My Day

LizG

Guest MrTumble

Had a wonderful day on the river in the sunshine yesterday, started off warm and cloudy but soon cleared up to a face burning sunny afternoon as I cruised along the Yare and even managed to see a couple of NBN members too 🙂

IMG-20210612-WA0007.thumb.jpg.d2be1ca8d5819797a27dafea59342984.jpg

IMG-20210612-WA0008.thumb.jpg.73382b90d0c17e87e3361ba80af85962.jpg

Guest MrTumble

After a trip into Beccles, last night it was time to head back up the Waveney to Oulton Broad. It was absolutely packed, no doubt partly due to the football earlier that day but what an absolutely gorgeous evening it was

20210613_191101.thumb.jpg.c6d4a10adb126fc2a94844564db692fa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work on Blue Moon My sailing boat was down over the weekend.. the hull painting is finished.. yes it is a very light Blue.

OK just why does this forum just send me a message I'm a newbie and that I've won an award for posting?

IMG_20210627_124444.jpg.87cffe7f14f76dddf7c504210a804c33.jpg

IMG_20210627_124434_1.jpg

Our neighbourhood, has a pigeon problem, we seem to be inundated with them.  The neighbours are complaining of the mess / noise they are causing

A few of them knowing I have the odd peashooter in my arsenal are asking me if I can do owt about the situation and cull the odd dozen.

I have the ideal weapon for this, being a BSA :22 Airsporter in immaculate condition with a telescopic site.

Problem is that pellets should not leave ones property otherwise one can get into serious trouble.  Shooting pigeons off neighbouring rooftops would be great fun and doable, but that's breaking the guidlines of pellets leaving my property boundaries and puts dead pigeons in folks gardens / paths and roads etc

Poisoning them is out as that risks other birds / mammals getting harmed too

I could maybe get a few that land on my roof but other than that it seems then we will just have to live with them :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Griff

I was always told that a 177 was the better airgun for birds, with the smaller pellets having better feather penetration. That aside, If it's a cull you are attempting, it would be a waste of time given the number of birds available to take the place of those killed.

If you do go ahead, and as it's a cull not a sporting shoot, just put a tray of grain down in your garden, go up stairs and wait! No pellets leaving your land that way.

I was always told that a 177 was the better airgun for birds, with the smaller pellets having better feather penetration. 

That's a fair point but I use pointed pellets (For feather) so same result.

The grain tray is a fine idea but our (Large) conservatory is kinda in the way :default_sad:

Griff

Reminds me of a work colleague who was having a pigeon problem. Her first approach was to trap them - stick with a forked end, long string and inverted box with a pile of grain under it. Surprisingly it worked and she soon had a box of cooing vermin. Her husband was making a business trip to the Midlands the following day so he took the birds for a long drive.Unfortunately, he was there for 2 days and the birds were back before him. 

Her next approach was the one that Griff alludes to. She borrowed an air rifle from someone at work. She managed to shoot one but rather than dying a clean death, it flapped its way onto the roof of the house opposite where it proceded to flap around highly visiblly to her embarrasment and the amusement of the neighbours (these were different times - no "snowflakes" then, thankfully for her). She finished up having to borrow a ladder and bringing the, now dead, bird back down to the ground. After that she saw reason and gave up, 

I should have been off to our local Clay Shoot this morning. I was looking forward to it as it is good company for me.

However, I am at present dealing with my second Ant infestation of the summer in my conservatory. Oh the joys of rural Norfolk home! 

Sometimes I get a real urge for a South Coast penthouse with a Channel view.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2021 at 11:59, BroadAmbition said:

It never ceases to surprise me how many 'Mates' I have when they know I have a van and access to a trailer

Griff

BA NBN 1008.jpg

:default_dunce:  Up until recently we have always owned a van of some sort or other and over the years its amazing how many 'mates' have either borrowed them or asked us to collect something, in fact, thinking back they used them more than us.   I bought a used mini tractor which I had to collect from Suffolk. Guess what - van hire charge of £80.  Where are these mates when you need them!?  :facepalm:

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, we have two of our grandkids arriving tomorrow, staying through to Saturday forenoon.

MrsG  was 'On One' earlier this evening spring cleaning in three hours flat at a breakneck pace

Whilst operating our v.expensive anti pet hair Shark vacuum cleaner, she remarked about how she always seems to struggle to use / stow one or two of the clip on tools, then exclaimed how the collection box was full after just hoovering just upstairs (We live in a small hovel)

Ever thinking of my beloved I offered her some generous advice

'If you used that hoover I bought you more often, two things would happen.  1) using the tools / stowing them would soon become second nature.  2)  The collection box would not get full so quickly'

See? Proper generous of me with her best interest at heart

So you know what she said?

'Darling, did anyone see you come into the house earlier this teatime? - Because they won't be seeing you leave it again'    :default_icon_e_surprised:

I took Purdey dog out for a long walk PDQ    :default_coat:

Griff

• Haha 6

Phew, I’m just glad Graham does the ‘Dysoning’ (I call it ‘hoovering’, but for some reason he takes issue with that).

p.s. I’m very impressed with the new Shark we bought as a syndicate for Moonlight Shadow 

• Like 1

Tony does all our vacuuming too. Last Christmas while cleaning debris dropped during putting up decorations something wrapped round the brush of the Dyson and stopped it turning and we couldn't seem to find a way of clearing it. I rang the Dyson help line,accessed on line and spoke to this lovely chap who drew my attention  to a previously unnoticed little button on the top of the head, press it he advised it's a re-set button and it worked! We've only had this Dyson for 17 years and hadn't even know about the existence of this button.

Carole

• Like 1