My Day

LizG

my day today will be once again rebuilding a laptop, I now have the windows 10 media for it, I just hope to be able to recover the serial number off the old hard drive or it will cost me for a new licence.  the problem was that while it ran perfectly it wouldnt run the software for my 3d printer. then once windows has loaded, I will need to add my software again.

If it was a digital license then Windows 10 will automatically reactivate once it is re-installed providing it is the same version as was originally installed. During the reinstallation, if you asked to enter the product key, you can skip this step. Windows 10 will then automatically activate online after the installation is complete.

If you got Windows 10 as part of their free first year upgrade from qualifying OS's then you will have a digital license. Lots of OEM PCs also now come with a digital license.

the issue was that the hard drive trashed itself, so its a new install on a new hard drive, not activated it, but it appears to be working, I will probably get a reminder, but it gives me time to deep scan the original hard drive partition and try and extract the license information from it.

I did have problems getting it to clone the screen over to the tv on HDMI, but in the end I managed to update the driver from the generic ms one and it worked straight off.

anyway up and running, important software put on everything else can be done at my leisure.

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My day not so much mine but Marinas.Its her birthday  today.We did shopping this afternoon. This morning we went to the garden centre near Sevenoaks.A Spitfire was flying overhead. Next Friday up to the boat for the weekend. 

We always enjoy a visit to a garden centre, whether we need anything or not. Happy Birthday to Marina ... hope you have a good week and get that trip in next weekend.

• Like 1

Well you could have knocked me sideways, apparently even though it was a clean install, windows has activated itself, reading online it says it can remember the motherboard, and activate the licence based on that being the same - durned clever these machines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, grendel said:

Well you could have knocked me sideways, apparently even though it was a clean install, windows has activated itself, reading online it says it can remember the motherboard, and activate the licence based on that being the same - durned clever these machines.

That's sort of what I was expecting if it was a digital license. With the introduction of Windows 10 you get the ongoing free upgrades as there will be no more major releases of Windows, as in Windows 11 or 12 etc. It will only be Windows 10 with ongoing feature and maintenance upgrades.

Windows 10 is licensed to the PC for the life of the PC. To stop a "Triggers new broom" scenario I think it is linked to the CPU serial number. Therefore if it has been legally installed or re-installed on the same PC it will automatically re-activate, but you could not transfer that license to another new PC. At least you only need to buy the OS once when you buy the PC.

You can actually download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website which will allow you to create Windows 10 media, all flavours on DVD or bootable USB. You can replace a hard disk and then use the media creation tool to create the correct set of media for the OS that was originally licensed and then once it is installed and rebooted it will automatically re-activate as yours did.

My new Dell laptop doesn't even have the Windows sticker or license code anywhere on the machine, as it is digitally licensed.

• Thanks 1

Dark cloud seems to have been driven off by the Sun.  Clay shooting on Friday went well.  Van is now running with new turbo / pipe fitted but not back with me till Monday as there is still some residue oil left in the aft part of the exhaust system that they want to clean out, then my wallet will no doubt get a clean out too.      Tiger - I am informed that by Monday I should have a list of parts / labour / time estimate to rectify - Which the guy that dropped it will be paying for of course.  Jeep now with new owner, just gotta transfer reg number over to van.  Me and MrsG went looking at a Discovery 4 HSE and  Jeep Grand Cherokee 'Summit'  yesterday.  She prefers the Jeep to the Discovery and seeing as she will be driving it more than I, it looks likely we will be purchasing a suitable example in the coming months.  Right what's happening today - Tiling  en-suite and bathroom floors, watching England beat Panama.

Griff

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Dark cloud seems to have been driven off by the Sun.  Clay shooting on Friday went well.  Van is now running with new turbo / pipe fitted but not back with me till Monday as there is still some residue oil left in the aft part of the exhaust system that they want to clean out, then my wallet will no doubt get a clean out too.      Tiger - I am informed that by Monday I should have a list of parts / labour / time estimate to rectify - Which the guy that dropped it will be paying for of course.  Jeep now with new owner, just gotta transfer reg number over to van.  Me and MrsG went looking at a Discovery 4 HSE and  Jeep Grand Cherokee 'Summit'  yesterday.  She prefers the Jeep to the Discovery and seeing as she will be driving it more than I, it looks likely we will be purchasing a suitable example in the coming months.  Right what's happening today - Tiling  en-suite and bathroom floors, watching England beat Panama.

Griff

Where do you shoot Griff, is it in Norfolk? Been up here a year and haven't picked my gun up once. Have almost forgotten which end to hold at my shoulder ?.

I shoot regularly clays at a neighbouring village 'Wroot'    We organise ourselves for special days out at various shooting venues throughout the year.  Friday was at Grimethorpe estate near to Bourne an 'Omex' clay shoot.  We are planning to visit the Mid Norfolk shooting ground at Taverham off the A1270 sometime this year.  Game shooting October to Feb locally near home

Griff

Oh yes.  Got the 'GriffTile' van back today.  New Turbo / seals. New oil pipes.  Inlet / exhaust manifold require numerous replacement studs / nuts.  Oil cooler drained and chemically cleaned, ditto for exhaust. Had some welding done to a jacking point that was starting to look suspect while they were at it too.  Driving - the Turbo is emitting that characteristic whistling sound when spooling up, not heard that in an age.  The motor is now pulling like a train once again.  Back to work now to plug the financial gap this saga created.  No word on the Tiger though, I will ring them tomorrow and check where they are up to with the estimate.

Griff

• Like 3

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:47, BroadAmbition said:

I shoot regularly clays at a neighbouring village 'Wroot'   

Griff

Have you informed the police you are taking potshots at the clays family?

• Haha 1

Now for something different: we (my gliding club) are running a "project week" for 6 girls & 5 boys from a nearby grammar school.
Objective: to learn the initial steps in the art of flying a sailplane.  I'm one of the organisers.

Some theory & lots of practical experience.  For example we started today with a short talk by one of our members who is also a captain (& instructor/examiner) on A320s.

So far we have been able to fly all week - today was fantastic visibility & quite good thermals.
This afternoon the parents & elder brother of one of the participants came by.  Would they like a flight?  Sure they would.

Muggins here got to fly them - first the mother, then the brother & finally papa.  The family had a sailing boat on the river Elba so they understood a fair amount of what was going on (there are many parallels between sailing on water & sailing through the air).
Anyhow - I managed to connect with thermals for all three - battling with our DG-1000 2-seat sailplane up to 3000' (the maximum allowed due to our close location to Hamburg airport).

• Like 4

well my day so far, a  bit of a back story, the car has been losing water - not a lot, half a litre in a fortnight, then the low water light comes up, top up the expansion tank with half litre and its full again. anyway friday on the way home the light flashes up, I am 10 miles from home, so do I stop, wait until the engine is cool enough to open the expansion tank and top up, or keep an eye on the gauge and keep going - I did the latter. got home, no problem - ordered a set of radiator hoses.

yesterday I topped up a litre, went shopping and did some running around. this morning, checked the water level its dropped a little - topped up went to the bootfair. on the way home the low water light appears, so arrived home popped the bonnet and there it is, a nice little spray of water coming from a heater hose. so a quick trip to halfords this morning to get a pack of silicon repair tape, and lo they have lengths of heater hose  in stock, great that will fix me up until the new one arrives, ah but will it, my heater hose has a special fitting at one end, its crimped on, so my idea is to cut and join the hose to the old end, ah i hear you cry, how will you join it? a quick trip to b&q and a look around the plumbing department locates a 15mm copper pipe straight join, its not the most substantial thing, then its down to garden hoses, a perfect match, a brass joining piece, this fits the hose perfectly and is good and solid, it might restrict the heater supply slightly, but hey, I dont need the heating this weather.

Just waiting now for the engine to cool down enough to do the work.

IMG_9947.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1