My Day

LizG

someone at work has two kids and last winter I spotted these on wish, she is also a big fan of plastic ducks, so when I spotted these on wish on an impulse I bought a pair of them, she only wanted one, so I was left with a spare, the penguin was also cheap and I thought it was the same as the duck maker, like a pair of tongs, but when it arrived it was bigger.

as they were only a few quid i kept the penguin and one duck maker, and figured they would make for some fun when it next snowed, and yes they are great fun, plus if I make just one person smile as they walk past my house in these grim times, they will be worth the cost 100 times over.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, grendel said:

plus if I make just one person smile as they walk past my house in these grim times, they will be worth the cost 100 times over.

That is a good enough reason for me. :default_biggrin:

On Christmas eve seven of my neighbours got their houses flooded out by the brook that runs beside us, one of them popped out for something and on return had a load of white plastic ducks very similar to your snow ducks (only plasticy not snowy obviously, but still sort of duck shaped as ducks would be....) laid out around the front garden on all the bits high enough to show above water, they had a sighting of a car suspected of being involved and had a good idea who it was and luckily saw the funny side, they are still there now.(if the wind hasn't dispersed them)

• Like 1

Well, what another busy week I've had.

Fifteen hours of preparation work, assisted by the showroom staff.  By 1800 last night I had fixed down 55 x m2 more of the large format porcelain tiles.  Going in today to grout that lot.  As per diary I'm now halfway into this job.  That should mean that I have fixed and grouted over 100 x m2.  Current total stands at 82 x m2.  However there is a fair area that is prepped and ready to accept tiles early next week.  Target by a week today should be 150 x m2 completed - I doubt that will be achieved.   I had to work last Saturday and again today. This year was supposed to be work free on Saturdays too.  Onwards and upward again then

Griff

• Like 2

Oh and btw, talking of Lottery tickets.  Yesterday early evening I went to our local Spar shop, handed in a ticket for checking - £30 win !  - Whoop Whoop :default_icon_clap:

That paid for 2 x bottles of wine, another lottery ticket then off round to t chippy and dinner for two.

We at this hovel certainly know how to handle the high life

Griff

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Oh and btw, talking of Lottery tickets.  Yesterday early evening I went to our local Spar shop, handed in a ticket for checking - £30 win !  - Whoop Whoop :default_icon_clap:

That paid for 2 x bottles of wine, another lottery ticket then off round to t chippy and dinner for two.

We at this hovel certainly know how to handle the high life

Griff

Best I have managed with my one ticket per draw ( when I remember to play) is 5 free goes from 2 numbers since Christmas which is better than my 6 month average I guess

I have just been out on the terrace in my PJs and Rab down jacket. It appears that the Norfolk thaw will now start tommorrow instead of today as origially forecast.

I am getting 0 deg C, wind SSE 24mph gusting 36 windchill -8 C. 

Tomorrow's forecast is heavy rain and a 10 deg rise in temperature. The ground is going to be saturated and more.

The view just now :- 

20210214_064716.thumb.jpg.a179e18dae118d4c1bafe86a20ec6106.jpg

20210214_064744.thumb.jpg.281ec05cb3e5f13b578fd69400a8cdf2.jpg

20210214_064948.thumb.jpg.e1b6fd812bf8b7cf9700d0e02ed03b87.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

shut out of my workshop at present as there is no way I am going out there with it at 3 degrees as it was yesterday, it may well be even colder today as I havent checked yet, I do have heating out there, but that would take several hours to get into double figures, so indoors jobs it is today.

• Like 1

Beautiful photos Chris. According to the forecast I have seen this is the coldest part of the day. Temperatures should rise through the day and again through the night with rain to come. I like the snow when it first arrives but not once we get these treacherous pavements with compacted ice. 

Sorted. Yesterday grouted the lot and managed another 2 x Hrs applying another 85kg's levelling compound.  That means come Monday I have about a 60 odd m2 area ready to accept tiles.  I'm also getting quite adept at moving motorcycles around the place without dropping / scratching em

Today the daytime temperature is at last above freezing, that means I can wash Trevor Transit at last.  Purdey dogs walk will be a more pleasant affair too

Griff

• Like 1

So, there I was here in t office when I heard a loud Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz followed by a gentle 'Whump' sort of a sound.

Now just what the chuffin heck was that? I thought to mysen.

Then I saw it.  A Lancaster bomber cleverly disguised as a Jasper.  Just look at the size of the blasted thing too :default_icon_e_surprised:  To give you some sort of scale in the photo, that's a full pint glass :default_ohmy:

Just what on earth is one of these hooligans doing out and about at this time of year then?

Why did it end up in my office?

How did it get itsen into our hovel?

Where did it come from?

Now I don't have an aversion to Jaspers they don't bother me much even though I've been stung a plenty before now by simply ignoring them.  This fellow was captured then released outside about 30 odd minutes ago

Griff

BA NBN 934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just what on earth is one of these hooligans doing out and about at this time of year then?

As soon as the sun comes out onto the back of our house I keep getting ladybirds 🐞 inside my office. I have a phobia of them and need rescuing every time! 😂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Failed miserably,

Completed another six day working week.  It should have been just five of course.  The reason for having to do six days yet again? - The client - There's a surprise then - Not

Mon - Thurs was booked in for a four day kitchen wall tiling job. 9 x m2 of small 200 x 65mm ceramic tiles.  The deal was the client would remove the small amount of original tiles, make good any rough areas, remove all wall paper,

I arrived Monday morning to find wall adhesive left on, loose / crumbling plaster and not a jot of wall paper removed.  Also to be informed that they wanted a couple more m2 sticking on too taking it to 11 x m2 in all.

I got set too, Seven hours later I commenced with actually sticking on some wall tiles.  

Saturday morning (Supposed to be a day off) I collected some more of the clients chosen tile on my way back to the clients and then completed the job by around 1700

So, we go again tomorrow with a planned five day week, we will see

Griff

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Failed miserably,

Completed another six day working week.  It should have been just five of course.  The reason for having to do six days yet again? - The client - There's a surprise then - Not

Mon - Thurs was booked in for a four day kitchen wall tiling job. 9 x m2 of small 200 x 65mm ceramic tiles.  The deal was the client would remove the small amount of original tiles, make good any rough areas, remove all wall paper,

I arrived Monday morning to find wall adhesive left on, loose / crumbling plaster and not a jot of wall paper removed.  Also to be informed that they wanted a couple more m2 sticking on too taking it to 11 x m2 in all.

I got set too, Seven hours later I commenced with actually sticking on some wall tiles.  

Saturday morning (Supposed to be a day off) I collected some more of the clients chosen tile on my way back to the clients and then completed the job by around 1700

So, we go again tomorrow with a planned five day week, we will see

Griff

At least you're working mate.

Some of us have been prevented from earning anything since Christmas! 

At least you're working mate.

Some of us have been prevented from earning anything since Christmas! 

I know, I do really and am trying my best not to feel guilty about others that are not so fortunate.

I have to work as got no furlough or any financial help whatsoever since the first lock down, still haven't and tbh don't need any either, so when we collectively have to start paying off the national debt at least I know I didn't add to it!  That first lockdown three months was tough though, slowly going bankrupt!

For those forumites that couldn't work, I have your back.  Just ask me to buy you a pint when we are lucky enough to be in each others company and I will of course do so :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 3

Another weekend with time spent working on refurbishing the trailer, axle mounted, more derusting carried out. All other new and old parts collected up from storage, ready for individual zinc paint coating.

The keel was moved down to the boat from outside the workshop,  Easter weekend I hope to raise the boat up enough to get the keel under.

Back to work again tomorrow, I had 9 weeks off last year, but have been now working as normal since June last year, I'll be happier with that when I get the second jab, I really disliked it before any jab at all. At least at work most of the time, I'm  on my own in a air-conditioned and air filtered lab. Only about 390 working days till I retire..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news to end the month,

Youngest son (35 ) qualified as a proper surveyor today.

December 2019 he left Estate Agency and joined the companys surveying programme.

He is dyslexic and really had to work twice as hard as others.

After the last year of disruption to his training and a stack of hard work he was awarded ARICS. 

I managed to help him for the first six months but after that he left me behind, I probably wouldn't qualify now.

To say I am proud is an understatement.

• Like 12

Packing, packing . . . . . . . . . and more packing.  If I suggest at any time in the future that I want to move again, please shoot me!!  How we fitted all of this toot in a small house is beyond me and I am painfully aware that a lot more ‘thinning out’ will have to be done as we settle into our bungalow (but at least it has a sizeable loft 😁).  I can’t see there’ll be much rest for me for several weeks as renovation and decoration gets underway.

Just a few more bits to pack now before we say goodbye to Northampton life and a new start in Norfolk.  Roll on the weekend.  It’ll be busy, but not as stressful as the last few days have been!!

• Like 8
  • Love 1