Old Broads Boats

webntweb

14 hours ago, webntweb said:

Salhouse Sept 81 - how we used to moor.

620a Chris Karl Salhouse.jpg

That's one of my early Broads memories, from the same year.  I have an image in my mind of our first hire boat, bows on the mud. By the time we visited Salhouse a second time the mooring quays were there and it didn't seem quite the same. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, trambo said:

There's an extraordinary shot by Christopher Chatfield on flickr of Salhouse in 1973. How busy it was those days.

Moored in a Broad

One of Breydon Marines "Lady Caron" class there about 4 boats in. I always wondered what happened to them. I used to for some time see one of their "Breydon Duchess" class  (the one that had the fixed top and reverse raked screen) moored at WRC, and also saw one moored on the Tent near Chilwell in Nottingham. She was a bit stern heavy, so i hope the owner kept her afloat.  Is S105 Smuggler?.

• Like 1

To my recollection, as of yesterday , none of Salhouse is chained off although the very far end was used to fill in with mud to restore a relatively small piece of reedbed and  that piece of the spit so as to avoid that part of the spit being " lost " - it had got very narrow in places and there was a very real danger of it being washed through into the Broad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garryn said:

Comming back north today across Breydon I estimate at least 50 boats where comming across heading south. Here's just a few of them. I cant ever remember seeing many when I've come across

20190526_094233.jpg

Ah but it depends when you're there. I made the same trip last Wednesday around 6pm (not long before low water). I think I saw one or possibly two boats coming the opposite direction and then between Great Yarmouth and Stracey Arms I was the only boat going anywhere. Today I suspect a little thing called a Bank Holiday came in to play. 

• Like 1

Spring half term is quite pricey..... Last week and the following two are probably the best value along with early September if you can do them.

May / June probably has the edge as the weather is usually reasonable and the days are longer.

Not surprised to see so many boats crossing this week.... In contrast, we came back up North last Thursday morning and only saw one other boat until we got to Yarmouth. That was with a 6AM start from Somerleyton though!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Well just married very cosy, we married in 72 as well, but didn't go on the Broads until 78, our honeymoon was spent in a tent we couldn't afford to rent a boat, But now 44 years later and  boat owners separate cabins are in order (Not so cosy) such is life LOL

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2019 at 23:13, grounded said:

If we are posting pictures of "old boats" here are three of Blue Wisp from Brundall. Taken on our honeymoon in 1972. That was one cosy boat!

Cheers

Chris

BW neg053.jpg

BW neg061.jpg

BW neg062.jpg

Hi Chris,  

A "Seamaster 20", very cosy indeed.  Great little weekenders for a couple, but a week would be pushing it.

In the background are a couple of Seamaster 25s, much better for a week for a couple.

Haveing said that, Karen and i will be on Lightning for a week from the end of this month. 2 people on a 43 ftr might be a little cramped  :default_laugh:

• Like 1

On 01/06/2019 at 23:13, grounded said:

If we are posting pictures of "old boats" here are three of Blue Wisp from Brundall. Taken on our honeymoon in 1972. That was one cosy boat!

Cheers

Chris

BW neg053.jpg

BW neg061.jpg

BW neg062.jpg

I forgot to say, the top 2 pics look like it may be "Marina Quays" at Great Yarmouth?.

23 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I forgot to say, the top 2 pics look like it may be "Marina Quays" at Great Yarmouth?.

Spot on. We covered some territory that week, from Brundall to Potter Heigham and back. And were very nearly capsized on Breydon Water just to add a little spice!