My Day

LizG

4 hours ago, Ray said:

Winterton on Sea, we retired here 5 years ago and love it! Only 15 minutes away from our boat at Potter too win/win 🙂

I've always thought that Winterton looks like a lovely village. The inside church is lovely too. I loved the plaques in it related to the lifeboat's missions and the memorial to the vicar (?) who lost his life trying to save a young lad from drowning. 

• Like 1

My walk today was Sheringham Park.

I was really about ten days too late, the Rhododendron were beginning to go over the top or had finished. But still very colourful.

20220527_135616.thumb.jpg.72269052f6ec2ad98578a4ccee9e77bb.jpg

20220527_135028.thumb.jpg.6ffc68d089cb78366e75bf306e0b84b1.jpg

20220527_135234.thumb.jpg.7246ac2b585f9d9b4f1f1c6b0821c423.jpg

• Like 6

Stopped for a coffee. 130km to go. GriffTile van having been ‘cruising’ at over 100mph for mile after mile quite happily. MrsG not so impressed though 😄

Every time we see a speed limit sign of 130 - I’m telling her that’s a recommended minimum :default_norty:

• Haha 3

Yesterday took the lady of the house off to a couple of tile outlets. Purchased 34m2 of porcelain floor tiles, adhesive/grout. 700kgs on t van. I managed to secure a 15% trade discount too!

Today I commence tiling. 24c forecast it’s a great morning. View of their garden 

Griff

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Strangest thing happened today. I went to the boat with two "10 minute jobs" to do.... and each one took about 10 minutes!

Never seen anything like it!

Your not the first! MauriceMynah often goes to his boat planning to spend 10 mins cleaning it, and it often takes less time :default_rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On our way back to Rotterdam

Stopped for a coffee break. 150 miles done. 30c which is unusual but not unheard of for the GriffTile van. What is unusual is we topped 110mph on an unrestricted area of the autobahn, and even more ridiculous was cruise control set at 100mph. MrsG not best chuffed with that!

• Like 3

I know a lot of people take the opportunity to ‘go for it’ on the autobahns. We have never done so, for the simple reason that the summer after we graduated one of my Uni friends died as a result of an accident on the autobahn. She went to Germany to work as an au pair. She loved the little boy she was looking after and his family, and they took her along with them for their summer holiday. Unfortunately, the had a tire blow-out on the way and she and the little boy died.

It’s something that has stayed with me, particularly as we all felt on a high leaving Uni, with (as we thought) the rest of our lives before us. 

• Sad 6

17 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

with (as we thought) the rest of our lives before us. 

It always is - just might be rather short.

Its an urban myth that German Autobahnen have no speed limits.   What is true is that some sections of German Autobahnen have no speed limits.

The section of the A23 Autobahn (5 minutes from where I live) starts with a 120 kmh limit in the direction of Hamburg & this rapidly reduces to 100 kmh.

15 to 20 years ago whilst working for a global computer manufacturer I often had to drive between home &  Ratingen (near Dusseldorf) and on suitable sections did touch 150 kmh (the company diesel Passat was a kilometer-eater).  But nowadays driving my own car I usually do not exceed 120 kmh - above that it really drinks fuel (sadly not a diesel).

ah what a weekend, so friday I got a call from my 89 year old dad, he had a pre appointment saturday morning for his cataract operation,  I arrived at his house for 9.30am (for his 10.15 appointment) this appointment took 1 1/2 hours (me sitting in the car park) in all with travel a 4 hour process for me. when he came out he informed me his operation would be at 9.45 this morning and could he have a lift. this was supposed to be a quicker appointment as he had been given drops to take in the hour prior to the appointment. I arrived at 9am to find my mother struggling to give him his eye drops as she couldnt reach properly, and couldnt see when a drop came out of the tiny dripper. he had one more set of drops 5 minutes after this, which I applied by asking him to lean against the back cushion on his chair, while I stood behind the chair and administered the drops.

we then headed for the surgery where the cataract operation was to take place. once again I had an hour and a half wait in the car park before my dad turned up again with an eye shield and nurse in tow (he couldnt see where he was going without his glasses (he has worn them since the age of 7)) apparently the long delay had been caused by a fire alarm going off and nobody being able to stop it.

got him home at last and sat in his chair, and what fun when he realised that he couldnt read his tablet, of course he tried, sitting there with the tablet in front of him and a magnifying glass, while me and my mum said just leave it until tomorrow, when he would be allowed to wear his glasses. (just another 4 hours this morning)

plus of course we have all the same fun to go through in 6 weeks or so when they come to do the other eye. 

• Like 8

ah now mum is 91, so as dad was out of action, i have been getting things off the high shelves for her, she had a list of what she might need before my sister calls round to help (my sister is 5 minutes walk along the same road)

• Like 1

i suppose i ought to explain, my sister and her husband dont drive, they have taken over the garden and my sister will run the odd errand (shopping etc), so I just do a monthly heavy shopping trip, and running them around as necessary, is my side of the deal. we both do what we can t assist.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, grendel said:

plus of course we have all the same fun to go through in 6 weeks or so when they come to do the other eye. 

This reminds me of something we have just gone through with my 91 year old Mother in law: her hearing has been deteriorating (the TV was deafening to most of us!) so it was decided we would apply drops. The recipient usually has a bit of crackling in the ears but eventually it should clear. She went completely deaf for two days. Lesson learned: do one ear at a time. There has been an improvement though; we can now hold a conversation in the same room as the TV. :default_biggrin:

In our case there are 4 siblings to share the work and our days are Mondays and Fridays.

• Like 1