My Day

LizG

After black Monday a dishwasher repair man came today and pronounced the death sentence on our trusty Bosch dishwasher (  I think he was a bit late It had already  committed suicide)  I think I'll complain to Bosch - it was only 17 years old what a swizz! We also found out that the dealership had been  due to ring us because of a call back on the car. The auto fan belt adjusters are giving problems apparently but the car beat them to it. It'll be gone for a while. The loan car arrives tomorrow

Carole

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

We have antibacterial wipes in the car for use on shopping trolleys and hand sanitiser for use after shopping. I also carry sanitiser in my handbag and sometimes that gets used on a trolley too! If these things can help ward off colds and flu then why not?

Why not indeed. Prevention beats cure any day.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, just sometimes one has a day from hell where if sommat can go wrong it will do.  I've just experienced five days where things could have been somewhat better than they have been

Well, I reckon I have either killed a Robin, black cat, smashed a mirror or walked under a ladder

1) Wednesday - Spitfire flight - Disaster

2) Saturday - Gearbox not back with us for 'B.A' as it should have been

3) Sunday afternoon - My office shredder sounded a 'Pop' then emitted wisps of smoke

4) Sunday early evening - I get word from Monday mornings client (Commencing today - A full five day job booked in for months) that her plumber has let her down badly therefore the job is cancelled indefinitely - A full weeks work lost in a five minute phone call

Just what is going on? If I knew a rude word, now would be the time to use it

Still, could be worse I suppose, the sun is shining this morning, I can shortly get into my work diary and hopefully bring a client or two forward which will make someone very happy.  I can take Purdey for a walk.  I had intended to take Purdey on her second game shoot this coming Saturday, just for training, me - not shooting but it looked like I had lost that with now having to go back down to Norfolk to hopefully refit the gearbox, now I may have the opportunity to get it done before Saturday, assuming I can get someone to give me a hand as it is proper heavy

Onwards and Upwards then

Griff

• Like 1

Crikey Griff!! :default_icon_eek: I'd be grabbing the gin bottle if I'd experienced what you've just described :default_laugh: Hopefully, something good will come out of all what you've experienced and you can stick a finger up to adversity!!  Hope this week proves to be better for you!

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday we went to see how the boat was coming along at Wroxham Marine (Sheerline) and were delighted  with the progress made.  Her name had been applied so she is now officially Hi-Jinks.  Hull compounded and polished , Bow thruster fitted,  stern thruster fitted, remote control for these fitted,  Inverter fitted, sun damaged  areas of woodwork restored to its former glory and the whole inside of the boat thoroughly cleaned.  All that's left to do is a timer to be  fitted to the central heating system.  In short she looked  superb. We were thrillled. They really went the extra mile. As they always do. A new canopy has been organised and will be fitted sometime during the winter months. We can't wait for Spring!

Carole

• Like 2

Yesterday we went to see how the boat was coming along at Wroxham Marine (Sheerline) and were delighted  with the progress made.  Her name had been applied so she is  now officially Hi-Jinks.  Hull compounded and polished , Bow thruster fitted, stern thruster fitted, Inverter fitted, sun damaged  areas ofwoodwork restored to its former glory and the whole inside of the boat thoroughly cleaned.  All that's left to do is a timer to be  fitted to the central heating system.  In short she looked  superb. We were thrillled. They really went the extra mile. As they always do. a new canopy has been organised and will be fitted sometime during the winter months. We can't wait for Spring!

6 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Should be superb Carole but I would like the bill for that lot 😂

John

You really wouldn't - but if you insist......

Carole

• Haha 2

Forty five years ago today. An extremely good looking young man of just 16 years and nearly 2 months old arrived at the main gates of HMS Raleigh. That was the start of my Royal Naval career. Twenty four years and twelve days before they retired me. Without doubt the best years of my life

Griff

• Like 5

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Yesterday we went to see how the boat was coming along at Wroxham Marine (Sheerline) and were delighted  with the progress made.  Her name had been applied so she is now officially Hi-Jinks.  Hull compounded and polished , Bow thruster fitted,  stern thruster fitted, remote control for these fitted,  Inverter fitted, sun damaged  areas of woodwork restored to its former glory and the whole inside of the boat thoroughly cleaned.  All that's left to do is a timer to be  fitted to the central heating system.  In short she looked  superb. We were thrillled. They really went the extra mile. As they always do. A new canopy has been organised and will be fitted sometime during the winter months. We can't wait for Spring!

Carole

So no longer a French Fancy, then? 😁

42 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Forty five years ago today. An extremely good looking young man of just 16 years and nearly 2 months old arrived at the main gates of HMS Raleigh. That was the start of my Royal Naval career. Twenty four years and twelve days before they retired me. Without doubt the best years of my life

Griff

Dear Charlie I will pass your words of wisdom (apart from the extremely good looking young man bit as we know that’s exagerating a little) on to son no 1 who is on the QE carrier in Singapore not allowed off the ship once again with some extremely fed up ships crew

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I believe HMS Raleigh is what they classify as a Stone Frigate :default_stinky:

And your service days are a credit to you !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I see you went to the Royal Navy 'Light' training establishment. Ex Ganges myself proper trained.

Just joshing, we all had our self esteem, dignity and teenage attitude removed in much the same way, and hopefully we still hold some of the values instilled in us at these establishments today.

Congrats.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

1 hour ago, Lastdraft said:

I see you went to the Royal Navy 'Light' training establishment. Ex Ganges myself proper trained.

Just joshing, we all had our self esteem, dignity and teenage attitude removed in much the same way, and hopefully we still hold some of the values instilled in us at these establishments today.

Congrats.

I can remember as a 13 year old, I went on a trip arranged by my school to HMS Raleigh and HMS Vernon over a 4 day period. The trip also included a tour of the RN medical museum in Portsmouth? All sorts of things preserved in formalin jars!! Anyway, couldn’t have impressed me as 5 years later I joined the army and 23 years and 6 months later I retired! (Would have served longer, on the Long Service List but Options for Change put the mockers on that)! I agree, the best years of my life!

Chris

• Like 2

Whilst I'm not able to make the proud claim of actually serving in the Armed Forces myself (although my father served in the RAF for his National Service), I am proud that I was in my school Combined Cadet Force (RAF Section) for 4 years, reaching the (lowly) rank of Corporal.

It was very challenging and enjoyable, at least in hindsight, and taught me a lot about leadership, weapons (I was a marksman on the Lee Enfield .303 :default_2gunsfiring_v1:) and of course a great respect for those that serve in the Forces.

I guess my time in the Cadets did lead me to start my career off in Defence Electronics, working on radar systems used by all three of the Services.

• Like 2

I went to naval college at Pangbourne at 13 yrs and would have gone from there to the Navy but I failed the eyesight test on colour vision.  Later, at age 23, I found that you could still go to sea if you joined the Army in the Royal Corps of Transport!

2112058109_DUKWs2.thumb.jpeg.c28956a0cbfe850e80006d1f1d9726bd.jpeg

This is "A" troop, 18 Amphibian Squadron RCT, about to depart Southampton on a 3 month NATO exercise in the Med, on RFA Sir Lancelot.  That's me, on the left.  We were all drivers and mechanics of DUKWs, the famous amphibian army trucks.

We were the last troop of DUKWs in the British Army and were finally disbanded in the military port at Marchwood, by Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

1126442057_DUKWs1.thumb.jpeg.2a05874d979e56667e8200253b210a75.jpeg

Notice the spit and polished "wellies" with white sea socks turned down, which were only ever worn on parade by the crews of DUKWs.

When I spoke to the Admiral later, he remembered my father, who had served under him in the Arakan campaign in Burma, in 1945.

I too, could have extended my commission and stayed in the Army but I was tempted by a "good" job offer managing a boatyard in Norfolk. Should I have left?  I often wonder, but I suppose you can't look back and say "what if?"

To anyone with a son or daughter who wants to serve in the Forces, I would say - do it!  It teaches you so many things, mostly about yourself, that will always "set you up" for whatever else you do in life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 years RAF then medically down graded and given the order of the boot, because I am allergic to anaethetics..

Dad 9 years then medically down graded with back injury and booted out..

Granddad, 1919 to 1953, RSM since 1942,  Royal Tank Regiment..

Meanwhile Snowflakes sailing season Starts at Horning this Sunday .. with this coming up in a couple of weeks..

image.png.1acc9f6f610dc73b413e658768d4f12d.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday - not the best day I've had by a long chalk. Had to attend hospital for a  pre op' assessment. Well, I knew what I was there for which was just as well because nobody else seemed to be as well informed! On registering my dismay I was assurred that that the section of the hospital that will be dealing with my surgery is infinitely better  orgaanised than the general  building.  Oh I do hope so .  even worse,  no wine! not until next Tuesday! Now that's downright unfair.  That,  together with 6 weeks of wearing compression stockings  - not to be  remotely confused with suspenders and fishnets promises no fun on my horizon.  Having had a covid swab yesterday and  as a result having to isolate till my 'op on Monday I'll have to cancel all thoughts of going out to a disco tonight too.

Carole

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Yesterday - not the best day I've had by a long chalk. Had to attend hospital for a  pre op' assessment. Well, I knew what I was there for which was just as well because nobody else seemed to be as well informed! On registering my dismay I was assurred that that the section of the hospital that will be dealing with my surgery is infinitely better  orgaanised than the general  building.  Oh I do hope so .  even worse,  no wine! not until next Tuesday! Now that's downright unfair.  That,  together with 6 weeks of wearing compression stockings  - not to be  remotely confused with suspenders and fishnets promises no fun on my horizon.  Having had a covid swab yesterday and  as a result having to isolate till my 'op on Monday I'll have to cancel all thoughts of going out to a disco tonight too.

Carole

Oh how I love (not) the compression stockings. I’ve had them on for the past three days as a very nice man gave me a new knee on Thursday. Luckily I don’t have to continue wearing them now I am home. (I have quite a collection of them already - white and an awful dark green colour!) Like you, I had a Covid swab and had to isolate after. Not very pleasant those swabs are they!!!

Good luck for Monday Carole, concentrate on that glass (or two) of wine that will be waiting 🍷

• Thanks 1

Thanks and good luck breaking in the new knee - not literally! I had a new hip  few years ago and that turned out fine but I'm told a new knee is a bit more of a challenge. A well meaning osteopath told me that there's a good chance that  I'll need one of those too at some future time.  I'm  hoping to avoid that. I didn't mind the covid swab as the girl administering it was such good fun.  Pointing out that as they used the  same swab for both the throat and nostrils what a good job it was that she did the throat first!. By the time we came out we we were both in stitches!

Carole

• Like 1