My Day

LizG

After much upping and downing of the boat, and levering a keel into position, while kneeling down beneath the boat. The keel bolts are now showing through the hull in the right places..

Next week a trial lift of the keel into position, if that's ok, lower, cover the top of the keel with sealant, and lift the keel with Eye nuts attached to the keel bolts. 200+ KG of hull sitting on the keel, should give the sealant a good squeeze. Then put blocks under keel, lower the assembly onto the blocks. Prop the boat up, go inside, do up the nuts.. clean off excess squeezed out,  leave to set.. 

• Like 2

Just received a threatening letter from BA, prosecution within 2 weeks, for not having broads MOT...

Pity I emailed them the first time they sent a letter it was in Boulters having work done including the BSS and they replied BSS not necessary till it leaves the yard..

Pity I sent them an email when the Broads tax was due that it was still in the boat yard and they replied BSS not needed while in the yard..

Tried twice this morning  sending a stroppy email to the "safety team" and the email was bounced email address not known..

38 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Just received a threatening letter from BA, prosecution within 2 weeks, for not having broads MOT...

Pity I emailed them the first time they sent a letter it was in Boulters having work done including the BSS and they replied BSS not necessary till it leaves the yard..

Pity I sent them an email when the Broads tax was due that it was still in the boat yard and they replied BSS not needed while in the yard..

Tried twice this morning  sending a stroppy email to the "safety team" and the email was bounced email address not known..

The trouble with people these days (not just the BA is that they do not read the contents of emails.  It very much applies to GPs.     They have it their brain what course of action they are on and the left hand side of the brain has not kicked in.

• Like 1

Another update on my 17th April post (in which I recounted our visit to Anglesey, when we found my father in law in a bit of a 'state'. Lockdowns haven't helped many isolated and elderly people).

Anyway, the latest is that we travelled up to Anglesey again Wednesday evening. Our satnav (Shirley) got very confused on the way and called 'Northwich' (Cheshire) 'Norwich'. She's obviously been to Norfolk a few too many times. She was trying to make us go 'the wrong way' anyway, as we were heading up the M6 aiming for the M56. 

I'd arranged an appointment for a Social Worker to call around to Dad's house Thursday morning to do an initial assessment. Very impressed with how quickly this happened (we had to wait months for an assessment for my Mum when she moved down to Milton Keynes). Dad doesn't need carer's as such, as he's very capable physically for his age (89 - lots of ballroom dancing right up to start of lockdown and regular walks during lockdown have helped). However, his memory is getting quite dodgy, so he needs other support. It's been suggested he could have an assessment team call in on him regularly over six weeks to see how he's coping.

Yesterday evening Graham and I managed a short walk with the dog on the local beach (Trearddur Bay), the rain having let up slightly. The wind was still very strong though. When we got to the beach the lifeboat was just returning from a call-out. I can't imagine what it would be like to willingly go out in that sea. I took at couple of photos from the same spot, one of the lifeboat station and it's (beach) launching point and another out across the bay. They had to get through all that surf (between the rocks) before getting out to sea. Scary!

IMG_20210520_202010755.thumb.jpg.eacbeceac3c841293eef0255e37a07ee.jpg

IMG_20210520_195654975-EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.9f1f71a5260b07c2d0a52417e028f123.jpg

On their Facebook page they have the following post:

'Our volunteers at Trearddur Bay were involved in one of their most challenging rescues yesterday, testing their training and equipment to the limit. Your donations help fund the training and kit they need. Donate below to help save lives at sea.

Helmsman Lee Duncan said: 'The conditions were treacherous with a strong south westerly blowing in excess of 50mph. We had pretty much our most experienced crew on board - three helms and the lifeboat training officer - and I think in my twenty years on the crew at Trearddur Bay that was possibly the most touch and go shout I have been on.’

Thankfully, although there were paramedics on site for their return, there didn't appear to be a medical emergency. I hope that's the case, as the coastguard helicopter was on the scene at the time too. 

Couldn't help have a smile at the 'mascot' they have on the front of their lifeboat launch vehicle.

IMG_20210520_201659040_HDR.thumb.jpg.96161d4c4f11d22b4571619b4db2e353.jpg

IMG_20210520_201718592.thumb.jpg.ac345714bf0df03c11e2bb8323ff83e0.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been practicing new skills :default_biggrin:

All the canopy makers are stacked out so as I had the material I thought I would have a go.

The slight draw back is I don't have a sewing machine or any sewing skills.

I had a play with various heat activated glues and vinyl welding.

Richard at Snugz tops has said he will put it through his sewing machine if it fails.

The side screens on the side need to be extended to join the rear, that will involve zips and windows and will be left to Richard later in the year.

IMG-20210529-WA0003.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Jayfire
11 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I have been practicing new skills :default_biggrin:

Great stuff PS, whilst we are on the subject of canopies and such like can anyone offer recommendations to a quality professional company that would be able to make me a new canopy without it ending up an absolute nightmare trying to deal with them and getting it right?

Over in Freeman group world it seems widely regarded as canvas is the better option than acrylic although more expensive, would members here agree with this? I'd rather pay a bit more for a better product that keeps with the Freeman acceptance but don't want to needlessly pay more if it isn't any better

I've tried to actually write something sensible so I hope this all makes sense. Normal service will now resume :default_biggrin:

I have used Snugz tops a few times, like most businesses in Norfolk they have a different timescale to what I am used to but the product is first class.

They have just done a new in marina cover for the little Broom from my template.When I collected it he said the job isn't finished until you are happy, bring it back if it needs altering. Can't get much better than that.

I have gone for vinyl on the sides and back of Whitey as I find it easy to clean and roll up but it probably isn't ideal for a full canopy.

• Like 1

Hi Jayfire i prefer acrylic as it's still soft pliable when cold and doesn't stretch or shrink,  i use Bailey & Stone at Burgh Castle tel 01502732069  or 07757574141 he has a jismo that measure/ plans so you get a perfect fit. John

2 hours ago, Jayfire said:

. . . . . . . . whilst we are on the subject of canopies and such like can anyone offer recommendations to a quality professional company that would be able to make me a new canopy without it ending up an absolute nightmare trying to deal with them and getting it right? . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We had our canopy made by Jeckells.  I contacted another manufacturer last August, who will remain nameless on here, gave him all of the my requirements and he said he’d get back to me with a price and timescale.  I’m still waiting!!

We ordered ours in December and it was fitted late January.  If you’re around the Brundall area, you’re more than welcome to have a look at ours!

EE2B1CD1-97F3-4699-9414-17B891E877FB.jpeg

Guest Jayfire

I'll have a good look into it, I always prefer to know who is recommended by those who have been through the same process so thanks everybody :default_beerchug:

Colin at Storm Force. 07930 666911

Brilliant bloke, absolutely top class work.

Colin has done probably a dozen canopies for me now plus tailored winter covers etc. 

We always go for sunbrella. It seems a  very good compromise.

We've actually started using the boat for accommodation at last. Who knows, one day it may even move. :default_sailing:

So for the first time ever, we visited Wroxham this morning (Sunday). Or should they just change the name of the place to Roy's? It's a bit spooky; it's like he's watching you! 

Anyway, Mrs Raser bought a new dress and a new top from the boutique which wasn't called Roy's but frankly I shouldn't be surprised if he isn't something to do with it somewhere. :default_jumelles:We did buy a bottle of Whitley Neill Orange Gin from Roy's though, just to help with his cashflow. This caused a massive argument: I insisted the gin should stay on the boat but Mrs Raser said it should come home to be consumed here. I lost of course but I put up a good fight. :default_icon_liar:

Good news for all the traders though, there were plenty of people about and loads of youngsters with coolboxes and beer, queuing for day boats. Mrs Raser noticed that some of the young females were slightly under dressed but I was more interested in the scenery :default_norty: like this photo:

1537602812_Wroxhammay2021.thumb.jpg.a9ff28fd170ded1ce4908a28dd4e284d.jpg

What are these? They look deserted but at the same time, quite modern???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

We've actually started using the boat for accommodation at last. Who knows, one day it may even move. :default_sailing:

So for the first time ever, we visited Wroxham this morning (Sunday). Or should they just change the name of the place to Roy's? It's a bit spooky; it's like he's watching you! 

Anyway, Mrs Raser bought a new dress and a new top from the boutique which wasn't called Roy's but frankly I shouldn't be surprised if he isn't something to do with it somewhere. :default_jumelles:We did buy a bottle of Whitley Neill Orange Gin from Roy's though, just to help with his cashflow. This caused a massive argument: I insisted the gin should stay on the boat but Mrs Raser said it should come home to be consumed here. I lost of course but I put up a good fight. :default_icon_liar:

Good news for all the traders though, there were plenty of people about and loads of youngsters with coolboxes and beer, queuing for day boats. Mrs Raser noticed that some of the young females were slightly under dressed but I was more interested in the scenery :default_norty: like this photo:

Why would they want to change the name of Wroxham, in Broadland district to Roy's?

Except for the petrol station Roy's is entirely in the village of Hoveton, In North Norfolk district.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Looks like an ideal mooring for a Bounty or Caribbean!  Where’s about seas it?

It’s in the park area at Hoveton. Some of the park is fenced off as it’s still flooded. And what should be nice footpaths from the viaduct moorings into the village are still a muddy mess that hasn’t dried out since last autumn. Some of the grass is growing back in an area with benches where it’s nice to sit. But the whole place is nothing like the pleasant green land it was last September. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, floydraser said:

I believe they link up with the main channel out to the river, going under the little bridge. I have seen canoes and kayaks launched in them but whether or not that is their true purpose I have no idea. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Why would they want to change the name of Wroxham, in Broadland district to Roy's?

Except for the petrol station Roy's is entirely in the village of Hoveton, In North Norfolk district.

Sorry if I didn't make the irony more visible; I was joking.

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

I believe they link up with the main channel out to the river, going under the little bridge. I have seen canoes and kayaks launched in them but whether or not that is their true purpose I have no idea. 

They do look like an ideal place for launching canoes and the other one being straight, looks like a bathing place. But with the link to the main channel I had my doubts, hence the question on here.

Just been for a walk around there. Lots of people of course with the beautiful weather here today. All the benches were taken. Some families sitting on the grass while other folk had come prepared with their picnic chairs. 

The Hoveton St John moorings were almost full while there was still only a handful of boats at the Viaduct moorings. I know which I would prefer. 

Sadly not on the broads. Tiding up in the garden and the house.Slowly getting there.

Next Monday we are staying  in Cornwall  for a little break, until the Friday.Very much looking forward to it.I've never been. Marina had as a child.Booked in for lunch on the Wednesday one of Paul Answorths Restaurants.  May go up to the boat following week.Just for a day,will see.Nice to at last a sunny and warm Bank Holiday. 

• Like 2