wanted generator

:wave Jill take a look at these, http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/default.asp, I bought the Kipor IG 2000 after seeing Bazs one and it's brilliant, looking on the web I found out it's a copy of Hondas that they tried to get stopped on copyright, apparently it comes from the same factory and production line that make the Honda ones, and at £359 it's half the price, I've had my 1750 watt circular saw running of it with no problems, I ordered mine from G/R at 1pm and got it the next day at 11am it also came with two blue plugs, 12v lead and a toolkit, I did try buying it from E/bay only £10 cheaper but had nothing but problems, found out the two selling them are the same people trading under two different names, I phoned with a query and when I did eventualy get an answer they couldn't answer it, So I found G/R and bought it from them,,

Regards Frank,,

hi mowjo

sounds good, thanks for that.

on ebay it says kipor ig 2000 low noise 54-59dB sound level

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IG-2000-Super-Sil ... 2ea6a7c990

(does not mean much to me, so im wondering how quiet that is ?)

ive looked up the honda and its 52 dB so i presume theres not much between them

on the green reaper site it says kipor ig 2000 61~73dB/7m

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=1741

but the difference between the details on ebay and green reaper is confusing.

jill cheers

Sound level measured in dB is "exponential" and not "linear", so 54-59db is quite a bit louder than 52db, and 61-73db is much more than twice as loud.

From http://guidedtour.windpower.org/en/tour ... /dbdef.htm :

"The dB-scale is a logarithmic, or relative scale. This means, that as you double the sound pressure (or the energy in the sound) the index increases by approximately 3. A sound level of 100 dB(A) thus contains twice the energy of a sound level of 97 dB(A). The reason for measuring sound this way is that our ears (and minds) perceive sound in terms of the logarithm of the sound pressure, rather than the sound pressure itself.

Most people will say, that if you increase the dB(A) by 10, you double the subjective loudness of the sound."

Hi Jill,

To give you some idea 53 db is about the same as your average washing machine, what that would sound like on a river bank though I have no idea. As Strowager says 73 db is a massive jump, when I was doing sound testing we used to take it that the sound detectable to the human ear doubled for every 8 db increase.

I would try and get the figures direct from the manufacturer.

Ian

hi Jill,

From your last post I getthe impresion that you are thinking of running this on the boat, if that is the case be very very carefull where you put it, fumes from the generator will fall to a low point so if you put it on the boat and the fumes can get in they will kill you.

This type of generator should be run on the quayside, if you want one that stays on the boat you are into a whole new ball game and a whole new cost as well.

Have a look at Dolphin Generators for some idea.

Ian

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, that`s a good point about being on a boat. I would imagine anybody thinking of installing a genny on a boat, would have to have a similar type of installation as gas bottles. A locker that`s got a drain and a vent for exhaust and inlet, plus copious amounts od sound insulation. When you think about it, it`s quite an elaborate and probably exspensive installation. Regards to all................... Neil. :wave:wave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Antares,.............£6k? :o ,...............How much is a 240v hook-up cable?..................... :grin::grin::grin: . Regards to all............................Neil.

Hi Antares,.............£6k? :o ,...............How much is a 240v hook-up cable?..................... :grin::grin::grin: . Regards to all............................Neil.

About 6k Neil, that is if you want one long enough to always have power. :o:lol::lol:

Oh well! thats sorted then, sell my new Gennie and buy a 42mile long extension cable,, :grin:

Jill! the manufacturer states that at zero load it's 61db and at full load 73db all of which means nothing to me, all I know is it's a lot quiter than my old 850 w gennie,, :?