My Day

LizG

This mornings stroll around my estate with the dog, showed the Apple trees are now in flower but the pear trees are loosing theirs. The grass needs cutting again, and I need to fix the chainsaw on a stick to do some pruning. 

The coming weekend promises,

Filling a raised bed with Horse Exhaust, covered in soil and sand. The sand is to break up the very clay soil. I estimate about 1 ton to shovel......

Start rebuilding the front garden wall destroyed by a storm earlier in the year.

Measure up for plumbing changes so there is a garden tap at the mobile home and another two 50yards and 100 yards away for watering. I've already buried the blue pipe undergound. The problem is the mobile home is imperial piping and 99% of parts available for the job are metric... 

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

This mornings stroll around my estate with the dog, showed the Apple trees are now in flower but the pear trees are loosing theirs. The grass needs cutting again, and I need to fix the chainsaw on a stick to do some pruning. 

The coming weekend promises,

Filling a raised bed with Horse Exhaust, covered in soil and sand. The sand is to break up the very clay soil. I estimate about 1 ton to shovel......

Start rebuilding the front garden wall destroyed by a storm earlier in the year.

Measure up for plumbing changes so there is a garden tap at the mobile home and another two 50yards and 100 yards away for watering. I've already buried the blue pipe undergound. The problem is the mobile home is imperial piping and 99% of parts available for the job are metric... 

Hi Q,

The joys of gardening & plumbing know no bounds when it comes to problems.

A friend of mine ordered 6 tons of horse manure for his garden years ago when we were all younger, it was delivered and stank the road out, sadly after filling the first couple  of barrows his back went, leaving me and our combined children to move it all off of the road.

Are your plastic pipe fittings not BSP?

Regards

Alan

The old fittings probably are BSP, but in mobile home that was secondhand when installed about 1980, so many things have been altered over the years.. 

The black plastic water supply  piping comes out of the ground about 3/4 inch outside diameter. Goes to brass fitting to copper 1/2 inch OD, goes to brass stopcock (failed), goes to Brass drain valve (failed) , goes to 1/2 inch OD plastic piping and off to various taps, boiler etc.

The Blue pipe going down the garden is 22mm modern blue plastic pipe.

The garden tap now fitted to the wall, but awaiting connection has a 15mm OD copper pipe inlet.

Whilst some imperial fittings are available, and some imperial stopcocks, not what's in the Mobile home.

Also much of the connections are under the Mobile home next to plastic covered or polystyrene insulation. Soldering up connections while lying face up in a confined space is not an option.

So reducing the range available to be used, to compression connectors.

So the plan is, main house stopcock off,  cut the copper inlet pipe, then fit  an adaptor 1/2 inch to 15mm, then a new stopcock. Then I can turn the water supply to the house back on. After that,  various Ts, each output having a separate stopcock.

Then adaptors back to what ever size the various outlets require. Oh and a new drain valve for the mobile home needs fitting as well.

As for Horse exhaust, I collect mine for free bagged up in bin bags or old horse food bags, whenever I pass the yard in the Landrover, I pick up a few bags though less are available in the summer as other gardeners get enthusiastic.... It then gets piled up in the garden till I'm ready to use it.. The rubbarb is looking good.. The yacon we won't know until the autumn.

Rag and stick you say?? :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:let's see what all the fuss is about!! I've just returned from day 1 of the RYA level 1 start sailing course. Thoroughly enjoyable day pootling around Millwall Dock on an ancient Bosun. I can highly recommend the Docklands Sailing & Watersports Centre friendly staff and a good facilities. Day 2 tomorrow! 3 rivers race next! :default_cool:

• Like 1

Congratulations on the course, the bosun was the military sailing dinghy at at one time,  built like a tank and not fast. I've been  out in one few times.  l'd recommend something a little faster for the 3RR. Though saying  that I've completed it a Lysander, which has a similar handicap to a mirror dinghy.

One advantage of learning to sail is you'll understand what the lunatic Wafis are doing when you're out in a mobo.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Congratulations on the course, the bosun was the military sailing dinghy at at one time,  built like a tank and not fast. I've been  out in one few times.  l'd recommend something a little faster for the 3RR. Though saying  that I've completed it a Lysander, which has a similar handicap to a mirror dinghy.

One advantage of learning to sail is you'll understand what the lunatic Wafis are doing when you're out in a mobo.

Never sailed a Bosun, but GP14's and Enterprises are great little boats.

5 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Never sailed a Bosun, but GP14's and Enterprises are great little boats.

The designer of the Bosun Ian Proctor also designed the Wayfarer another excellent small sailing boat. 

I went on a sailing course at Stonehouse in Plymouth and we had to race Bosuns on the first day and the spinnaker was mandatory. After rounding the windward mark up they went but most were upside down inside out or the clue attached to the hailyard. Of course I was fine as my crew was the RN bosuns champions daughter. Our instructor was not impressed and threatened to send us home. 

• Haha 2

Phill and I arrived at Martham at 8.45 to find it already a hive of activity around RT, and do it continued all day. ‘Hive’ is an apt expression as there was a constant buzz from sanders and saws the whole time. 

We set up camp kitchen. Lulu and I  worked on bacon butties, and drinks, then elevensies of Cake and drinks, after that we did ham and cheese rolls and..... then cake and..... then rolls and :default_icon_e_biggrin: I think you get the picture.

Many thanks to Mike and Pat for providing the bacon, bread, ham, cheese, tea, coffee............:default_icon_bowdown:

It was great working with Lulu, and making new friends with her and Selsie.

I think there were 17 working today. Lots of skill and lots of elbow grease, not to mention a miasma of sawdust! Ali, JA’s niece gets my award for cheerfully sitting under that boat all day scraping filthy old tar off and never losing her smile. :default_icon_bowdown:

Lulu and I were ‘forced ‘ to make a swift trip to Latham’s ... as you do, and also went down to the riverside section of Martham’s operation to find a less ‘boatyard-y’ loo.  The air was definitely fresher down there!

Back at the Wet Shed we met up with old friends, Simon and Sonia,  Roger and Sheila and enjoyed a great cuppa and chat with Roger and Sheila aboard Tradition. 

As Lulu says, we ended the evening at the Swan at Stalham, very nice too.

• Like 5

There used to be a big fleet of enterprises at Horning  of which 6 belonged to the RAF sailing association, I used them a lot.

The military after the bosun's, went to any boat available commercially. They don't last as long.. I've sailed bosuns, wayfarers, lasers, albacores, enterprises, mirror dinghy, belonging to the RAF SA, in places at the outer Hebrides,  the Falklands. and many places between. The big one was owned by the military, HMSTY Racer, a Camper and Nicholson 55..

It rained this morning. When it stopped I drove to East Runton and walked to Cromer along the beach, passed the Lifeboat Museum and up the cliffs to the lighthouse.

I returned though the town where the smells from the flame grill of the Red Lion, followed by the Fish and Chips at No1 were close to unbearable.

The awful weather of Feb/March saw me not so active and a few pounds have gone on but we are in my favourite produce season so proud of my resolve and my lunch on my terrace when I got home.20180510_130114.thumb.jpg.fa976eacfc4240a16b494c9e302900e8.jpg

• Like 2

Day 2 of the RYA course done. Helmed a crewed Bosun round some buoys, scattered a kids birthday party of windsurfers and even managed a Norfolk Broads connection...the sail on mine today was made by Jeckells. Now I've got to find the time to keep it up!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Day 2 of the RYA course done. Helmed a crewed Bosun round some buoys, scattered a kids birthday party of windsurfers and even managed a Norfolk Broads connection...the sail on mine today was made by Jeckells. Now I've got to find the time to keep it up!

Just find the time. Believe me it will reward you for the rest of your life.

• Like 2

So, having sorted a few post DIY jobs we returned to Martham to pick up Jenny.

She is a sweet little no-frills saily and fine for Summer Sailing I think. BUT this isn’t a normal May, not this week it isn’t .

i admit that I had a few qualms a couple of weeks ago and checked to see it I could upgrade to a boat with heating, but they looked to be fully booked.

We moved into Jenny and waited for the gale to abate a bit. It didn’t and since we were due to meet Aristotle for something to eat at the Pleasure Boat, we set off into the teeth of the wind under the 1.5 hp Stuart Turner. 

At the end of Candle Dyke she met the full force of the weather and simply turned round of her own accord. 

It seemed wise to allow for that and we ended up back at Martham, moored up and drove to the pub.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Arrival at The Pleasure Boat was a bit surreal. I had agreed a ‘hat code’ with Aristotle in place of the traditional rolled up copy of The Times. I would wear my red hat withNBN on it , he would have a  grey hat on the table. 

Soooo I approached the total stranger with the grey hat on the table, who confirmed that yes his name was indeed Steve, but looked a bit nonplussed, as well he might have; because at that point the real Aristotle came in from the conservatory type bar, and all was made embarrassingly clear. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

We had a lovely evening thereafter with Kenmure’s owner, the real Steven, comparing notes on our very similar sailies.

That night I checked the Martham Website again... Lydia with stronger engine and ....and a HEATER  was available. So a swap was obviously our best plan, given that Jenny might also find very strong winds at Thurne Mouth a barrier to us making it to Salhouse for the Gathering.

Coming soon....more really windy wind!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The yard swapped us over to Lydia which was a sensible strategy. We now had an oven and a fridge as well as ....heating! 

A trip to Potter for supplies and a bacon butty and we were away. 

This was now firmly Plan B. Plan A had been sunshine sailing on Hickling and Horsey and under the bridge on Thursday. Wx said WIND and yesterday pub info had it that there had been a sinking on Hickling yesterday (nobody hurt ) .

So PlanB was under the Bridge at once and more sheltered sailing available as a result.

We had 4 inches to spare under Potter, which was fine, and decided to remast at Womack where we ate lunch and basked in the sunshine before motor-sailing to South Walsham.

Lydia is a lightweight boat with a ginormous mudweight so we did our favourite thing of spending the night bobbing around the mudweight in the Broad. The wind was increasing again, but she was rock solid.

Having conquered the challenge of ‘how to pull the double bunk out’ it was sleep-time to the sound of sploshing rather than poetically ‘lapping’ water.

Coming soon; waves at Ranworth!

• Like 5

My day consisted of writing a Modern Slavery policy statement,  Environmental Policy, Equality policy and updating the Data Protection policy.

Reviewing  the Control of substances hazardous to health documents, manual handling,  working at heights policy, Asbestos Awareness training,  waste transfer license and sundry other documents and policies.

A complete waste of time and energy when I should have been out surveying,  in an attempt to generate work to keep the workforce employed and enabling me to pay employers nation insurance,  pension contributions and act as a tax collector for HMRC.

Oh how I laugh when people say  how lucky I am to have my own company.

That feels better :default_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My day consisted of writing a Modern Slavery policy statement,  Environmental Policy, Equality policy and updating the Data Protection policy.

Reviewing  the Control of substances hazardous to health documents, manual handling,  working at heights policy, Asbestos Awareness training,  waste transfer license and sundry other documents and policies.

A complete waste of time and energy when I should have been out surveying,  in an attempt to generate work to keep the workforce employed and enabling me to pay employers nation insurance,  pension contributions and act as a tax collector for HMRC.

Oh how I laugh when people say  how lucky I am to have my own company.

That feels better :default_biggrin:

Yes the joys of being self employed:facepalm:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Well tomorrow is the day of the wedding (not that wedding) my friend for life is marrying tomorrow (she booked hers before they did) I am Maid of Honour, her Nan has recovered enough to be able to attend, I'm sure it's her Grandaughters wedding that helped her through, she is a determined little lady, bless her heart

Wish me luck, I'm absolutely terrified one of my heels is going to catch my dress and I'll shoot down that aisle like a ruddy rocket :default_biggrin: Well  that and the champagne may not help

I'm sure Meghan will look lovely tomorrow but not as beautiful as my friend and her Nan

Have a great weekend and enjoy the Spring Meet, a write up and photos will be very much appreciated, lord help us Lol:default_icon_wave:

Grace

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Wish me luck, I'm absolutely terrified one of my heels is going to catch my dress and I'll shoot down that aisle like a ruddy rocket :default_biggrin: Well  that and the champagne may not help

I've already told you my thoughts so I shall just say, you will do brilliant, look beautiful (as always :default_smiley-angelic002:), and have a great day with your friends.

10 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I'm sure Meghan will look lovely tomorrow but not as beautiful as my friend and her Nan

Who will all be made to look average by you :default_biggrin:

Have a great day babe

• 2 weeks later...