My Day

LizG

On friday, Whilst sorting out her clothes for our holiday er on board found £40 in old ten pound notes, changed them in the bank Saturday morning, spent Saturday afternoon! It's obviously the ". Money finding/spending seaon" . I wonder how many forumites are speculating now where there could be treasure in their house? 

Going back a number of years my wife and I had an early spring holiday

1 hour ago, johnb said:

On friday, Whilst sorting out her clothes for our holiday er on board found £40 in old ten pound notes, changed them in the bank Saturday morning, spent Saturday afternoon! It's obviously the ". Money finding/spending seaon" . I wonder how many forumites are speculating now where there could be treasure in their house? 

In Lanzarote. We decided to go back in October so I never changed back any money.

Unfortunately business got in the way and we did not go back. Years later when we were moving from Bucks to Norfolk I found a wallet with £250 in worthless pesetas.

What you have never missed etc.

• Sad 1

My day yesterday: 6 hours 48 minutes in the cramped cockpit of a glider (I'm too tall for this sport)
flying a 511 km pre-declared task around Hamburg airspace.  The last leg was into a head wind
finding me South of the river Elbe short of 200m altitude to get home with a bunch of
windmills threatening to put nasty cuts under my fuselage.  After several tries under dying
clouds (at time accompanied by a stork) I found a thermal to provide the necessary
height gain as shown to be needed by the onboard Nav system plus a bit to spare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Saturday left home 12:00 ish, drove to Yorkshire, Knaresbrough to be exact, got there at about 16:30 which in a 34 year old landrover is good going.. very hot trip though,

Imediately given I nice cold pint by my brother, and we sat on his verandah overlooking the river.., 18:30 wandered along waterside under the railway viaduct up to the venue for my Brothers 50th birthday party. They had  hired a hall, which luckily has a enclosed court yard out the back. The court yard was all decorated up, a band (in which his wife sings occasionally) and disco on. Vast amounts of food available,  large amount of their friends plus their daughters friends. A very good night.

Got back around 12:30, to bed in the back of the landrover, (they had so many visitors their daughter was in a tent in the garden). 

04:30 sunday morning got up, setup the woman in the black box with instructions for home, and set off in the nice cool air, by 08:00 all windows and vents open in the landrover.

One idiot Porche driver coming down Leadenham bypass the wrong side of the double white lines...

Got home around 09:00, went to bed for a couple of hours...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The mighty Tiger is now back in its lair looking as good as ever.  Just had to do a short test ride yesterday as one does.  Visited a few mates, did about 100 odd Cheshire cat miles.. The total invoice came at £1200.  An expensive slip up by the detailing outfit

Griff

37 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The mighty Tiger is now back in its lair looking as good as ever.  Just had to do a short test ride yesterday as one does.  Visited a few mates, did about 100 odd Cheshire cat miles.. The total invoice came at £1200.  An expensive slip up by the detailing outfit

Griff

Did you take it up to "The Cat and Fiddle" ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a weekend with my sister this weekend and I've had a walk down the Shropshire Union Canal. 

Canal boating isn't my thing personally but a nice walk down the water side regardless with loads of sloe berries (I may go back for a barrel load and make some sloe gin :default_norty:) and some lovely trees :default_smiley-angelic002: and scenery along the way.20180818_122040.thumb.jpg.e7769a6b75938861b03683aca9980c46.jpg20180818_123107.thumb.jpg.c0d6062daffd7559b1635fed7ec7d4f2.jpg20180818_123607.thumb.jpg.350975033d517967c7e5823c8375fa9b.jpg20180818_125211.thumb.jpg.7efd6e45e5dced7da3ad2e4ecd9660ff.jpg20180818_130621.thumb.jpg.d0ae9d461af243d14355954d3cf34c17.jpg

We just spent the day on and around Windermere. The weather changed from iffy to perfect. 

Sailies anc stinkies out in force.

We are staying on the lake shore up at Ambleside, not cheap but really lovely to look out of the window at the lake. 

Just going out for fish n chips as you do.

EA82BE39-34BD-4060-BCBC-A93658979E77.jpeg

91ED4E12-9012-40A4-A6F8-AECCB6E1C4ED.jpeg

E59B40F4-A36E-44C7-9ABB-B9F8AE4EA520.jpeg

• Like 4

Ah... that depends on budget I would say. The top end of Windermere has some lovely hotels with lake view and close to Ambleside which is lovely, BUT they cost. 

If you are a member of the YHA the Youth Hostel here has the same lovely views. 

Go further from the beehive of Bowness/Windermere/Ambleside and you will get better deals.

The Waterhead at Conison is Ok. Lovely views, a bit dated decor. Sweet garden, from which we were able to launch the dinghy, leading to the lake and a short walk to the Conison Water Centre, boat hire, steamer stop great cafe. On the other side of the Water Centre is a nice campsite run by the council with lake beach.

The National Trust is strong up here and they also have camping as well as , most probably,  holiday lets at their properties. 

We hired an old mill north of Kendal a few years back which was cheaper as just outside the NP boundary, in the next hamlet to the one Postman Pat is based in(!) It was wonderful and slept 6 I will pm you the info when I get home if you are interested.

For top of the range the Lakeside at the south end of Windermere is first class, but we can’t afford to go there these days! 

Spring/Autumn is best the place really is too busy in summer when all is said and done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the info Polly. We've done a lot of self catering since we started boating on the Broads every year. Haven't stayed in a hotel for quite a long time but I do like my creature comforts when I'm away. Have never been camping in my life ... ! :)

3 hours ago, Polly said:

Ah... that depends on budget I would say. The top end of Windermere has some lovely hotels with lake view and close to Ambleside which is lovely, BUT they cost. 

If you are a member of the YHA the Youth Hostel here has the same lovely views. 

Go further from the beehive of Bowness/Windermere/Ambleside and you will get better deals.

The Waterhead at Conison is Ok. Lovely views, a bit dated decor. Sweet garden, from which we were able to launch the dinghy, leading to the lake and a short walk to the Conison Water Centre, boat hire, steamer stop great cafe. On the other side of the Water Centre is a nice campsite run by the council with lake beach.

The National Trust is strong up here and they also have camping as well as , most probably,  holiday lets at their properties. 

We hired an old mill north of Kendal a few years back which was cheaper as just outside the NP boundary, in the next hamlet to the one Postman Pat is based in(!) It was wonderful and slept 6 I will pm you the info when I get home if you are interested.

For top of the range the Lakeside at the south end of Windermere is first class, but we can’t afford to go there these days! 

Spring/Autumn is best the place really is too busy in summer when all is said and done.

I think the Lakeside is perfect, stunning location and views- I got married there :default_biggrin:

• Like 2