My Day

LizG

I've just spent a very nice couple of hours in Wetherspoons (sorry Mr Nog) with my Mum and Dad.......Can someone please explain their policy?? Why is it when you buy one coffee you get free re-fills but when you buy wine and try to do the same they practically kick you out the door :default_biggrin: Honestly, talk about rude :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Gracie said:

Why is it when you buy one coffee you get free re-fills but when you buy wine and try to do the same they practically kick you out the door

So you only know the secret password for for coffee then darlin, best yer starts learnin then, did yer try refill please with warm smile? or givin the barman a........................................

Charlie xx xx :default_hiding:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gracie said:

I've just spent a very nice couple of hours in Wetherspoons (sorry Mr Nog) with my Mum and Dad.......Can someone please explain their policy?? Why is it when you buy one coffee you get free re-fills but when you buy wine and try to do the same they practically kick you out the door :default_biggrin: Honestly, talk about rude :default_norty:

Grace

Hi Grace,

To get free wine (or other drinks) you have to look carefully at the various offers.

The best one we had was when our Narrow Boat crew all had steaks, we ended up with 3 bottles of wine. On the Broads we have also had a free drink with certain meals, Tan's meal got me a free pint and the meal was less than a fiver.

As you know we northerns like to be careful:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gracie said:

Grace

Haven't got free refills on wine, but I have found you get free refills on beer. It's not exactly an offer though, you do have to be careful.

Basically wait until the staff are busy at the other end of the bar or disappear into the kitchen and voila free beerbeer.thumb.jpg.b8c8d284ac9692044894328aef26aceb.jpg

5 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

So you only know the secret password for for coffee then darlin, best yer starts learnin then, did yer try refill please with warm smile? or givin the barman a........................................

Charlie xx xx :default_hiding:

The only thing I gave the barman was a piece of my mind just before I got barred :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Haha 2

Today being sailing day, it was off down the sailing club. A surprising amount of snow drifts still around.
I put the buoys out, at least I only had to press a button to empty the boat of rain water not shovel out the snow.
The usual bacon butties followed and a mugacoffee.

The weather to start was misty and windless, but as we were having the aforesaid sustenance, a light breeze arrived.

Wind north Easterly, not a lot to not much more.
Tide, high tide just before the first race so not a lot, increasing all the time though.

Sunny to start then it clouded over.

Race 1, course 4p,2p,3p,2p, twice.
We started very well, close to the left hand bank, so did most of the rest of the fleet spread across the river. Everyone was busy hauling up spinnakers, we all changed position several times as winds varied, but ourselves and the boat near the other bank drew ahead as we were out of the tide.

Just before the first bend we had to cross the river as we didn't want to go in the fastest out going tide on the outside of the bend.
This allowed the far right boat and one other to get in front of us.

On rounding the corner those two kept to the right shadowing each other. So I cut across the river to the other bank, as the wind was slightly more from the right now, we tacked the spinnaker as we went over. We then slowly passed them but after passing we got a good wind and were 50 yards ahead by the time we rounded buoy 4.

We were then tacking down river, the tide pushing boats against the wind exaggerating it's effects. We stayed ahead until just before buoy 2 when one boat passed us.

Round buoy 2 up spinnakers and we went down the right hand bank this time, the lead boat made the mistake of sailing down the middle against the tide. So we soon over took and reached buoy 3 in the lead.

Tacking back down river they passed us again, our boat doesn't do well in light winds.

Rounding buoy 2 just behind them, we again, took the right hand bank and got ahead. Cutting across the river as before after the corner.

Rounding buoy 4 we again tacked up river but they again overtook us and then as we rounded buoy 2 the shortened course signal was sounded and we finished second.

There was a long break as we waited for the tailenders, and they shortened the course bringing buoy 4 closer .

Race 2, course 4p,2p, 3 times.
A very similar start to last time almost all boats starting in the same places, however we cut across the river to have the boats that were ahead near the start of the first race, behind us, so we reached the corner just in the lead. However they were blocking our wind. Almost immediately, We just rounded buoy 4, but going slowly, they rounded faster than us and soon overtook.

We basically followed them, tacking to buoy 2, we all then came into the back of the dinghy fleet. Although we caught the other two, lack of manouvering room meant we were unable to get past, before rounding buoy 4. So they sailed away from us, and we finished 3rd.

Race 3 there were no other competitors not even a dinghy, I think they all got fed up with the very light winds....

• Like 1

Today my better half and I drove from home early this morning to take part in a litter pick around Potter with some other bungalow residents.
Very pleasant it was too to meet a few neighbours and to make the place a little nicer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our village was up for doing the same thing a fortnight ago.  I had put my name down for it, but it was postponed coz of the wx to the following weekend, when I was onboard 'B.A'  so I missed it :default_sad:  As a pennance I'm now going to litter pick the road into the village one of these Saturdays on my todd.  That's if I can eventually get a Saturday off.  This year I'm not supposed to be working Saturdays but seem to have being doing so.  I need an eight day week and a 30 Hr day

I have promised myself that once I have refurbished 'B.A's tender and got her back down where she belongs, that I am going to spend a day litter picking both banks from Richo's to the Wayford junction

Griff

We drove up to Lowestoft this morning to take some things up to our caravan to start getting it ready to use over the coming months. We were a little concerned about the roads as we had quite a bit of snow in Essex yesterday. But once we got past Ipswich there wasn't even much lying snow around. The issue once we reached the site was flooding! 

High seas and winds meant that a lot of water had been thrown over the sea wall in the last 24 hours. There was a lot of water all around our pitch but the caravan itself was fine if a little chilly inside! Got the heating on for a while and have left that on a timer now. Did what we needed to do and then headed for home. 

Not much traffic around anywhere and now there are a few snow flurries here so I'm glad that we left when we did. Stepping outside the caravan you immediately felt the sea spray so we didn't even go over to the sea wall to take a look this time. Hopefully we will have something a bit more like spring when we go back up for Easter.

Oh what a day yesterday was, It was paddy's 18th. A table for twenty was booked at the Rovers Tie, at the Ardleigh Crown junction.  Well the Wench and I set off about 18.30, a trip that normally takes 15 - 20 minutes, at about 19.20 we turned around and headed back home, due to traffic and accidents. Finally getting home at about 20.00. Having phoned to tell him have a good time and I'll buy him a beer or three next time I see him.

Well I nodded off, then went to bed, my eyes being really tired from the driving in the blizard and I in fact sleep quite well for a change right through to 0.400 this morning. Only to wake to being told both Hiede and Kim had had accidents on theier drives home last night, at the same roundabout about 10 minutes apart, Hiede having written off a Volvo alloy wheel, then about 10 minutes later Kims car and Megan (her pride n joy) driven by her hubby was written off on the same roundabout. Kim has a black eye and a split lip, no other injuries I'm glad to report.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4