My Day

LizG

Thursday - I was at Holiday Inn express hotel en-suite replacement floor tiling, final day of two. (And about the thirtieth one I've replaced to date)

In between completing the floor tiling but prior to grouting the same I had booked in Trevor Transit at Kwik fit to get the tracking adjusted as I noticed one front tyre was badly worn on an edge.

After leaving the hotel but prior to arriving at Kwik Fit I had to pop home to pick up a grout additive I had inadvertently not put in the van.  I also new I was getting proper low on Diesel but had planned to fill up on my way home from completing the grouting in the hotel.  That was the plan, I like plans, I'm quite good at making em

Kwik Fit - "Sorry mate, can't track it up with the tyre in that condition, you need new uns".  Fortunately they had a pair in, albeit top range premium boots a tad OTT for Trevor,  after a bit of haggling, two new front tyres fitted.  I wasn't too miffed about this as the tread depth was getting perilously close to the wear limiters anyroadup.  Then the tracking was completed.  It was then I discovered that I had left my wallet at home - Nightmare city.  :default_smiley-angry047:  :facepalm:          I agreed to leave their premises without paying (And it was getting on for £400) but leaving my phone behind as security.  Had to shoot off home (Round trip of around 10 miles) and the van was even lower on fuel now.  Then back to hotel to complete  the grouting.  On leaving Hotel for home via the fuel station the dash display was showing zero miles of fuel left in the tank,  I had about four miles to cover,     :default_icon_e_surprised:

36571670_BANBN1028.thumb.jpg.39c8a311882647a3c908d4008d7d73cc.jpg

I had never had it this low before, never seen the counter stating '0 mls'    I did wonder if the display would go into a minus 1 etc but no it stayed at 0.  We made the fuel station and filled up, 85 x Ltrs :default_icon_e_surprised: Wow, I have never put that much fuel in during a single visit ever, hope I never do so again either

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Aside from the anxiety factor there are a number of reasons why you shouldn't let your tank get so low. The obvious is any sediment being picked up and pushed through to the engine, the less obvious is that modern cars and vans have the fuel pump located in the fuel tank itself. The fuel in the tank actually plays an important part in keeping the pump cool and prolonging the life of the pump. When you run low on fuel, not only is the cooling effect not as good, if the pump starts to suck in air it will run even warmer so a double whammy. Most fuel gauges are calibrated to allow a little leeway to ensure there is sufficient fuel to stop to much air being pumped, but the recommendation is not to go below a quarter of a tank too often.

Modern fuel pumps are ultra reliable because of where they are mounted and how they are cooled, but also a lot more expensive to replace as a result if they fail.

• Thanks 1

I'd rather fill your van than my boat, 570 litres :default_blink: You certainly chose where to fill up carefully when the option is there.

First time I got it down to almost the red sectors on the gauges I started aiming for the nearest fuel stop, then it went much quieter....... Won't rely on the red bit then.

Now have new senders in new tanks that definately go to the bottom of the gauge, first fill was by 20 litre can making sight gauge marks via drain valves each can added, took a while but very handy.

I'd rather fill your van than my boat, 570 litres 

Oh Wow, 126 gallons :default_icon_e_surprised:  you're welcome of course to fill my van anytime you desire :default_norty: very good of you to offer - Fine upstanding gent you are (There's not too many of us about you know)

'B.A's diesel tank holds 35 gallon or 157 Litres and I thought that was a lot !

Griff

On the boat today for two weeks, first problem the engine won’t start new starter motor fitted and we are off.  Through Wroxham bridge only to be flagged down by Malanka they had lost drive. We tied up along side and took them to the 24 hr mooring basin so the had electric while they wait for an engineer. Off up to Coltishall only to find 5 boats moored. Up to the electric point and two free outlets so moored up and plugged in. Dinner in the rising sun now back onboard for a catch up on the Olympics. 

7D1639A2-B5D9-420E-9AFF-983E34A93470.jpeg

• Like 3

I loved the week of beautiful hot summer weather that we had…but, is that it? I want more!

:default_badday:

Mind you, the allotment seems to be thriving. Pumpkin and squash plants are going mad! (I must remember to post a photo.)

I’ve had the last couple of days off work, needing to use up leave before the end of the annual leave year. Plans to go places got put off due to rubbish weather, but I have made progress with my beginner sewing attempts, not without ups and downs, but I’m learning. Finished off a pair of PJs this morning (in preparation for that next November jaunt on Moonlight Shadow). The sleeves ended up far too long, maybe would have made good hand warmers, but I ended up re-doing them. I also made a pair of shorty leggings, a very easy and quick make from a free PDF pattern downloaded from DIBY Club (Do it yourself better), Not for wearing whilst in company though, as the sight of me in leggings isn’t for the feint hearted. To be reserved for summer home wear only!  My best make yet though, no mistakes (!) and very comfortable. They also have a free men’s t-shirt pattern that I’ve downloaded and am planning to make up for son Alec. He chose a t-shirt fabric with a pattern of black cats. Well I did say it was for PJs. :default_huh: 

• Like 1

Mooring I think.. 06:20

A very poor night's sleep someone has been playing rave music all night, from HSC it appears to be coming from the general direction of Bewilderwood. But I doubt it's them.. it went a bit quieter at 03:57, but it's still going...

I've already had SSS and from the noises in the ladies facilities someone is doing the something in there.. ( the floors here are very noisy with footsteps)

I'm now sat in HSC clubhouse waiting for the tea Urn to warm up.... Ah the boiling sound has stopped.

Muggacoffee is now sat beside me.. one advantage of being on duty, free coffee for the duration.

Yesterdays start of regatta week went well, a reasonable turn out for the first day with a forecast of showers, which did occur though none were heavy till after racing. Good sailing for the first race but during the second it slowed to a drift for a while..

I helped put the buoys out yesterday , and put the major regatta ahead signs out on the river. As we're on the broad again today, we've left the bouys out overnight.. no one to rescue so far.

At 07:00 I'll go start getting the rescue boats ready, throwing line. Tow rope , boat hook, first aid hit, fire extinguisher, paddle, bailer, then top up the fuel tanks and install those.

08:00 flags up, no canon fire till Monday.

Time for muggacoffee no2, bacon rolls later when the galley slaves arrive..

• Like 3

13 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Coltishall looks quiet. Did you just arrive at an opportune moment?

We didn’t pass another boat all the way from Wroxham and it’s still very quiet this morning. Not sure where every one is. Barnes was very full as we passed which we thought strange for a Saturday as changeover is normally Thursday or Friday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Two grandchildren collected and taken home after 5 days of SUP intro course, beach, fishing and general excessive energy.

IMG_20210731_135852.thumb.jpg.ae1744b4d6691bc56cb9bcc5ae543bf5.jpg

Now for a G and T in the calm.

IMG_20210801_204648.thumb.jpg.6273220f224646d1caef89f9091e67b6.jpg

Ok, I'll admit it: SUP's do have a use - wearing out Grandchildren. I'd better order 7 then. :default_jumelles:

Must seem quiet now.

Evening Awl, 

Another day playing border collie to lots of floating grockles.. only had to shout at 2, one decided a good time to overtake was while the Keelboats were rounding a buoy, another who thought that a huge bow wave was 4mph. Generally most were well behaved. 

Did shout a couple of words to Maurice on NYX , it's not green yet I note.. and to another couple of words to an NBN flag wearer.

A picture of how to terrify tourists.. fill the river with sailing boats..

IMG_20210803_141400_1.jpg

• Like 1

Mooring all,

A couple of piccys 05:10 a misty morning @ Horning..

Up river..

IMG_20210804_052639_1.thumb.jpg.259f28d4e6a542d63f7578a43b0c1e93.jpg

Down river.

IMG_20210804_052644_1.thumb.jpg.ee75558e9c3184a23104189bae32b506.jpg

It's now 06:30, I've been out with the big brush sweeping of the presents left by the geese from the deck, before it dries in the sun.. Muggacoffee number 2 is in progress, before starting getting the rescue boats at 07:00.

Canon at 08:00 hopefully no misfire this morning, then buoys out time..

• Like 4

08:00 flags up as the cannon fired
Then go out putting the buoys out.

Today's programme.

Races are about an hour long.
08:00 put the buoys out.
08:45 ish return to the club house for bacon butties and a muggacoffee.

09:15 out on the river for the first start,
09:25 Allcomers B dinghies 12 ft to 17.5 ft
09:30 Allcomers C experienced dinghy sailors in boats up to 12ft long
09:30 Allcomers C beginners in boats up to 12ft.

10:30 the bigger boats come out 6 starts at 5 minute intervals.
12:45 the really big boats come out , up to 45ft long for a 2hour race.

13:45 4 starts with bigger fleets as some of the above are combined.

15:15 6 starts.

16:15 the big yachts are out again for a 1.5 hour race.

17:00 a special juniors only race.
17:05 serviceman's and Ex serviceman's trophy.

18:00 I collect all the buoys
18:45 start putting the rescue boats back to bed.

It's 07:05 time to get those rescue boats ready.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1