Old Broads Boats

webntweb

Not on the Broads but hopefully of interest as both are Broads built.

Been scanning some old slides before they fade away forever so the quality isn't too good.

Pic was taken above the sluice on the Witham in Boston, Lincs sometime in May 1994.

The boat in the background is I think Fowlers Dazzling Waters, which at 39ft may have been the biggest they built in that style.

Roy

0611a Broom & Fowler r Witham Boston.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/30/2017 at 4:09 PM, webntweb said:

Not on the Broads but hopefully of interest as both are Broads built.

Been scanning some old slides before they fade away forever so the quality isn't too good.

Pic was taken above the sluice on the Witham in Boston, Lincs sometime in May 1994.

The boat in the background is I think Fowlers Dazzling Waters, which at 39ft may have been the biggest they built in that style.

Roy

0611a Broom & Fowler r Witham Boston.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A good mate,sadly now deceased,was crew on the Rix coasters going up to Colman's. His post from Haven Bridge onwards was on the bow with a loudhailer 'suggesting' where smaller craft should go on the way up and back. He always reckoned after a trip to Norwich the ship was 5 knots faster as they'd polished her bottom!

• Like 2

One of those coasters once won me a race! As Stumpy has pointed out they used to rub bottom thus the undertow that they created was either very handy or a pain in the butt. If they were going your way & you just happened to be close under their stern then you could find yourself being drawn along most effectively. Problem came when you reached the race buoy that you needed to turn round. It could take some pretty hard pushing against the ship's stern to get away from the undertow and no way did we want to go to Norwich. On this one particular occasion the pilot, who must have been a Broads sailor in his spare time, jiggered with the ship's engine at just the right moment and I found my bow being kicked around the buoy!  From being nearly last I actually won a race, not very sporting though :angel:!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Lovely pictures from back in the day, thanks for sharing them. I also enjoy watching the many film clips that have been posted on Youtube, they show the Broads over a period of many years and are very interesting, especially the wooden boats. Surprising how many men wore a shirt and tie whilst boating.  Also, how much smaller most of the boats are compared with the current hire boats. 

I have not seen any pictures of our boat, Broadland Grebe. However, someone sent me some of Ripplecraft boats, not sure if I am allowed to post them here because I do not have the copyright to them. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, deebee29 said:

Here’s one of Water Rail from last September,  spotted this the other day while looking through some video I had rolling at the time

Thank you for posting, that was probably on our Southern Adventure, the fact that we had the canopy down must have meant it had stopped raining for a few minutes!  Where was it taken?

4 hours ago, w-album said:

Thank you for posting, that was probably on our Southern Adventure, the fact that we had the canopy down must have meant it had stopped raining for a few minutes!  Where was it taken?

It’s actually a frame from video (the camera was mounted and recording) on September 20th at 10:36 

just past St Benedicts Church mooring. You were heading towards Horning..

I have the video clip but can’t post it here 

• Like 1

Ah right we were just returning to Horning after staying the night at How Hill where we watched the starling murmeration (on the calendar!). We might have been going a bit faster than you are supposed to although you can see there is minimal wash.  Thank you again! Liz