• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

thingamybob

Why Do We Need Rhond Anchors?

To go with the rhond anchors for those really wild moorings, have a look at this 1960s hire boat and see whats on the foredeck. A good long gangplank. 

Up She Goes!

Still common on canal boats but never seen today on Broads craft, hire or private.

Fred

• Like 3

It could of course be a futuristic boat, and what you thought was a gang plank was in fact an array of 10 solar panels lol... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I remember gangplanks as you say Fred every boat had one including the above Bittern. I going to have one on SP but with my having no balance I thought probably not a good idea. Here I am trying one at an earlier age.

Fairwind April 1951.jpeg

• Like 3

I made one for Brilliant, mainly in respect of stern mooring with an outboard in the way. 

A sturdy old shelf from the shed, I drilled holes for some braid, added more varnish and a sprinkling of Budgie grit for non slip. Sorted. :Sailing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, springsong said:

I remember gangplanks as you say Fred every boat had one including the above Bittern. I going to have one on SP but with my having no balance I thought probably not a good idea. Here I am trying one at an earlier age.

Fairwind April 1951.jpeg

I had a similar jumper and reigns to that little lad in the picture.

s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, springsong said:

Fairwind April 1951.jpeg

Into bondage at an early age!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

I had a similar jumper and reigns to that little lad in the picture.

With the shorts and wellies (interchangeable with sandals depending on the likely amount of standing water/mud), I thought it was the de rigueur rig for small boys out and about well into the 70s :razz:

Ah the sandals I had forgotten those, lol. Seems a long time ago. Also the Clarkes Commando shoes with a compass in the heel. If you bought a pair you could join the "Pathfinders" club.

ah the pathfinders, I wore those out too quick, we went for the tuf's these had a 12 month guarantee, and I could usually wear out 3 pairs before that expired (we had a very good shoe shop locally, and they used to give us the next size up each time when replacing under guarantee). I remember similar sandals and reins though

I remmeber both those types of shoes as I worked in a shoe shop after school. The local Bobby used to also buy shoes and regularly came back and replaced them inside the guarrenttee time

My Old Man was a great believer in the CO-OP and we did the majority of our shopping there. This was in the day when they still had traditional department stores. I was a tad "rough" on my shoes and seemed to wear through the soles rather rapidly. I found myself going to school in some monstrosities called "Goliath".

They were literally work boots without the collar for the ankle! Great thick moulded rubber soles. I didn't half get some stick at school! Much to my Dad's mystification, I somehow managed to wear through these just as quickly. Partly due to my desire to wear the bu**ers out and get a different pair. Imagine my horror when I discovered that they had an unconditional (almost) guarantee for 12 months! This kept me in Goliaths for some six years having at least a pair a year!

It seems Goliath still exist very close to where I live! I shall not be visiting!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

My Old Man was a great believer in the CO-OP and we did the majority of our shopping there. This was in the day when they still had traditional department stores. I was a tad "rough" on my shoes and seemed to wear through the soles rather rapidly. I found myself going to school in some monstrosities called "Goliath".

They were literally work boots without the collar for the ankle! Great thick moulded rubber soles. I didn't half get some stick at school! Much to my Dad's mystification, I somehow managed to wear through these just as quickly. Partly due to my desire to wear the bu**ers out and get a different pair. Imagine my horror when I discovered that they had an unconditional (almost) guarantee for 12 months! This kept me in Goliaths for some six years having at least a pair a year!

It seems Goliath still exist very close to where I live! I shall not be visiting!

I bet you never wore out the brake blocks on your bike though :naughty:

• Like 1

Not rhond anchors I know but you have to be impressed by that puny crane jib and what look like unravelling rope strops. I hope the boat's not being lifted out further.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 10:56 PM, trambo said:

Up She Goes!

I would guess they are just lifting the stern to clear the propellor.

Interesting old crane, made from a wartime "Quad" army field gun tractor.

• Like 1