My Day

LizG

15 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

They are having a deep thinking session and they hold their chin......

..... I had to really concentrate and avoid sounding as though I was patronising......

No, I explained that our lump of Oak needs to be conditioned for at least a week indoors and become acclimatised to the  temperature / humidity of our house.   Then it has to be cut to length, then any shakes have to be glued under compression and again left for another week.  Then she has to provide me with a picture of the finish she wants, that is moderately worked / scalloped / rounded edges etc.  Then I have to take lump round to the Wizards to run it over his bench planer to square it up.  Then commence with the scalloping / edges using tools both power and hand as I see fit.  Then it is 80g paper on the DA sander followed by 240g.  Seeing as it is indoors no need for 5 star cuprinol.   Then get set to with the Danish oil to give it a finish to match our current furniture.  Then I have to purchase a hidden mounting system and 'Let' it into the timber where it will meet the wall to ensure a snug fit with no gap.  After all that has been done, then she can at last put her dust collectors in it (O r m a n e n t s) and I may be allowed out of the dog house and back indoors......

I bet her hand didn't move from her chin and she walked away mumbling "don't patronise me, just get on Ebay and buy one":default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Haha 1

The lump of Oak has been conditioning for over a week now in our lounge.

So, today on completion of my fortnightly infuriatingly annoying pastime this forenoon (Clay shooting) I took said rough sawn lump of Oak round to the Wizards.  Ran it through his planer a few times, squared ends and cut to length.  It is now back on the deck in our lounge.  No more can I proceed until MrsG has provided me with a picture of what she wants it to look like with regards to medium working.  She did however comment that it looked much better now it has been planed off.  Good News - I'm outa the dog house once more

Griff

BA NBN 504.JPG

BA NBN 505.JPG

BA NBN 506.JPG

BA NBN 507.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Such beautiful day in Norfolk I decided to travel south and walk the large dune system at Winterton. Stopping at Horsey for a few minutes on the way. Feb 14 and I walked in the dunes in a shirt and jumper! No doubt we will pay for this springlike week.

20190214_115905.jpg

20190214_121619.jpg

20190214_121724.jpg

20190214_121831.jpg

20190214_121857.jpg

20190214_121909.jpg

• Like 7

We spent the day taking the canopy off to take  away for repairs, fitting electrical sockets into the front cabin, led lights throughout, got the water system working. Had a quick snack at lunchtime in the Ferry Inn. Will go back later for a proper meal. Productive day doing boaty jobs. (Well not me , but Selsie while i pottered around cleaning and watching tv) Marina coming alive with others cleaning boats and maintenance. Quite a few boats out and about on the river. New season is on its way :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

my day so far, popped to mother in laws to fix a corner suare that had split, couldnt get under it so had to fix with a sheet of 1/2" ply over the top, when we arrived mother in law had tripped up the stairs (not the one I was fixing) and cut her head open, took her to A&E where my daughter stayed with her while I went back and finished fixing the step. after I finished I packed up and headed back to the hospital to see how they were getting on - I was there less than 5 minutes before they came out - still within the 20 minutes free parking - yay, back to MIL's changed the lightbulb at the top of the stairs (the one she cant reach. then came home, out again tonight for an astronomy meeting. other than that - nothing done.

• Like 1

My mother-in-law will be 100 this summer and she's already planning her own party!! She's booked the church hall, decided who she's inviting, and we're now helping her look at the menu options she's got from the caterers she has chosen!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

My mother-in-law will be 100 this summer and she's already planning her own party!! She's booked the church hall, decided who she's inviting, and we're now helping her look at the menu options she's got from the caterers she has chosen!!

Lovely SR.

100 is the new 40:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Just the four rounds of Clay shooting this forenoon.  Sk e e t, DTL, Sporting and Double Rise.  Nice mild day for it too.

Soon departing for the Keepmoat Stadium, the home of Donny Rovers who are playing Crystal Palace from the Premier league in an FA cup match, 5th round - First time Donny have made it this far since 1959.  They have never made the quarter finals ever.  Today could be the day - We will see

Griff

• Like 1

Been sailing in ever decreasing circles today,  it was the Martin Dugdale  trophy, Tino was taken Ill while sailing some years ago and shortly after died..  His family  were there as usual for the event. 

The Race which was very well attended,  was won by a young lady on a laser,  we came err ....somewhere.

We did have trouble with a large day boat,  which decided to go from the right hand bank to the  left aiming for horning staithe,  crossing in front of us as we tacked in that direction. Instead of going in nose first it suddenly went parallel to the bank in then tried to reverse in,  of course that won't happen,  so their nose drifted out and hit us, snagging on our side stays. 

• Sad 1

I have spent a second weekend decorating the hall stairs and landing.

20 litres of emulsion for the walls,  10 litres for the ceilings,   5 litres of undercoat and 10 litres of gloss.

15 doors and acres of walls.

I didn't think it needed doing but Matron had other ideas.

I hate decorating,  everything hurts and it is a waste of boating time. 

I have now booked a decorator to come in and finish it. 

:default_stinky:

• Like 1

Brilliant, just brilliant. Arrived at clients. It’s all ready to go, that is a 20m2 porcelain floor tiling job. They have removed everything including laminate floor coverings. Only slight snag. The finishing screed is debonding from the concrete sub floor. This property is just two years old. (RAF camp at Hayfield)

I reckon at least 4 hours to remove / clean / dispose.  Plus increased invoice for clients. First thing Monday morning and I’m behind on weekly diary already

Griff

image.jpg

• Sad 1