Time To Reflect | Brinks Serenade

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, Londonlad1985 said:

This last series has gone above and beyond! They are like something you might see on channel 4. Moving reality TV with top entertainment value! Very excellent 

Agreed 

Really enjoyed all robin's blogs but they have got better each 'series for me

But stop apologising for rambling for God's sake, we all love a rambler :dance

I've been away from the forum for a while due to a change of shift at work and a very eventful first four months of the year.  When checking out Robin's most recent adventures, it occurred to me how a similar event in my personal life had caused me more pain than I could ever have imagined.

My mum and dad came to us for Christmas day.  The wife went to their house to collect them as my dad had given up driving due to failing health some years ago.   He seemed to be struggling more than ever, but he enjoyed his Christmas dinner and was pleased that our son, his fiancee and our grandson were able to visit later in the afternoon.  I dropped them back home later that night and we went to visit them on New Years Eve to take mum shopping, as usual. 

Dad was not well and I had to call an ambulance.  The paramedics arrived, assessed him and took him to hospital.  For a couple of weeks, he seemed to be making some progress, but his condition started to deteriorate and he wouldn't eat or drink.  He was 87 years old on 31st January, but a couple of days after his birthday, his condition became much more grave.

We visited him on 11th February and were told he was on 'end of life' care and he passed away on Monday 13th.  

I thought that after being in hospital for over 6 weeks and seeing his condition worsen as it did that I would be ready for him to pass, but I wasn't.   My feelings were made worse in the knowledge that I was responsible for making the call to the emergency services that resulted in his being hospitalised.  Furthermore, when mum called me at work to say that she had been advised to get to the hospital on the day he died, I arrived 15 minutes too late and although he had lost consciousness,  I wasn't with him when he passed.

It is now eight weeks since his funeral on 3rd March.  Occasionally,  my thoughts wander and I have to control my emotions.  I know he is out of pain, but my regrets still cause me much pain.  

Perhaps because recent events have left my emotions more 'raw', Robin's tale and videos have been a more compulsive view than previous blogs.  I'm not sure that I could have dealt with the solitude as stoically as he seems to have, but there is little doubt that it has been tinged with his grief at times.  Having said that, perhaps being allowed some time to be alone would have allowed me more time to grieve.

I have my mum and dad to thank for my affection for the Norfolk Broads, as it was they who were were responsible for taking me to The Broads for my first Broadland adventure back in 1969, aged 13, an event that I still remember fondly.  I have little doubt that our planned holiday in September will make them even more vivid.

• Like 7

Mouldy, I am so, so sorry for your loss, your post made me cry. I'm sure when you visit the Broads in September, although it will be tinged with sadness you will also have those lovely memories of your Dad which hopefully will make you smile as well as grieve

I wish you and your family all the very best and hope you have a wonderful time in September

Grace :kiss

• Like 1

Mouldy I can only echo what Grace has already written. A heartfelt post that reminded me also of losing my mum five years ago now. Grief affects us all in different ways and just when you think you're fine something will sneak up on you and remind you all over again. For me that tends to be when I come home after a lovely holiday and remember how the first thing that I would always have done would have been to phone my mum and tell her all about it. Over time it does get easier.

• Like 1

Robin I am enjoying this series - I think the short snaps breaking up each day work well. Even though I've now been to the Broads a good number of times, it was interesting to hear you talk about how the current affects what the bow and the stern are doing. And then to think through how to get tied up and how to leave the moorings. So thank you for that. :clap

• 1 month later...

Thanks Robin, I've been tempted over the last few weeks to post a plea for the next instalment, but having an inkling of how much has been going on for you it's great that you got these out so quickly.

Have you an update on how Sheila's Dad is doing? We've been praying he's making progress here...

Helen

I enjoyed those Robin, thank you. I was able to pick out Russell Thomson's boat Brinks Suncharm 1 and it's handy how your paths overlapped. It's clear from his video he enjoyed his drink with you at Ranworth. He had the same complaint as you about the lack of a rear fender and I agree it's a bizarre choice not to have one. I liked the Ranworth Island footage of the boat from the bank. Thanks for your effort on that because I can appreciate the issues with leaving the camera ashore. 

Helen - Shiela's dad is doing as well as expected - he is out of hospital and home, however the issue is that he now need a lot of care and can do very little for himself.  This means that some of the family are now having to take time from work to be at home and take care of him, this has a large impact on what small amounts of money they have which also trickles down to us here having to provide more financial support.  However, I am not happy just sending money 'back home' when some things are just to be purchased so I prefer to purchase the items from a website based there and have them delivered.  It is a sad state of affairs but when things happen and someone gets something there it can be the case that the neighbor of a friend who is a second cousin wants something type situation.

The good news is there is some land opposite Shiela's sisters that has come on the market - it would be are enough to build a 4 or 5 bedroom two story home on it so this is something that may be on the cards of use buying and instead of building a property on it use it for making money, either through agriculture or Pigs and then this would help the family have a new revenue stream than just holding hand out. 

Complicated it certainly can be.

Thanks for the update Robin. It's a reminder of how fortunate we are here in the UK with the NHS and social care. Graham and are being supported so well. Now that my Mum has been classified formally as being in the 'end of life' stage we have carers coming in several times a day and nightime and district nurses coming in daily too. I'd been hoping that Mum could die at home rather than in hospital, and they are doing everything they can to support us with that aim. 

Hope Sheila's Dad continues to improve and that the family manage okay. It's great that you and Sheila are such a support for them despite the distance.

all the best

Helen

Glad to hear Shiela's dad is a least a little better, although life does not look easy for her family at all.

As Helen says it is a reminder of just how lucky we are in this Country with our NHS, something we can be proud of but must never take for granted.

Really enjoyed this set, what a superb boat (except for the meccano helm seat) BB have produced, You often have a knack, with some of your  more controversial ideas, of getting my gander up and have me muttering (or after a couple of gins, swearing) at you on the television screen. This series I just wanted to give you a big hug!

Fred

• Like 1

Fred, I love it when you can see Robin is about to go on one of his 'talks' about stuff. You can settle back and prepare yourself for the world to be put to rights. Long may he carry on.

I too am glad Sheila's dad is a little better. All the best to him and the family.

Loved your blog again, even if it was made at a difficult time.

Jay

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I've begun to produce the new 'Bronze Gem' Blog - far shorter than this, and different and perhaps not quite as 'on form' but this was more of a break with Shiela and less of a getting the camera out all the time trip. None the less I even managed to do a review of her (the boat that is) ;) and not bad for the age and money, and dare I say I think I preferred the more homely and cosy feel compared to the ultra modern and clean cut interior of Serenade.

Thanks for the compliments, been doing these Blogs a while now but when I am in the zone so to speak and you watch the videos as a series from the first to last I can see each boat and visit is different, even if I go back to the same places, the feel and footage changes. It is nice to still take the odd hire boat out too from the modern new stuff to the classic and share the experiences with others.

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to the Bronze Gem videos Robin. I remember a few years back stepping aboard one of the Bounty 37s at Stalham that happened to have the engine running and the noise was deafening. I guess it might have preceded the Nanni updates but I'll be very interested to see how you got on.