My Day

LizG

33 minutes ago, grendel said:

faversham brewery is shepherd neame (well it was last time I looked - Home of spitfire beer.

Peter. The main existing one is SN,  you are correct, although we used to have a nickname for it. I think they also have a micro brewery as well in the area. The Whitbread one was across the road.

42 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That’s about the most brilliant cake I have ever seen! (Envy those who tasted it!)

Giggle...Love the way this thread is flipping between snow beast and wedding & cake!

Helen

And a serious p**s up in a serious Brewery. On the brewery tour they said they brew some beers under a different name

• Haha 1

I discovered on my way om this evening that the tyres on the 'GriffTile' van are very nearly 100% useless when driving on only about 2" of compacted snow on tarmac.  It's my own fault as I have not put on winter tyres this year but even so, Holy Moly I didn't think they would be this bad.  So, the covering of snow we have (And it ain't much) will be here in the morning with no doubt another odd 1" on top.  The van can stay in the drive and I will be using my GC Jeep.  Job location is a village with no main trunk road going to/from it and I doubt the van would make it safely

Griff

• Like 3

My day has just started walking my youngest lab, she went bananas in the snow, it's up to her stomach. Norfolk has disappeared in a blanket of white. Visibility about fifty yards at the moment. Met office upped east Norfolk to Amber warning until about midday.

Great, there is now around 3" lying this morning and it has started snowing a good un about 20 mins ago with no signs of any breaks in the cloud.  If this keeps up I will end up going up in t loft and getting out my Langlauf gear (Still have all the kit from when we lived in Norway)

Griff

If its any consolation we had minus 12.5 C this morning (to the North-West of Hamburg).
Not much snow (about 1") but nearby there has been considerably more.

I have to take the train to the South-West corner of the country tomorrow (Black Forrest area).  Could be interesting.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Great, there is now around 3" lying this morning and it has started snowing a good un about 20 mins ago with no signs of any breaks in the cloud.  If this keeps up I will end up going up in t loft and getting out my Langlauf gear (Still have all the kit from when we lived in Norway)

Griff

Hi Griff,

You know as well as me that all we have had is a slight dusting in our area, we have been lucky over the last few month and have had less snow than other area's. 

It only takes about an inch of snow in the center of Sheffield to stop all traffic leaving the city due to snow on all of the hills.

It is a case of having winter tyres, grips or chains and a spade in the boot, I have always got home in the snow, it can be case of planning a route and avoiding other drivers that are clueless in driving in the snow.

Regards

Alan

Well I've driven in from the Coast of Norfolk to work in Norwich, I didn't see any tarmac, overtaking BMWs with their wide wheel spinning on a slight slope is most satisfying. I was driving my 34year old LandRover 110 (which has additional limited slip differentials)at 20 to 30 mph, more to the point on All terrain Mud and Snow rated tyres..

They did send a plough on the front of a tractor down my road last night.... not to clear snow just to clear the mud, they were dragging sugar beet out of the mud till 21:00 last night...

According to the radio South / South west of Norwich is basically a No go

Ohhh we are waiting for it to arrive here, just a light dusting at present.

Our daughter in Kent face time called to show the winter wonderland outside their house, and is working from home, there is no prospect of getting the trains in and out of London  today in any reliable way.

If only Vaughan - ICE - a boat stopper even the thin stuff, well it is for us woodies

Jeep - Flat battery - Now running and warming up, gear transferred over from van (Well just as much as I need)

What I really need is a spare set of rims with dedicated winter snow /ice tyres on them ready for the van each winter but that is a lot of expense not to mention the faffing around, and how many winters would I need them? - They would probably perish / degrade before they got worn out.   So having the jeep as a back up is the way to go for me.

Griff

• Like 1

err I did

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have just been thinking - the navigations of the Broads are the only thing to remain open in this weather. No ploughing, no gritting, no wheel spinning and no pre-ordained timetable cancellations.

Just scrape it off the windscreen and away you go!

:default_stinky:

Err I did notice the snow lying on the river at Wayford bridge so not all the rivers are open,  as sections of the Ant are iced up...

Well my day started well, a slow 40mph drive up the M2 this morning, only to find holdups at the tunnel (a lorry had jackknifed across 4 lanes, so they were taking everything up the slip road, round the roundabout and back on. as I joined the back of the queue, they cleared it, so a further half hour and I was through - arrived at the office to find it shut and deserted. went to our depot across the road to find the manager had sent an email out shutting the office for the day, picked up the spare keys and found the email myself once i had logged on (most people that have work mobiles receive their emails on them as well). there are actually 4 of us in now, but we will probably pack up and head for home at lunch time. there is a light shower of snow at the moment.

Temperatures well -110C when I left home, -140C at gravesend on the M2 -60C outside the office, warmest spot 00C halfway through the dartford tunnel

Not much snow in Warwick, just a covering although pretty cold.  I'm suffering from man flu with the addition of an ear infection - in both ears !!  So working from home for a few days with the benefit of an excuse to ignore the wife as I struggle to hear her !  Pretty sure my hearing will improve when she announces the banana muffins she is baking are ready though :357_banana: !!

If more snow appears today or tomorrow I'll wander down to the canal and take some boaty photos of it iced over.

In the meantime it's time for some more antibiotics, they are the size of torpedoes and I'm not sure if I need to swallow them or hammer them into my ears !!