Old Broads Boats

webntweb

Wroxham Friday evening in early September 81 - mixed bag of weather the last couple of days.

Some of Loynes fleet of woodies. Can see a couple of Lock Ness class; maybe a Loch Tulla or Arron class. Is the nearest one Loch Sandy?.

The nearest boat sheds are Loynes - can't remember if the newer sheds next to them are Loynes as well.

Would the sheds in the distance on the left of pic still have been Ernest Collins at this date?

Pic is very grainy as scanned from a slide that has deteriorated.

625a Wroxham.jpg

• Like 7

The sheds on the other side of Loynes dyke do indeed belong to them, they were their building sheds. The sheds right down on the corner I think were W.K. Barnes which became Barnes Brinkcraft which was just around the corner and into Daisy broad, and was pwned by a Mr Brinkhoff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi the sheds on the left are Ernest Collins and became Barnes Sailloft property and the mooring in front, in the far centre you have Jack Powles. Presumably this photo was taken cc 1980 based on the boats and sheds remaining. Great to see these photos seems like yesterday. Before my time however I believe Powles used to be on left and Collins on the right back in the 50s/60s 

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/01/2019 at 08:53, AdnamsGirl said:

The day boat W714 is indeed still very much around .... she is used as a ferry by the Barton House Railway on their open days. Second row, middle picture:

http://www.bartonhouserailway.co.uk/gallery/

As much as I'd like to take the credit for knowing this, I was actually sent the link to share (thank you Andrew :default_cool:)

Great photos btw Roy.

Carol

Silver Dart is indeed used by the Barton House Railway (BHR) and I often have the pleasure of being in the driving seat.

Does anyone know of Silver Dart's history before joining BHR?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ady68 said:

Hi new to this forum stuff but just thought I would put this on not on the broads anymore an only taken a few days ago but may be of interest 

5B997D7B-B1A6-49A9-8F1C-95032D394D17.jpeg

Looks like N801 on the bow, have a look on craigs database and see which one it is. Definitely NOT Jupiter, as she had the "peak", or "brow" over the front windows removed. So either ex Aston Mars, Saturn, or Neptune.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ady68 said:

Hi new to this forum stuff but just thought I would put this on not on the broads anymore an only taken a few days ago but may be of interest 

5B997D7B-B1A6-49A9-8F1C-95032D394D17.jpeg

Sorry Ady, i forgot to say welcome to the forum.

As for your boat, The last of the Aston Bourne 40s is still on hire at nearly 50 years of age, they were built in the summer and winter of 70 - 71 and called the Thames class. The Mars class were built new for the 70 season, and the first of the type, the Vega class new for the 69 season.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

well I already have made 2 hulls in that design, maybe I should try and take a mould off of them and do as the original did to become the bourne 40  moulds.

I can do mould tools. ..

You could call it the Bourne 3/40

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ady68 said:

Thanks for the welcome and yes it is the n801 it will be good to get some more history Now moored at the other end of the canal

image.jpg

Hi Ady,

Although it says Beccles on the back where Astons finished their hiring operation, The Mars class were built in their Loddon yard, which is now private moorings. I have very fond memories of this yard, as it was the first time we`d ever hired a boat when i was 11. but 12 when we came home.  What is the layout plan like, has it been altered?. Are you aware they all had light blue hulls, with white superstructure, and varnished wood rubbing strakes. 

i do have pics somewhere up in the loft, and should really dig them out and post some.

• Like 2

I've always thought it's a very elegant design and well worth preserving, Ady. The last photo you posted is quite interesting because the boat has the Aston lettering and Hoseasons Emblem from the 2000s and I'm pretty sure Mars was one of the very few in the class that remained in the much reduced Beccles fleet until it finished in 2008.  Your recent photos show it's sadly deteriorated in the last 11 years. 

• Like 2

I agree with Broads01, they were an attractive boat particularly as they were built in the early days of GRP on the Broads when many boats being built were bathtubs.

I realise that the idea of a hire boat (particularly in those days) was to get as many people on board as possible, but I do think that design would have benefited from a slightly shorter rear cabin to make the rear deck a little wider.

• Like 1