Woodbastwick Moorings

marshman

The "No Mooring" signs are still in evidence - now the landlord at the Ferry has failed in his bid to carry on with the stern mooring experiment, you would have thought that he may wish to return those Woodbastwick moorings so the public  could benefit. Shame really - people enjoyed those moorings. Always plenty to watch.

• Like 6

Perhaps overnight some local unworthy could just pop down and "un nail" the notices from the posts!

Incidentally good to see this afternoon he was adopting the "double mooring allowed" ruling, but will it last....??

If anyone  sees stern on mooring for boats other than dayboats, a photo please to Broads Control..!!

I asked that of the BA and they said that the landowner - Cators - had decided that they did not want it used so have closed it. Seems they are trying to discourage use of the road to the moorings. Why they want to do that is anyones guess.:38_worried::Sailing

I don't think that there is any question of access to the ferry/staithe and I do not think they would have any success in closing that - its not even marked as a track but as a road but the "slipway" I guess is a bit different.

In fact I am not sure it really is a slipway and I think i have seen warnings of that before, in that it has a sharp dropoff further in - my guess is that it has been obstructed to stop people using it as a slipway and then protesting that they had got into difficulties.

But cannot see any point of the notices now - perhaps one night they will disappear!!! Don't look at me.......!!

SteveO, Poppy, Bobdog, Andyfish - So much for a "Friendly Forum":39_angry: 

Comments displaying intolerance like that in relation to race, colour or creed would have had comments moderated and the posters vilified.

There are many folk who seem unable to work together to promote enjoyment of the countryside around us and, in my experience, schooling has far less of a role in intolerant behaviour than self-interest and greed.

Unfortunately, the peddling of ignorant stereotypical views such as yours seems to be seen as fair game these days and is both unfair and rude to the many thousands of hard-working families that forgo many things that others see as "essential" to give their children the best possible start in life.

Rant over, I'm off to enjoy the weather...

• Like 2

johnm

I think you may have misunderstood those posts, I feel sure the comments were made sarcastically. Certainly none of those forum members you have mentioned could by any stretch of the imagination be called 'intolerant'. Those Woodbastwick moorings are a sad loss and the comments would have been made as a dig at the landowners.

• Like 2

I have to say that I thought it a bit unnecessary. I am sure he had no say in being Harrow educated. My Grandfather was a Wigan Coalminer, my Father won a scholarship to a private school and did very nicely indeed. I was Public School educated at probably the nearest one to Harrow we played against them and did CCF together. But I had no choice, it was where I was sent and would be pretty miffed if I was judged on just how I was educated. And yes I have to agree with johnm, most of my friends at school were semi-detatched, suburban not landed gentry who's parents did struggle to meet the fees and went without.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

most of my friends at school were semi-detatched, suburban not landed gentry who's parents did struggle to meet the fees and went without.

I went to public school and my parents lived on a boat. On Thorpe Island!

I know that remark is flippant but it does show that there are no defined categories, in this.

To be honest I had not noticed the potential import of the above comments until Johnm pointed them out, as I assumed those commenting must know the people better than I do. Are we referring to the landowner or the publican, since I had understood that the pub had the lease of those moorings and they had closed them in order to moor stern on outside the pub? In which case this decision was not down to the landowner.

I am not up to date with the details on this, of course.

I rather think that we are going off at a tangent with the 'intolerance' of others. For a kick-off I have met various Cators in regard to Broads matters and I have to say that I found them nothing less than dedicated to the cause of the Broads, fair minded, courteous and well aware of their responsibilities. I have absolutely no idea what schools they attended!

• Like 7