Old Broads Boats

webntweb

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2018 at 14:00, w-album said:

The postcard that I didn't buy as found on Ebay of B773!

B773 Ebay near Potter.jpg

I have a copy of this postcard which I bought at the end of my first Broads holiday - we hired Delight X for a week in May 1964. I've still got a few photos from that holiday somewhere - think it might mean a trip to the loft!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aristotle said:

I have a copy of this postcard which I bought at the end of my first Broads holiday - we hired Delight X for a week in May 1964. I've still got a few photos from that holiday somewhere - think it might mean a trip to the loft!

Definitely a trip up to the loft is required!!!! Delight X went to the Shannon the following year or the end of that season and was still floating a few years ago - haven't been in touch with the owner for awhile!

On 08/04/2018 at 11:01, grendel said:

Marthams still hire out woodies. I have jayne for the may meet

Yeah, i know, me and some friends hired Judith 1 back in 75. Back then, i was very envious of everybody in their modern fibreglass boats, and always wanted to hire a Carribean from Wilds. Nowadays however, i would love to hire one of Marthams woodies, as i now appreciate them for what they are, beautiful and classic. Also, much warmer out of season being all timber. 

As for Jayne, is`nt she the fwd dv one with the toilet and shower door in the aft cockpit?. Not very convenient if moored stern on at a busy Womack staithe etc?.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Not that old, but here is a section from past family holidays which bring back fond memories:

Your family certainly liked to try different styles of boat, aft cockpit, Sedan, Lowliner, flybridge, forward steer, they are all there

Hi LondonRascal 

Do you happen to have any other photos of the Ocean 30 you could share, as I think it looks familiar.... the D1 missing from the reg number. I think I still have those old curtains somewhere. 

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PCL023 said:

Hi LondonRascal 

Do you happen to have any other photos of the Ocean 30 you could share, as I think it looks familiar.... the D1 missing from the reg number. I think I still have those old curtains somewhere.  

Not only that, but dug out the 1997 brochure. Diamond Cruisers I believe only operated from Horning for a season. Truly awful boat with what was effectively a tarpaulin as a canopy, scratched perspex wind screens and steering cables so slack you had more than half a turn on the wheel before anything happened. However, it was so cheap for the hire one could not moan too much.

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6366 (2).jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Robin. 

Well it is the same boat and that was 1997, so it looks like someone gutted most of the inside and change the layout back to how it was supposed to be, with a settee on the starboard side and new galley. See what you mean by the canopy that looked a right disaster. I can also see the cabin windows have been changed or at least modified to hooper style. I must confess that it was only this year that I got round to changing the last Perspex windscreen to glass she had when we brought her in 2010. 

What a transformation since 1997 someone had done. 

Thanks again that really helps to fill in some blanks with regards to the history and paperwork we have. (And yes these were the same curtains that came with her in 2010, they were immediately changed)! :default_icon_e_smile:

Cheers

Paul

I may have some others somewhere - but what gets me is that single internal shot. I think I must have taken it because of the old hob, but it captures in a moment how boating was on the Broads. A simple telly that would not last very long on batteries, a galley that was functional - intended for people to easily cook in, look at the cooker three hobs but the space you get for pans, and a big oven.

Things change of course, and I have long been pro-modernity on boats, but sometimes I think you can have a bit too much simplicity. I see some boats these days with just a double hob, small oven and not even a draining board for the sink. It has a galley if you must, but seems more designed to have someone eat out than cook aboard.

Anyway, it just goes to show how much has changed internally and how something that in 1997 looked almost ready for the scrape heap can be made to look first class. I had a look on Craig's Database and you have a lovely boat now and will keep an eye out for her on the rivers.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Robin 

We are up the boat this weekend, to do some small adjustments, the larger ones to get the few last jobs done on the other boat at Martham ready for launch next week. I will take some interior shots for comparison and add them. As is the way with boats there’s always something to do. 

I will get my dad to have a look in his albums to see what old photos he has that may be of further interest to this thread. 

Cheers 

Paul 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Yarmouth Yacht Station early July 63. Moored three up and outside school holidays.

Adastra from O'Heftt of Oulton Broad; knew she had been rebuilt in the mid 60s but didn't know she was originally Graham Bunn's Southwind until I looked at Craig's database.

Loch Ness from Lloynes of Wroxham; knew she was an Arnott Fowler design but didn't know she was built by Little Ships - thanks again Craig.

I recognise the lines of the boat in the background on the left but can't think of her name. Similarly the boat on the right. I'll have to leave these two to the experts.

The old railway bridge from Yarmouth Beach station is also in the background.

The young lady standing on the two boats was very friendly. I remember her name and where she lived but I think we'll leave it a that.

Broads 63 neg 03 Loch Ness YYS.jpg

• Like 2

The boat up front is a Loch Earn class from Loynes. Notice they used to have a red ensign. Not sure about the one near the camera.

Notice the old "iron bridge" which carried the M&GN railway across the river, from Yarmouth Beach station and then across the Breydon swing bridge.

Notice also the braided sizal rope fenders, with a canvas covering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, webntweb said:

I wondered about the fenders. I only remember them as braided rope fenders; I don't remember the canvas covers. 

The mark of a "class boatyard"! This was much more effective in protecting the white paint. We used to have to scrub them every week.

Mooring lines and fenders were made of  sizal as it was a "soft laid" rope, so easy to handle and splice and not too expensive. Manilla was reserved for halyards and running rigging on sailing boats. Hemp was a "hard laid" rope and would resist rot the longest.

Fenders would have been better made of Coir as this was a "light line" which floats, but it was difficult to obtain in those days. The Navy used it for line throwing rifles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I am pretty it's the boat to the right is one of Little Ships 'Gay Venture' class

3 hours ago, webntweb said:

Yarmouth Yacht Station early July 63. Moored three up and outside school holidays.

Adastra from O'Heftt of Oulton Broad; knew she had been rebuilt in the mid 60s but didn't know she was originally Graham Bunn's Southwind until I looked at Craig's database.

Loch Ness from Lloynes of Wroxham; knew she was an Arnott Fowler design but didn't know she was built by Little Ships - thanks again Craig.

I recognise the lines of the boat in the background on the left but can't think of her name. Similarly the boat on the right. I'll have to leave these two to the experts.

The old railway bridge from Yarmouth Beach station is also in the background.

The young lady standing on the two boats was very friendly. I remember her name and where she lived but I think we'll leave it a that.

Broads 63 neg 03 Loch Ness YYS.jpg

Pretty sure that’s my mum !

• Haha 2