Old Broads Boats

webntweb

Bexs - you should try sailing on the Broads! Takes some skill with those big sails and all those damned furriners getting in the way!!!!

I have.

My parents hired from Martham & Eastwood when I was a teenager.

I started hiring myself, from what was the Norfolk Broads Yachting Co., when I 19 and then when they sold most of the fleet to Martham.

The last time I hired a yacht was my honeymoon on Zoe back in 2012.

Our first child was born a year later. Thats when we switched to hiring motors boats. It was more practical with a 1 year old as I am/was the only sailor in the family.

I am working on that though... This my six year old daughter racing her Poole AB.

IMG_0895.JPG.432734ae593eb8181943608583fd784a.JPG&key=ef1a96cf774f8791b1838eb17006f0274d4849f3526801ce696bad2e31f2371e

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 4

Bexs - just love to see young kids doing that!  Just a real shame more do not realise what a thrill it is to be able to sail and be in charge of a boat!

Colin Buttifant has a couple of good larger boats and so do Olivers Sailing Holidays up at Martham Ferry as well - for when they get a little older! Other than that make an excuse to have a lay day in Ludham, or indeed Martham and take out one of their bigger day boats. Either of the Yare and Bure boats or indeed the Waveney will give you a decent sail but the Rebels at Hunters would be unlikely to disappoint even a half decent sailor!!! Just love them!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Woodie,

Yes it is Rockland St Mary and the New Inn across the road.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for confirming the location, at least my memory has completely faded!

I recall walking from there to a pub ln another village-can’t remember where-in daylight. Came out, obviously pitch black, no torch and the walk back through the lanes was past a church and graveyard. After a ‘couple’ of beers and the wind in the trees things seemed bloody spooky!!

Funny the things you remember 

11 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Not as much as you might think, looking at the interior photos. It looks in good nick but a very original 1970s hire boat interior. 

You’re right, just looked at all the photos. Seems kind of odd I was on it 40 years ago!

Always liked them, still wouldn’t mind it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One for the slightly older members: what's the name of this one and where is it?

I know the name of the boat but not where it is, Thought the building on the right may be a pub - Bell at St Olaves, probably not tall enough though.

Broads trip boat.png

• Like 1

The present bridge at St Olaves has been there since 1847, although the original Iron girders were replaced by steel ones in the 60s.

Even at low water, I can't see how, with all those people on top and even if they could drop the funnel, it could have passed through the bridge. Perhaps it just did trips between Gt Yarmouth and St Olaves.

Anybody know the name of the boat?

19 minutes ago, trambo said:

I think she is the "Queen of the Broads" but there were a couple of steamers around at this period which I presume to be the early 1900s. I know her funnel dropped to navigate bridges.

Fred

The caption on the pic says Pride of the Yare which was a sister ship of the Queen. I think the Pride's last year on the Broads was 1950 as she was used as a trip boat on the Trent from 1951.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 07:27, trambo said:

A nice atmospheric shot by Geoff Stone on Flickr. Parked at Applegate's, had it become part of Woods in 1959?

Trip to the Norfolk Broads, 1959

Are you sure this is Applegates - it looks terribly like the shed and dyke at Woods where the day boats now  go from?

• Like 1