My Day

LizG

Sorry to be hearing about this griff .seems to be a growing trend a good pal of mine who is a heating engineer has been hit three times he even changed his van to a VW that has a full central looking system and locks every time he leaves it even if it's only for a few seconds another feature he had fitted was 360 cctv fitted one camera in the front window one above rear then one fitted inside each side mirror arm plus infra red inside the back of the van .also the cameras record 24 / 7 on to an hard drive the system also has a 7inch hd monitor in cab .....it maybe worthwhile ask Robin to do what he does best and find a system ...............I know you shouldn't have too but in these times you do - you may even get cheaper insurance 

finny

• Thanks 1

Makita seem to be very popular kit to steal, it's very annoying having your tools stolen and grates in your head every time you think about it, unfortunately that is probably the last you will ever see of it.
Sadly there are also people out there who are happy to buy tools even though they know they are stolen, which makes them no better that the thieving scum that took them in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The actual time shown is 1 x Hr out, it is 1211.  The ****** can be seen in my van.  This photo was taken using a phone from a tv screen. tomorrow I will have the actual cctv on a memory stick and will be able to view it better and hopefully get the registration number

Griff

image.thumb.png.8aa37c4c13f4533b14cb38d68bbd0b2e.png

17 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The actual time shown is 1 x Hr out, it is 1211.  The ****** can be seen in my van.  This photo was taken using a phone from a tv screen. tomorrow I will have the actual cctv on a memory stick and will be able to view it better and hopefully get the registration number

Griff

I guess it shows his backside which is what you probably want to give a good kicking

SWMBO's brother has had his van broken into several times.. it's covered in asbestos hazard warning signs, and they have taken tools from the dirty sealed side of the van, that he won't go near without being fully suited up..

23 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The power of social media is doing it's thing and is on-going.   If the police don't get to the scumbag then I will

Griff,

If you have or intend on posting the CCTV pictures of the silly person on Facebook, if you make it viewable publicly I will share it on my account too for you as I am pretty close to where you are.

You never know, someone around here may know them.

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I'm a bit stuck until I get the actual cctv footage onto a memory stick, and then into my possession which will hopefully happen today.  Then I can play about with it, zoom in take stills etc.  I'll keep thee informed

Griff

Ok mate :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Posted Today, 16:33

Afternoon Awl,

An odd day, 
Oddity 1, I ventured to the sailing club, a few minutes late, to reach the A149, to find at the end of the long straight, A front loader shoving the remains of a fallen tree off of the road. 

Oddity 2, In the far distance I could see stationary blue flashing lights. This stretch of the A149 is part of the former M&GN line to Yarmouth beach station.
I turned off before reaching the blue lights.

After getting past the fallen tree, a police car went the other way that's oddity 3, they're like hens teeth round here..

Oddity 4, I drove round a heron standing in the middle of the sailing club car park,

Oddity 5, I was first at the club but the security gate was open.

Wind nothing to not a lot, oddity 6 a south Easterly very rare here. Tide maximum coming in so probably 2, 2 mph against us.
Due to that we set off to 1P, 2P, 4P.

Race 1,
We got a perfect start, first on the line where we wanted to be, so the wind promptly shifted giving the advantage to the next two boats. After a couple of tacks we had 5 boats tacking down river struggling against the tide, all getting inneach others way, suddenly the 5th place boat got a bit of wind and shot through to second place.

We reached buoy 1 in 5th rounding that we hauled up the spinnaker and drifted back toward the club, overtaking one boat and nearing the 3rd place boat.

Rounding bouy 2 in 4th, we were just able keep the spinnaker up very close hauled just occasionally the spinnaker collapsing. We drifted slowly below the next boat into third. Mean while the rescue boat went past and brought buoy 4 back to just round the bend as it had taken half an hour so far. 
Down spinnaker, pull out the Genoa round bouy 4 and start tacking toward the bend. Suddenly the 4th place boat shot past us as they got a rare puff of wind.
Round the bend and it was one long tack on the left hand bank. The second place boat stayed on the left hand bank too long, we cut the corner and gained a lot.

We tacked slowly up to buoy 1 then up spinnaker, and chased the third place down we got an overlap but unfortunately on the outside going round buoy 2 so although we had an overlap they got third.

Oddity 7 we stopped, grabbed a tea and coffee and back in the boat with them.

Sadly one of our club members has a terminal illness, and had expressed a wish to go for a final sail with the club and his family. So all the yeoman's racing plus others that came out especially, sailed off to Black Horse Broad. Some had come from other sailing clubs...

Oddity 8 the owners of Black Horse Broad had given special permission to open the broad during the winter for this one event. 

We got towed into the broad and then set sail for the corner as we approached we could see Kevin being assisted by his wife and another adult to walk to the moorings of a house there. A club member had his yeoman ready there, and helped Kevin on board. Kevin set sail on the helm with his wife and 2 young teenage daughters.
We then spent 2 hours cruising around the broad in company until Kevin returned back to the moorings.
Then we headed back to the club, to pack up and have lunch.

Oddity 9 on the way home an unmarked white Audi estate went hammering back down the A149,.... With blue lights flashing in the radiator grille and a few other strange places...

An odd day
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Posted Today, 16:33

Afternoon Awl,

An odd day, 
Oddity 1, I ventured to the sailing club, a few minutes late, to reach the A149, to find at the end of the long straight, A front loader shoving the remains of a fallen tree off of the road. 

Oddity 2, In the far distance I could see stationary blue flashing lights. This stretch of the A149 is part of the former M&GN line to Yarmouth beach station.
I turned off before reaching the blue lights.

After getting past the fallen tree, a police car went the other way that's oddity 3, they're like hens teeth round here..

Oddity 4, I drove round a heron standing in the middle of the sailing club car park,

Oddity 5, I was first at the club but the security gate was open.

Wind nothing to not a lot, oddity 6 a south Easterly very rare here. Tide maximum coming in so probably 2, 2 mph against us.
Due to that we set off to 1P, 2P, 4P.

Race 1,
We got a perfect start, first on the line where we wanted to be, so the wind promptly shifted giving the advantage to the next two boats. After a couple of tacks we had 5 boats tacking down river struggling against the tide, all getting inneach others way, suddenly the 5th place boat got a bit of wind and shot through to second place.

We reached buoy 1 in 5th rounding that we hauled up the spinnaker and drifted back toward the club, overtaking one boat and nearing the 3rd place boat.

Rounding bouy 2 in 4th, we were just able keep the spinnaker up very close hauled just occasionally the spinnaker collapsing. We drifted slowly below the next boat into third. Mean while the rescue boat went past and brought buoy 4 back to just round the bend as it had taken half an hour so far. 
Down spinnaker, pull out the Genoa round bouy 4 and start tacking toward the bend. Suddenly the 4th place boat shot past us as they got a rare puff of wind.
Round the bend and it was one long tack on the left hand bank. The second place boat stayed on the left hand bank too long, we cut the corner and gained a lot.

We tacked slowly up to buoy 1 then up spinnaker, and chased the third place down we got an overlap but unfortunately on the outside going round buoy 2 so although we had an overlap they got third.

Oddity 7 we stopped, grabbed a tea and coffee and back in the boat with them.

Sadly one of our club members has a terminal illness, and had expressed a wish to go for a final sail with the club and his family. So all the yeoman's racing plus others that came out especially, sailed off to Black Horse Broad. Some had come from other sailing clubs...

Oddity 8 the owners of Black Horse Broad had given special permission to open the broad during the winter for this one event. 

We got towed into the broad and then set sail for the corner as we approached we could see Kevin being assisted by his wife and another adult to walk to the moorings of a house there. A club member had his yeoman ready there, and helped Kevin on board. Kevin set sail on the helm with his wife and 2 young teenage daughters.
We then spent 2 hours cruising around the broad in company until Kevin returned back to the moorings.
Then we headed back to the club, to pack up and have lunch.

Oddity 9 on the way home an unmarked white Audi estate went hammering back down the A149,.... With blue lights flashing in the radiator grille and a few other strange places...

An odd day

Shame the unmarked cars were not in the Salhouse area at around 13:00 there were two VW Golfs clearly modified and racing each other (one black the other dark metallic grey); how do i know they were modified:

Through the ventilation system of my car I could smell the exhaust emission when they opened up.

They were lower than a standard GTI

They had big wheels with the tyres "kissing" the wheel arches.  

Well this solves Oddity 2, clever crashing a car on a dead straight bit of road...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/33-year-old-man-arrested-for-drink-driving-after-car-stolen-and-dumped-by-side-of-a149-in-catfield-1-5356521

The police /  EDP  were wrong in their wording they stated the car was recovered at 06:30, when you can clearly see it's still there in day light. I think they mean it was found at 06:30....

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:14, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I can really understand how this make you feel like getting out the baseball bat, or for you the shotgun! But my van got broken into a few years ago and they made off with a couple of my drills and a cheap test meter. For me though I buy cheap drills like Ryobi which are good enough for what I need them for, but aftersales on the black market won't buy them a decent round at the pub.:default_biggrin:

The next day after the burglary though is very much an inconvenience, so with an alarm, steel mesh on the rear windows, van safe and never leaving your van open for the world to see does help.

• Like 1

My van is normally locked.  Until I get the blasted cctv evidence I can't be sure if it was unlocked or they used one of those infernal 'Remote Catchers'  I think it was at that time unlocked as I was busy going back and forth putting tools onboard.

One small bit of good news, the suppliers that I have purchased replacements was the same purchasers I used before and they generously included a free bit / drill set seeing as I was a crime victim and a returning customer - That was good of them

Shotgun - Far to quick / easy,  Baseball bat - Much more satisfying.  There is one thing for sure, If I ever get near their van, it will incur far more than £350 worth of repairs :default_badday:

Griff

• Like 1

As I sit here in t office, I see on my cctv monitor that it is snowing outside good and proper (Well - obviously outside Griffin :default_dunce: )

Oh joy and glee as I have yet to take the dogs out for their evening walk, I just knew I should have gone out earlier but got engrossed in Britain's top 100 dogs on the goggle box.   Our Macie (Golden retriever) came in at number 16, but I did learn that out of the 100 listed dogs, apparently retrievers have the loudest bark of them all - Every day is a school day

Griff

Griff did you register your cctv at home about £35 a year if it covers the front of the house etc. Daft laws if this person giving you the video didn't want to and they ain't registered they can get pulled and fined covering public area.

Mine covers next doors drive as well but I've put the masking over there doors and windows on the recorder and they have a copy image showing them whats recording.

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

As I sit here in t office, I see on my cctv monitor that it is snowing outside good and proper (Well - obviously outside Griffin :default_dunce: )

Oh joy and glee as I have yet to take the dogs out for their evening walk, I just knew I should have gone out earlier but got engrossed in Britain's top 100 dogs on the goggle box.   Our Macie (Golden retriever) came in at number 16, but I did learn that out of the 100 listed dogs, apparently retrievers have the loudest bark of them all - Every day is a school day

Griff

I have an Irish Staffy, so it would be nice to know what position he came in. He is 10 years old and I love him dearly, but he had to go in for an operation recently and it cost me dearly. But I have to say, he is worth every penny and much more.

Griff did you register your cctv at home about £35 a year if it covers the front of the house etc. Daft laws if this person giving you the video didn't want to and they ain't registered they can get pulled and fined covering public area.

I registered my system with the company I bought  it from but that is all. I have four cameras as per the photo.  One of them does partially cover the path and road, another one does cover part of my neighbours drive and one of his cars which he is most happy about

Griff

BA NBN 383.JPG

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I registered my system with the company I bought  it from but that is all. I have four cameras as per the photo.  One of them does partially cover the path and road, another one does cover part of my neighbours drive and one of his cars which he is most happy about

Griff

BA NBN 383.JPG

The top left looks a bit strange, but as the Police have said, cctv has it's limitations and as the normal thief doesn't work a 9 to 5, a few percentage of thieves ever get convicted because all they need is gloves..

The top left looks a bit strange,

The top left - Harry the spider has been spinning and his web has got wet.  It's an ongoing competition between me and him to keep the lens clear, he is winning this evenings battle but I will even the score tomorrow.  That particular camera covers my conservatory and garage, which is proper secure, plus Macie dog with the loudest bark in Britain sleeps in the conservatory

Griff

Today, with skies grey and rain in the air, I turned my attention to my garage/worshop. "Let's have a wood-turning day", I said to myself. I have a nice half-log (Ash I think) in the woodshed, which is just asking to be turned into a bowl. First I looked at my gouges and chisels, which were blunt as button-hooks. Sharpening these "freehand" wasn't working out very well. "Wouldn't it be nice to have a jig which would help me to grind a consistent bevel angle on the cutting surfaces of these" I thought. I found a long piece of scrap angle iron, with a bent up end to hold the butt end of the tool being sharpened,, Next I cut a 6inch by 1/4 inch slot down the middle of one side of the angle so I can adjust for length, and hence alter the grinding angle.  Not having a fully equipped metalworking shop, I did this the old-school way by drilling a line of holes, joining them up with a hacksaw and then tidying up with a file to make a clean slot.  Next I drilled a couple of holes in the bed of my grinder and bolted the jig onto it under and parallel to the wheel, with bolts secured by wingnuts for adjustment.   I set to and sharpened my  gouges and did the skew chisels whilst I was at it. All went well. 

I found my piece of log, cut off the corners and mounted it on my lathe via a screw chuck.  The newly sharpened tools did their job well and I spent about half an hour carefully roughing out a bowl blank from the log only to find, having removed the bark, a fine hairline crack, of long standing,  in the wood. "Darn"! or words to that effect. The blank was duly "demoted" to the log bin and I came indoors to get warm. 

Ah well, you win some and you lose some.

• Like 3

The buoys were put out in their normal places, there was scattered clouds and a strong south westerly of 15 mph Gusting 30 mph. With the gusts often angle to the general direction to the wind.

Race one course 4P, 1P, 2P.
We started at the starboard end of the line by the club house, just as the buzzer went.
One boat managed to get out from under us and we followed that up tacking up river the distance varying between 20 and 50 ft. All the way up to buoy 4, on rounding buoy 4 the wind was too gusty for the spinnaker. So we tried to hold out the Genoa in a goose winged position. However the gusts from a different angle often collapsed that.

We kept close all the way own to buoy 1, and back to buoy 2. Then we started all over again and we were still holding station until my hat got knocked off. I recovered my hat and was just stuffing it back on my head when we got hit by a huge gust tilted over and took a large quantity of water on board. After that we slowly got left behind for the rest of that lap and the next. So we finished second still a long way ahead of the third placed boat.

Race two. Wind stronger...
Not such a good start we arrived on the line too early, dumping wind like mad to stop going over. When we heard the buzzer and pulled the sails in we were at the right place but moving slowly. So three boats got out in front of us, and they continued to tack and tack about up the river. 
We were slowly gaining, when it happened, I stood on a rope and slipped, the back of my coat caught on a cleat and as the boat heeled. I was suspended by my jacket sliding under my armpits so I couldn't move my arms, . The boat taking on a huge amount of water. It then righted, and my feet hit the bottom of the boat, badly hurting my long time damaged big toe.

Now freed we were able to get sorted, and continued on, water coming over the floor boards every time we tacked. We then continued to lose distance behind the leading three, and barely finished ahead of the 5th place boat.

We went back to our mooring to get properly sorted, the other boat prepared to race again assumed we were packing up and packed up themselves.

Not a good days sailing, my arms and knees are sore, my back is painful and my big toe is *****y painful. 

• Sad 2

Oi you lot, :default_biggrin:you aren't doing enough "My Days" it's not just me meant to be contributing here...

After putting the flags up and the buoys out I returned to the club to be asked to put the flags to half mast.

Kevin Dixon who we held a special sailing trip for, on Black horse Broad a couple of weeks ago, had succumbed to the cancer.

During putting buoys out I got sandblasted by ice crystals, luckily it didn't occur again until after racing.

Weather North Easterly, 10 to 12 mph scattered clouds. Strong out going tide.

Course 1 P. 3P. Start line at the pontoon half way up the straight.
Race 1
Just before the start my compatriot noticed our spinnaker sheets were still tied up, so i was undoing them, while he pootled about, we were just heading back to the line when the buzzer went. We were the wrong side of the line... Just.. so we rapidly crossed and tacked around to find us in third place...
We set off tacking our way towards the club house, then turned the swan corner to head towards buoy 1 which 3/4 the way down the village straight, well beyond the New Inn. As the other two were occupying the middle of the river we were forced to take the right hand side. Soon the wind came behind us and we pulled up the spinnaker, The other two didn't. After a short time we got clear ahead just in time to have full rights for the buoy.( 3 boat lengths out.)

Rounding the buoy were inches ahead, we got into a tacking match with the second place boat they got ahead, then we got ahead. Then the third place boat got into a tacking match with boat two. This gave us clear room and we got a good gap between us.

Rounding the Swan inn corner up spinnaker again, we tried to keep to the left hand bank out off the outgoing tide. Boats 2 and 3 were having a shadowing match down the middle, so we gained more distance to buoy 3. Round buoy 3 spinnaker down , Genoa out. Then start tacking away again, they caught up a bit during the tacking but we still held a good distance. Then off onto lap 2 and then 3, we gradually gained even more clearance to finish 1st.

After a warming soup,

Race 2, same course.

At least we were heading the right way this time, we started in second place and tacked our way up to Swan corner, we were in a group of three with another two close behind.
Off down the straight we were line abreast across the river when we could up spinnaker. We ended up in the middle, the right hand boat shot through and got through to clear ahead for the buoy.
Rounding the buoy we had to tack hard and slowed which allowed the third boat in our group to get alongside and then clear ahead.

We all tacked our way up to Swan corner then all spinnakers up and ran down to buoy, still arriving in the same order. We gybed round and then tacked towards the club. This time there were dinghies coming towards us as the were doing 2P, 3P this time. This delayed us, allowing boats 1 and 2 to get away. As we approached buoy 2 we got a dinghy to our right, he needed to turn left round the buoy we needed to turn right to go to buoy 1. Unfortunately the dinghy tried a maneuver to get round us and made a complete mess of it. So we had to take evasive action. In doing so we lost another place and were down to 4th.

Running down to buoy 1 we gained enough to be right behind boat 3. Gybing round buoy 1 we then tacked up to Swan corner holding third, spinnakers up and we held position to buoy 3. Tubing round that we were again messed up by dinghies allowing the boat behind to get along side they then got past. We tacked to together a couple of times, and then we got past , just in time for the finishing line... So we finished 3rd.

Cheese rolls and soup, then home as no one else wanted to play again.

• Like 1