• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

What made my day yesterday was seeing a Spitfire banking and turning in the Kent skies.

• Like 2

Sorted.  I was later leaving home than expected at around 1430.  Had to stop on the A17 for a call of nature / coffee and a snack then arrived at J.W's place at 1730.  My TomTom Rider I discovered is well out of date and needs updating, never had any of the NDR on it, nor many speed cameras showing, the stretch between Sutton Bridge and Kings Lynn for example and how long have those been installed now?

The repair on J.W's  Discovery also took longer than expected.  I had to drop an item off onboard Trixie at Sutton Staithe, visit 'B.A' and collect some of our ' No name timber' to bring home as I need to cut around 80 odd plugs ready for her new cant rails.  Re-fuel the Tiger.  By the time I set off for home it was 1930, I made Kings Lynn in an hour but then had to stop for nature, visor clean and coffee in that order.  Departed at 2100 with 99 miles in front of me. That gave me an eta at the Harvey Arms, Finningley of about 2230 I reckoned.  What I did not reckon on was the A17 being closed just near to Holbeach and a diversion taking me via Spalding adding miles n miles onto the journey before I was back on the A17 once more, then on finally joining the A1 is was raining and lots of spray coming up off from the road.  I had some rain x with me but I had not applied it to my visor so was riding in reduced visibility which was far from ideal.  I made the Harvey at 2250 - just in time to say heyup to one and all for 20 odd minutes or so, then a short ride home.

So, JW has his Discovery sorted and back on the road, he is well chuffed, I have some no name timber at home I needed for the wood plugs, Trixie has received an item that she needed, the Mighty Tiger has had a decent run out.  I've gained a few more grey hairs from the journey home.  All round result then

Griff

• Like 6

when estimating the time to repair something I always guess a time and times by 3, that give you time to get there, have the wrong tools, find the right tools, visit B&Q to get a spare part you didnt know you needed, or that one special drill size you dont have on you (but you have dozens of at home) and finish the work

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, grendel said:

when estimating the time to repair something I always guess a time and times by 3, that give you time to get there, have the wrong tools, find the right tools, visit B&Q to get a spare part you didnt know you needed, or that one special drill size you dont have on you (but you have dozens of at home) and finish the work

How true Peter, it is always the case.

Regards

Alan

then you double it when the other half asks for an estimate of how long it will take.

ie - I have to shut off the water to do that repair

How long is that going to take

6 hours, though if I can do it quicker I will

then 4 hours later when you finish, you are in their good books for finishing early.

• Like 3

Well, I spent the weekend mostly lying underneath my 16ft sailing boat sanding, the area where the rudder box was has been rebuilt, and has been glassed, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, and just needs a little more sanding before painting. My arms gave out..,.

OH why don't I turn it over.... it weighs about 245kg...

My boat is just a little 16 footer, having admired the river cruiser classes on water and in the photos on another thread, My arms and wallet could not afford a river cruiser..

For the rest of my free time this year, work on the boat will be on inside. The next project will be rebuilding the helming position and modifying the tabernacle for the new mast (Well it's probably 30 years old, but new to me).

I now have old sails, to use during development, and found a boom that fits that was hiding in the shed.. The only problem being the boom is rigged for an aft traveller and mainsheet. I need to get my end of the mainsheet forward to in front of me, sat in the middle of the boat, facing forward and I'm not drilling holes in a near 50 year old aluminium boom (ex Lark Dinghy 158).

• Like 1

We took out a short while this afternoon to go for a walk at Winterton on Sea. Lovely! It was wild wind but the sun was warm.

In terms of special interest, there was a huge baulk of timber emerging from the dunes, and a seal swimming near the shore.

C9758834-5681-4888-B846-2B817A0383DF.jpeg

09271A16-982C-431B-9809-534D7EF7BEC1.jpeg

3F2C712E-EE88-47EE-A43F-EFD34A6F6AB4.jpeg

242BF984-E3B5-43A3-8F93-1C8E6B5420B7.jpeg

• Like 4

Sounds wonderful. We've done a number of places on the Norfolk coast but not yet made it to Winterton.

We also saw a seal close to shore at Lowestoft a couple of weeks ago.

I remember a few years back,we moored at Horsey and walked to the beach. It was a lovely warm sunny day,no one around.We sat on the beach and watched the seals,wonderful. Two or three years ago,staying in corton, we went back to Horsey this time in late February. Still special .

• Like 2

I love to have a walk to Horsey Gap the sales keep me amused for ages. 20170723_120500.jpg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I love to have a walk to Horsey Gap the sales keep me amused for ages. 20170723_120500.thumb.jpg.acb51569676b62ed5d3be69eb4a0bf5c.jpg

Spell checker strikes again. Her indoors likes sales, I like the seals.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

My daughter spent her day meeting and learning about Billy the Tawny Owl. Billy, a fellow stroke survivor, is coming to stay while friends of ours are out the country for an extended period. 

Billy is the one on the left. ....20180911_182730.thumb.jpg.64d385e3290483074b91e19bb751ef96.jpg20180911_182721.thumb.jpg.cb77e7e99e1a8664459c69d5684b3390.jpg

• Like 3

sitting on that stick at first glance it looked like a giant spider, with little miss muffet sitting on her tuffet beside it. :default_biggrin:

I went to have a look at Horsey Staithe but could see no change so walked across to the Beach at Horsey Gap. Said hello to the Seals and then drove to Martham Staithe to eat my sand

wich.

20181011_122734.thumb.jpg.b85f94c8e0e2896e2da45294cbefdff5.jpg20181011_122516.thumb.jpg.d38b626afb1f75b7417b795ab3484142.jpg20181011_132046.thumb.jpg.1913f52154864e01cc2b764c323ae7a2.jpg

• Like 1

well not really my day, but it made My day. The BBC has allowed Horning sailing club to use a drone video of the club and surroundings. I think it was taken on a Saturday afternoon / evening, August /September.. it's on our front page

https://horning-sailing.club/video/horning-sailing-club.mov

or

https://horning-sailing.club/index.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

well not really my day, but it made My day. The BBC has allowed Horning sailing club to use a drone video of the club and surroundings. I think it was taken on a Saturday afternoon / evening, August /September.. it's on our front page

Nice piece of video.  Not quite top end HD but quite clear.

We had a flying trip to Norfolk. Catching up with Doug and Hele on Nipper was very pleasant, and as we sat over a cuppa, talk moved to Brilliant. I remarked that I needed to get a replacement boom as ours seemed to have fared badly over the summer. I said I'd got a quote from Peter Charlton and had asked for one from Whelptons.  I had mentioned the boom on the phone a few weeks ago...

"Um..."  said Doug, "that boom on your deck, that's not your boom."

??

It turned out that it was Doug's old boom from his half-decker. It wouldn't fit in his garage so he'd popped it on Brilliant's deck.

££ saved and a good laugh over the misunderstanding.

We headed back to the hotel for a very nice meal and a good night's rest at The Wayford Bridge Hotel. 

This morning  after a satisfying breakfast we headed to Roys for Christmas Shopping, as you do. Roys Toys is awesome by the way, and I really like the way they avoid the stereotyping that Toys R Us used to slip into. Over at the main shop and  there were some multifunction slow cookers on sale, we decided to  go with that as an impulse buy it was a good proposition and splashed out £50.  More later on that. 

Over to visit Brilliant where, yes indeed our boom and gaff are in fine condition and stashed on the cabin top. I cancelled our request for a replacement quote, which Annie said had puzzled them at the time as Brilliant's spars were fine. Doh!

The roping on Brilliant's, very expensive, shelter broke last weekend, uv has defeated it after only a year, so I will be on the phone to the suppliers tomorrow. 

We dropped into lovely Fairhaven at lunchtime before heading home;, it really was a beautiful Autumn  day!

The rain set in on the way home as it had cleared away on the way in the day before, maybe we had a special weather window hovering over Norfolk?

At home and unpacking the impulse buy, um,  no lid, this meant a long conversation with Roy's to the effect that bringing it back is not ideal as we live 2 1/2 hours away.  They are posting me one, I think. Roys are usually great so all should be fine

• Like 5