at school! Much to my Dad's mystification, I somehow managed to wear through these just as quickly. Partly due to my desire to wear the bu**ers out and get a different pair. Imagine my horror when I discovered that they had an unconditional (almost) guarantee for 12 months! This kept me in Goliaths for some six years having at least a pair a year!

It seems Goliath still exist very close to where I live! I shall not be visiting!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

My Old Man was a great believer in the CO-OP and we did the majority of our shopping there. This was in the day when they still had traditional department stores. I was a tad "rough" on my shoes and seemed to wear through the soles rather rapidly. I found myself going to school in some monstrosities called "Goliath".

They were literally work boots without the collar for the ankle! Great thick moulded rubber soles. I didn't half get some stick at school! Much to my Dad's mystification, I somehow managed to wear through these just as quickly. Partly due to my desire to wear the bu**ers out and get a different pair. Imagine my horror when I discovered that they had an unconditional (almost) guarantee for 12 months! This kept me in Goliaths for some six years having at least a pair a year!

It seems Goliath still exist very close to where I live! I shall not be visiting!

I bet you never wore out the brake blocks on your bike though :naughty:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...