My Day

LizG

4 hours ago, floydraser said:

her hearing has been deteriorating (the TV was deafening to most of us!)

That’s something me and Graham empathise with. Graham tried ordering some gadget that was supposed to boost the sound of the TV to my Mam’s hearing aids. Didn’t really help though. At least my Mam didn’t object to subtitles. When his Dad lived with us last year the TV was a lot more problematic. He doesn’t like wearing his hearing aids nor using subtitles, so Graham and effectively abandoned our lounge and spent a lot of time in our dining room. At least we had an alternative, which people in smaller homes don’t have.

Talking about hearing problems…I  just recalled a story my mother told me. She and her parents shared a small terraced home with her grandparents. In the 1950s her grandad was in his 80s. My Nain (Gran) saw an advert in a newspaper for a hearing aid, and ordered it for her father. She was completely disgusted when it arrived to find it was one of those Victorian era ear trumpets. Maybe that’s where my sceptical attitude towards adverts comes from. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That’s something me and Graham empathise with. Graham tried ordering some gadget that was supposed to boost the sound of the TV to my Mam’s hearing aids. Didn’t really help though. At least my Mam didn’t object to subtitles. When his Dad lived with us last year the TV was a lot more problematic. He doesn’t like wearing his hearing aids nor using subtitles, so Graham and effectively abandoned our lounge and spent a lot of time in our dining room. At least we had an alternative, which people in smaller homes don’t have.

I guess it's something that comes to all of us and we try not to be too serious about it. When Father in law was alive the TV was quieter, still loud but he had the subtitles on all the time. Mother in law used to shake her head and say, "His hearing's getting worse". Since he passed 18 months ago she has the volume louder but no subtitles!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bit worrying, this talk of elderly folk and subtitles. My 29yr old son likes the subtitles on when watching tv - is it because he can’t be bothered to listen properly or is his hearing bad? He is a professional trombonist so I fear it might be the latter. He assures me he does where custom- made earplugs at work. 

Last Wednesday having finished all the treatments scheduled we finally found ourselves free to make plans and finally could  stay for more than the odd night on our recently acquired boat Hi-Jinks.Could n't go before .Saturday morning because of a street party organised by our neighbours on Friday.So we arrived about midday and are staying till Monday 13th,  bliss. Yesterday we did our first trip purely for pleasure which was a little trip to Brammerton. The weather was lovely we got there late morning. Enjoyed a nice cold beer, read the papers bought  earlier and enjoyed a nice leisurely lunch of  charcuterie and salad. Helped a hire boat to come in   behind and had a nice chat with the crew then set off back to our mooring driving about 5.30pm. Woke up this morning to hammering rain. So decided to take the opportunity to stock up the galley. We have to shop fairly regularly as the fridge is a bit smaller than we were used to. The rest of the week is stretching before us during which we hope to make many other little trips. Next thing is to plan a trip to the North which will take a lot less planning than on our previous boat

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Lulu said:

So happy for you Carole. Let me know when you are coming North and hopefully we can meet up 

Of course I'll let you know, you're due a big hug for all the support you',ve given during the last few months. Not to mention the huge glass of wine I can't wait to pour you!

Carole x

• Like 2

Today we went to Brooms for fuel and pump out. After this Tony had to go and lie down in a darkened room for a little while  to recover from the bill!  We then cruised  just past Beauchamps Arms before turning round and returning back to the mooring for lunch.

Carole

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I'm not surprised. Brooms fuel prices are extortionate. One of the reasons why we're glad we've moved north.

Helen if you had not moved to the Northern Rivers syndicate boats were not part of Brooms plans, I believe none our now moored at Brooms and there are roomers that that all of the service road moorings at one side of the Yare are to be moorings for hire boats visiting the Yare when it is finished.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Helen if you had not moved to the Northern Rivers syndicate boats were not part of Brooms plans, I believe none our now moored at Brooms and there are roomers that that all of the service road moorings at one side of the Yare are to be moorings for hire boats visiting the Yare when it is finished.

I suppose that would make sense if they want hirers to visit the refurbished and renamed pub.

When we left Brooms last month, Lightening (Thunder's sister boat) was still moored at Brooms. I don't think there's been any mention of them leaving yet...well I haven't heard anything anyway. 

I've no idea whether Brooms completely gave up on the idea of the houseboats or not. Someone here said they'd been turned down for planning permission, although one houseboat has appeared there. Didn't see anyone use it during our weeks on MS though.

I suppose i can be glad that my new v50 only has a 55 litre tank (never managed to fit much more than 35 litres into it from near empty on the gauge), the only issue is that even at 50mpg, thats only just over 500 miles range, and by then the gauge is reading worryingly low.

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Helen if you had not moved to the Northern Rivers syndicate boats were not part of Brooms plans, I believe none our now moored at Brooms . . . . . . . . 

Lightning is still berthed there, but that is the only one.  Oops, just seen Helen’s earlier reply.

56 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I suppose that would make sense if they want hirers to visit the refurbished and renamed pub.

When we left Brooms last month, Lightening (Thunder's sister boat) was still moored at Brooms. I don't think there's been any mention of them leaving yet...well I haven't heard anything anyway. 

I've no idea whether Brooms completely gave up on the idea of the houseboats or not. Someone here said they'd been turned down for planning permission, although one houseboat has appeared there. Didn't see anyone use it during our weeks on MS though.

Broom have ‘Waterlodges’ on their website:

https://www.broomboats.com/waterlodges/#listings

As they’re not listed for hire, I’m guessing that they’re either building them or agents for their sale.  They did submit a planning application for some to be moored/berthed (whatever the appropriate term is for a houseboat) at their yard, but I saw on a Parish notice on the notice board outside the Brundall Chippy, that they’d withdrawn the application.

We’ll that’s confusing. I wonder if they’ve just been slow updating their website or whether they are appealing against the decision.

They do seem to be trying to make the boatyard a venue for locals to visit with a number of events planned over the summer, including open air cinema. I assumed it was open air anyway…suppose it might be in a shed. :default_coat: