Rope around prop

Hi all

Firstly Happy New Year to you all.

I was intending spending it at WRC but her indoors thinks it would be too cold to stay on board.

Anyway, reason for the post is my mate has now got a rope caught around his prop after it fell off the pontoon whilst mooring. There are supposed to be rope cutters on the shafts but he does not want to fire up in case he does any more damage.

Probably another silly question but apart from a lift out is there any way to get the rope off.

(I told him not to change the name of his boat!)

regards

Wayne cheersbar

Hi found that using the engine only tightened things up .If you can get behind the boat from the bank or a dinghy and use a boat hook to pull it down from the prop at the same time as some one tuns the prop shaft from inside in the opposite direction to that which it got wound on or pull from the side again in the correct direction to go with the turning motion from the shaft has had some success in the past.Best of luck or you could do like Colin did and get in the river ,but then it was May!!!!!

im surprised there's not a invention called, buoyancy lift.

IT's a inflatable device which goes under the boat, at the stern, once under the boat, you inflate it, thus the boat rises out of the water a bit, just enough to get to the prop from the bank.

You will need one under the front as well maybe.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, The chances are, if you`ve run the engine even just for a short while with the rope around the prop/shaft, it`s already melted toghether, and no amount of juggleing will free it. The only serious options are either a lift (or tow) out, or do as Jill-r suggests and call John at Maffett cruisers 01508 520344. It would probably be the quickest and cheapest in the long run. Regards to all................... Neil.

Hi all

I think my mate is going to get the boat lifted - probably easiest in the long run.

I am trying to get him to join the forum - all this "my mate" stuff sounds like I have done something I dont want to admit - it is my mate - honest!

So watch out for a newbie with a Seamaster.

Thanks all

Wayne

hi ya...

done this more than once (and I can see you watching this post Ian!!!) two guns

First time, rope wrapped around both sets of duoprops...how? ask swmbo :naughty:

engines stalled immediately...luckily we were in the marina basin and there were some lovely people there to help bring us in!!!

Had her lifted and the damn thing just slid off the props with ease!! So £150 down the drain!!!

Second time was when mooring at reedham marina and just one engine stalled this time. Mariotech suggested the gentle push pull method and she was free in seconds.

adam...(leroy bling) :pirate :pirate :pirate

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Adam, £150 for a quick lift out? :o:o:o 2 words with 6 letters, R,I,P, O,F,F. Not all boatowners are Millionaires. Regards to all.................... Neil.

im surprised there's not a invention called, buoyancy lift.

IT's a inflatable device which goes under the boat, at the stern, once under the boat, you inflate it, thus the boat rises out of the water a bit, just enough to get to the prop from the bank.

You will need one under the front as well maybe.

invent one Brian!

http://marinas-moorings.apolloduck.com/ ... l?id=98995

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, i remember seeing adverts for flexible water/fuel tanks not that long ago. I think they were called Flexi-tank or something like that, and advertised they could make (virtually?) any shape and size to fit whatever open space you had, and in their advertising photo`s, they showed some VERY large tanks inflated with air. AN INFLATEBLE DRY DOCK. Now there IS an idea, and a buisness opportunity if i`m not mistaken. Anybody fancy giving it a try?. If i had the money spare, i`d certainly investigate the idea. Regards to all.............Neil. :wave

I cant remember the make of the version I was looking for but they also make modular plastic pontoons.

The yanks may already do it but sooner or later the far east will do it cheaper with a improved version from here!