My Day

LizG

Good luck with the move! Im so jealous. Our sale fell through and it all got too stressful with all the faffing so its on hold for a year or so.  The good thing with the process is we were ruthless, got a skip and got rid of so much as we were moving into a smaller house.  We also made use of Gumtree and sold a load of stuff which has paid for the boat’s electric bill, so the downside, we didn’t move but the upside we have loads more space!  Keep us posted how it goes 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

Good luck Malcolm! Hope the day goes well. Are you moving in one day? Ours was a two day move coming up from Essex. 

Thanks Jean.  Yes we did move in one day, although we did get the lorry Wednesday afternoon and load most of it by the evening.  It took a while finishing up this morning and cleaning the old house through, but we left around midday and got to the new property around 14:30.  Unfortunately, the solicitors took their time with the legal bit and we didn’t get the keys until 16:00.  But we’re in now and reflecting on a long, but satisfying day.  The next few days will be hard work, trying to sort our possessions and thinning out what we should have done before we moved, but we’re happy to have arrived and to now be able to say that we are residents of Norfolk.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Good luck Malcolm, hope to up too this year.

Thanks Ian.  It’s been a stressful few months from putting our house on the market to finally getting here and I’m glad that bits over.  Next will be planning the renovation so we can get it how we want it.

Good luck with your sale and finding your next home,

• Thanks 1

Glad the move went okay Malcolm. Just rest assured it’s probably the most stressed you’ll be for years, so you can now relax (says us who last moved house in 1986!).

Living in the same house for that length of time is lovely...apart from the thought of trying to sort out all the ‘stored away stuff’ you (we) have amassed for the last 35 years.:default_badday:

• Like 1

It’s interesting how some people stay in one place for so long while others move around. I lived in one house right through my childhood. But we’re now in our sixth house since we got married, four that we owned and two that went with my husband’s job so were never going to be long term. 

Hope you had a good first night in your new home Malcolm. 

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Says the man with 'location, Northants' under his name :default_biggrin:

A warm welcome to the area chap, it's a brilliant place to be!

Not now!  To be honest, after the events of yesterday, updating my profile was not at the forefront of the list of things to do!!

Thanks for the good wishes folks.  For the record, this was the fourth (and hopefully last) move since we were married in 1980.

• Like 1

We are on our 5th and, I thought, final house until our local authority decided to turn the area from picturesque villages to urban sprawl. We do need to move but our experience last time - 25 years ago - was horrendous with breaking chains and  idiot "buyers" who kept us on the hook until we found a place we liked, incurred expense  and then pulled out the rug.

Norfolk is not on the table for reasons that I have explained elsewhere. Yorkshire, where I hail from , is too cold and wet and much of the area I am from has already been spoiled and so the plan seems to be to move near one of our daughters. West Berkshire has the advantage that it is where our grandkids are but against that it is further from our boat,  a long way from the sea and just as likely to be spoiled by sprawling development.  Our other daughter is in Whitstable. No children, area already "developed"  but closer to the Broads and by the sea. How do you choose ?  

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We are on our 5th and, I thought, final house until our local authority decided to turn the area from picturesque villages to urban sprawl. We do need to move but our experience last time - 25 years ago - was horrendous with breaking chains and  idiot "buyers" who kept us on the hook until we found a place we liked, incurred expense  and then pulled out the rug.

Norfolk is not on the table for reasons that I have explained elsewhere. Yorkshire, where I hail from , is too cold and wet and much of the area I am from has already been spoiled and so the plan seems to be to move near one of our daughters. West Berkshire has the advantage that it is where our grandkids are but against that it is further from our boat,  a long way from the sea and just as likely to be spoiled by sprawling development.  Our other daughter is in Whitstable. No children, area already "developed"  but closer to the Broads and by the sea. How do you choose ?  

Go and look at houses in both areas. That might make the decision much easier. Good luck.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Outline planning permission for your old worksite has been approved Steve.

That was my first old work site Nigel. The second one already has a massive Sainsburys sitting on it. 

Apart from my childhood home this is the longest I've lived in one house, it will be 17 years in May. When we retired from Brookmans Park, North London in 2000 we thought we had moved into our forever home. It was a large brand new  show Bungalow in Soham but it didn't take me long to realise I didn't want to live in a bungalow and we were there during the worst of times which didn't help plus very unpleasant neighbours . So we bought  a new house off plan on a small development in a small nearbye market town. We moved onto our boat ( a Fairline Mirage aft cabin ), moored in Ely for a 3  months while it was being built. Just as well we did because the solicitors fouled up and the funds for the new house didn't come through till the next day We were so comfortable on the boat we took advantage of the  newly completed house being empty and we decorated it right through.  I think we will end up in a bungalow at some point for practical reasons but I still don't find the prospect appealing. While I realise moving house is very stressful what I do love about it is the grand clear out that  of necessity goes with it -  positively theraputic for a card carrying chucker -outer like me!

Carole

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, addicted said:

Apart from my childhood home this is the longest I've lived in one house, it will be 17 years in May. When we retired from Brookmans Park, North London in 2000 we thought we had moved into our forever home. It was a large brand new  show Bungalow in Soham but it didn't take me long to realise I didn't want to live in a bungalow and we were there during the worst of times which didn't help plus very unpleasant neighbours . So we bought  a new house off plan on a small development in a small nearbye market town. We moved onto our boat ( a Fairline Mirage aft cabin ), moored in Ely for a 3  months while it was being built. Just as well we did because the solicitors fouled up and the funds for the new house didn't come through till the next day We were so comfortable on the boat we took advantage of the  newly completed house being empty and we decorated it right through.  I think we will end up in a bungalow at some point for practical reasons but I still don't find the prospect appealing. While I realise moving house is very stressful what I do love about it is the grand clear out that  of necessity goes with it -  positively theraputic for a card carrying chucker -outer like me!

Carole

I am already well on the way with the grand clear-out. Our loft now only contains Christmas decorations and a few old toys which will go to the kids, if they want them, or charity.  I cleared 25 years worth of rubbish from the garage last week and now have only stuff that will move with me.  As Addicted said, very cathartic process, especially for a lifetime hoarder like me. 

• Like 2

There is nothing in  our loft except leftover carpet which we would leave  anyway.  After the mammoth  clearance job we had when we relocated  back in 2000 - I've banned Tony from  putting stuff up there. At least now if he is hanging on to toot I can see it and get Rid!

Carole

1 hour ago, addicted said:

I

1 hour ago, addicted said:

While I realise moving house is very stressful what I do love about it is the grand clear out that  of necessity goes with it -  positively theraputic for a card carrying chucker -outer like me!

I also had a massive clear and Chuck exercise when we moved from Essex 

sadly he did not and all of those unwanted never used tools , gadgets and meaningless cables are now resident in the garage he will sort them he has promised been here 18 months now !

we also have banned the use of the loft 

• Haha 1

Oh dear the ga

10 minutes ago, snunn said:

I also had a massive clear and Chuck exercise when we moved from Essex 

sadly he did not and all of those unwanted never used tools , gadgets and meaningless cables are now resident in the garage he will sort them he has promised been here 18 months now !

we also have banned the use of the loft 

Oh dear that massive bone of contention THE GARAGE! Every now and then I threaten to get a skip and  that does the trick. Just imagine how much  I could  get into one of those! Tony does and  breaks out in a cold sweat.

Carole

On 02/04/2021 at 13:16, addicted said:

Oh dear the ga

Oh dear that massive bone of contention THE GARAGE! Every now and then I threaten to get a skip and  that does the trick. Just imagine how much  I could  get into one of those! Tony does and  breaks out in a cold sweat.

Carole

What is it with garages? Every time I give my husband something to take to the tip, I know I will find it yonks later squirrelled away in the garage. He can’t bear to throw anything away because ‘it might come in handy’! Trouble is we have a very large double garage with various cupboards and hidey-holes, even a loft in the eaves. One day...........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We have a car in the garage. The only problem is that it’s been there for about 28 years. Graham keeps meaning to restore it. It’s a 1960s vintage Wolsey Hornet. About 5 years ago I gave him an ultimatum to at least start the restoration with the next 12 months or sell it. But then my Mum came to live with us and Graham was her carer, so I relented.

• Like 1