My Day

LizG

Sorry to hear this Helen, social services were very good when my mum was in a similar situation. Eventually she had to move into a care home but we found a small one which was like a home from home, she steadily improved and was fairly happy for the 1 1/2 years she was there.

• Like 2

Please don't feel guilty, this  is an all too familiar situation and one I had to deal with back in the 70's with my nan ( my parents were hopeless and left it to me to sort out.) I was told by social services at the time that  if nan didn't want to go anywhere else  then that was her right and  I  couldn't insist. All I was able to do from  a distance ( I was in Enfield and she was in Canvey Island) was make sure  social services kept a close eye in her and eventually they were able to persuade her to go into a care home.

Carole

• Like 1

my mum is currently in a care home, she had a pacemaker fitted after her third visit to hospital in a week, she isnt allowed to use her arm for any heavy lifting for a few weeks following the operation, and as she relies on hauling herself up the stairs by mostly her arms cold not come home until she can manage the stairs,so has gone to a temporary care home for a few weeks to regain her strength. dad is distraught, as he hasnt seen her for two weeks, and now the prospect of not seeing her for another two weeks due to covid quarantine in the care home, he has managed to deliver some clean clothes to reception, and a mobile phone so they can chat. he is complaining about having to have the same meal 2 days running as everything has been brought with the two of them in mind. still the good news is really that she is out of hospital on the path to recovery. something that cannot be taken for granted with a 91 year old

• Like 2

worse still she cannot stay with myself or sister during the recovery as i dont have the space downstairs, and my sister currently has builders in cwith a ground floor extension that once finished would have been ideal for mums convalescence, with a downstairs room and toilet/shower.

• Sad 1

I am sure that someone we used to live near on Bledlow Ridge hired a tempory stair lift, but unfortunately they are no longer here for me to ask. You could make enquiries. Could she aquire one via a mobility allowance?

I believe they have made enquiries in the past and their stairs are unsuitable for a stair lift, I will suggest it again to my father, but the stairs turn a right angle at the top and I believe the issue was that at the top somewhere would be needed to park the stairlift, and that would be right in front of the bathroom door.

Our stair lift has to turn three right angles and had the same problem with storage at the top. 

To get round the problem it came with a remote control that allows it to return to the bottom where it then charges. A simple press of a button and it travels back to the top ready for use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

before my nan went into care and was still at home I used to try and ring her to see how she was and she quickly  realised that I used to ring her at   regular times, so she used to take the receiver off in readiness for the calls!   I used to ring the local police and get them to pop round and put it back on so  I could  get through. One day in spite of having phoned the police the receiver remained off so I rang them again to ask if they had been round and received the reply that indeed they had but they were unable to go in because of a vicious dog that had frightened the life out of them! Nan's dog was an elderly exceptionally small  Yorkie!

Carole

• Haha 1

Well that's a right PITA

I turned up at clients as arranged at 0800, no one in but for a cute dog woofing through the window at me

Rang her - She was one her way to work.  Turned out she has 'Forgot' 

Brilliant, no work or earnings for me today.  Todays earnings was supposed to be paying for the fixing of side bars tomorrow on Trevor too :default_smiley-angry047:

What's more annoying is that luckily for her I have a spare day next week that I had earmarked for spending the day working on our dinghy 'Tender To', I'll have to give her that one now otherwise she will be waiting till end of August

Not happy

Griff

• Sad 2

On 17/04/2021 at 21:11, YnysMon said:

. . . . . . . . . . . Today he keep saying he must get a train home and that he’ll be fine at home...it was just that he hadn’t feel feeling well for a few days. (The mess we found was more than a few days worth). Which leaves us in a quandary. We really don’t think he can look after himself any longer and think he should stay with us. We understand that he wants to be in his own home though.

Its so worrying. I think the best we can do is to phone social services and the Dr’s on Monday to ask for advice.

We are feeling immensely guilty that we stuck with ‘the rules’ and didn’t check him out earlier. 

Sorry to hear Helen and apologies for missing the post and not commenting sooner.  We had a similar situation a few years ago with my dad, albeit different circumstances.  My dad was fiercely independent, hated being dependent on others and was positive that he would be okay, but mum wasn’t able to cope with him how he was.  It was left to me to make a couple of phone calls and get him taken into hospital, where he remained for just over six weeks until he passed away.  To this day, I struggle with the thought that I was responsible for him being taken from his home for the last time to spend his last few weeks hospitalised.  However, I do know that it was the only thing that I could have done for mum’s sake.

Sometimes, life presents situations that call for difficult decisions.  Trust your own instincts and do what you think best.

Good luck.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

For us three viewings  at home and seven or eight tomorrow. 

Have facts and figures to hand re council tax, heating costs per year, gas and electricky and any other Q the muppets might ask, top tips leave the talking to the agent if they are there and hide any jewellery.

21 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Have facts and figures to hand re council tax, heating costs per year, gas and electricky and any other Q the muppets might ask, top tips leave the talking to the agent if they are there and hide any jewellery.

We weren’t allowed to be in the property whilst viewings were in progress due to Covid regulations.  The agent had to show potential buyers round.  I don’t think they’ve changed yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We weren’t allowed to be in the property whilst viewings were in progress due to Covid regulations.  The agent had to show potential buyers round.  I don’t think they’ve changed yet.

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We sit in the garden.

It was the same for us last June but we had no agent there. We let the people in and let them wander round the house on their own. When the weather was nice enough we sat outside. If not we kept to one end of the kitchen diner. Doors had to be left open enough for them to look inside. Then we went round and cleaned all the handles and stair rails before the next people arrived. Hard work when we had 9 viewings in one day!

Hope it goes well Ian. 👍

• Thanks 1