Old Broads Boats

webntweb

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

A good friend of mine had a Golden Hind bilge keeler, she was a lovely boat and it didn't need the skipper to be on a promise and the boat with a gale under its transom for it to get a shunt on. I was always a great fan of the Maurice Griffiths school of thought and his books are great favorites of mine, along with Black Sailed Traders and the Art of Coarse Sailing! 

Rereading this thread got the grey matter going, I had quite forgotten what a lovely boat those triple keel Golden Hinds were. 

I think Macwester made a very nice 22ft triple keel as well.

20200603_075547.thumb.jpg.05037d6d020e881b092932eb07b98616.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I think Macwester made a very nice 22ft triple keel as well.

They did indeed, they handled well, were sea kindly and most of them looked good, for a synthetic boat! I always thought that they had an edge on Westerly. I had a regular once a month customer based at Birdham Pool who's idea of heaven was to sail down to East Head in Chichester Harbour, where we would lie for the weekend. He had the 26 which was an amazingly spacious, by my standards, boat. In the two years that I sailed with him we never crossed the bar, East Head was his comfort zone. I also had a regular customer who had a Silhouette, one of the plywood ones. He was a once a fortnight man, he never left the harbour either! Actually I always enjoyed sailing that boat, much to the amusement of other staff members. There were a number of people on our books like that, glad to pay for friendship and our ability, no one else to sail with and lacking in confidence and experience I suppose. 

• Love 1

I have very happy memories of East Head from the summer of 68. Whether I sailed down from Itchenor or took my Spitfire onto the private West Wittering Estate and walked over The Spit. West Sussex was a beautiful place back then.

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I have very happy memories of East Head from the summer of 68.

We probably saw each other then! For tuition we sailed tan sailed Wayfarers. If it was tuition aboard a customer's boat then it ranged from the Silhouette upwards, an S&S 44 centre-board Yawl being the biggest that I taught aboard. At that time in life I had a BSA Bantam and an Austin A47, a Spitfire was beyond the means of a humble sailing instructor who was actively supporting the Anchor Bleu and otherwise saving every penny towards getting married. We ranged all around that harbour and up onto the Downs on that Bantam, halcyon days that neither of us forgot.

• Love 1

We used to go up on the downs. The Royal Oak at Hooksway was a favourite. When he was in the UK Roy Orbison used to like the pub and would often turn up on a borrowed bike. Other favourites were The Horse and Groom at Singleton below Goodwood and The Crab and Lobster at Siddlesham Quay. Then a tiny pub frequented by the fowler/fisherfolk of Pagham Harbour. It is now a 4* hotel and the harbour a RSPB reserve. The Anchor Bleu was also a firm favourite. I have a picture by Hannah Cole who paints mostly Cornwall and Sussex in her distinctive style of The Anchor Bleu. Judith and I actually had our last pub lunch in there in Sept 2015 having moved on to Sussex for old times sake from The Master Builder at Bucklers Hard and the Southampton Boat Show.

20200603_132606.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

We probably saw each other then! For tuition we sailed tan sailed Wayfarers. If it was tuition aboard a customer's boat then it ranged from the Silhouette upwards, an S&S 44 centre-board Yawl being the biggest that I taught aboard. At that time in life I had a BSA Bantam and an Austin A47, a Spitfire was beyond the means of a humble sailing instructor who was actively supporting the Anchor Bleu and otherwise saving every penny towards getting married. We ranged all around that harbour and up onto the Downs on that Bantam, halcyon days that neither of us forgot.

After lunch we had a walk to the green and Judith took some photos and also where Shore Road meets Lower Home Lane. I have just done a collage, I hope they bring back memories for you Peter.

I had the use of an Enterprise, an Eleven Plus and a GP14, all owned by a family who had a summer retreat in Itchenor. My father had dealings with the two brothers who owned the place with their families. I think they owned a London Architectural practice.

20200603_142714.thumb.jpg.092003a492307eb5382f8750b411dfe0.jpg

• Like 1

In those days nicer, but my two spiritual homes of West Sussex and Purbeck are just so overcrowded now, ruined, imho. I could not believe that the road down to West Bexington had to be closed at the weekend. As late as the late 90s nobody went there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I could not believe that the road down to West Bexington had to be closed at the weekend.

Unfortunately perhaps, but with people not able to go to the likes of Benidorm or Faliraki this year, Norfolk's hot spots are also being inundated.  Not exactly ideal, especially as Norfolk is not geared up for it, indeed nowhere is. 

The likes of Julia Bradbury, Ben Fogle, Rick Stein et al. Do not help with their.

"We are going to show you a hidden away, secret place, where time has stood still"

5 minutes later:-

"If you go nowhere else you must come here"

It's not bl**dy hidden away or secret anymore is it? You have just told 6 million people! Why can't folk read a map and explore for themselves.

• Like 1

I can see a Connoisseur on this pic; there may also be another one hiding just in front of it.

Pic is the Canal du Rhône a Sète at Beaucaire in France, a couple of hundred yards from the Connoisseur base which I don't think Le Boat use.

At the top of the pic the canal does a right turn and used to lock down into the Rhône but that lock has been disused for many years. The present lock is a few miles down the canal, near what was a Crown Blue Line base at St Gilles (now Le Boat), where a branch locks down into the Petit Rhône.

0959 Beaucaire.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have thoroughly enjoyed spending the last hour or so reading through this thread, and it's lovely to see so many wonderful old boats. I found the stuff about Jenner's old yard very interesting too, especially as I never usually bother heading up that way. Can anyone shed any light on what the state of play is with that basin? The hotel opposite has a picture of it on their website and it has boats moored up. There also appears to be a wreck in the middle of it, would anyone care to educate me a little on that?

Jenner's Yard.PNG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed spending the last hour or so reading through this thread, and it's lovely to see so many wonderful old boats. I found the stuff about Jenner's old yard very interesting too, especially as I never usually bother heading up that way. Can anyone shed any light on what the state of play is with that basin? The hotel opposite has a picture of it on their website and it has boats moored up. There also appears to be a wreck in the middle of it, would anyone care to educate me a little on that?

Jenner's Yard.PNG

Calling Vaughan, calling Vaughan! You can have the full details from Vaughan, MaceSwinger. He’ll be along eventually. There will be details somewhere on the forum but they might take some finding.

I actually started having a google, and a couple of threads on this very forum popped up! It seems the wreck has been there some time, 1948 in fact! It's the remains of MGB56, the boat on which Cmdr Ron Ashby of Hearts Cruisers lived!

I had hoped that I would never see that picture again. Just to put you in the picture, that picture and the surrounding plannig issues probably occupied half of Norfolk posting upwards of around 10k posts, or possibly more some 5/6 years ago. By all means read them,but lets not open  old wounds again!!

You are right about that is Morning Flight - the son posts here under, unsurprisingly, Vaughan, aka Vaughan Ashby!!!

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, marshman said:

I had hoped that I would never see that picture again. Just to put you in the picture, that picture and the surrounding plannig issues probably occupied half of Norfolk posting upwards of around 10k posts, or possibly more some 5/6 years ago. By all means read them,but lets not open  old wounds again!!

You are right about that is Morning Flight - the son posts here under, unsurprisingly, Vaughan, aka Vaughan Ashby!!!

Blimey, I had no idea. I just got excited by the history of it, especially as I haven't been on a boat as far as Thorpe in a good 20 years, if not more!

How very sad for it to be so controversial. Understandably so though.

44 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

How very sad for it to be so controversial. Understandably so though.

It wasn't always controversial.

Here is what the old gunboat Morning Flight used to look like.

1613830066_Gunboat50s.thumb.jpeg.6a53b8bc2720a6bfda549aaa90e08aca.jpeg

Incidentally, the symbol I use as my avatar is her original Broads river toll disc.

Discy.thumb.jpeg.467af7d75ff8d6d860dec3460242f1fd.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1