My Day

LizG

Yesterday didn't go exactly to plan. We were on our way to spend the day with the family in North London and as we were pulling into Sainsbury's fuel station on the A10 Enfield, the car started to make a loud noise. Cutting a long story short it was a repeat of a problem we had last year with the automatic  tensioner on the fan belt. We got to our daughter's and phoned Kia in Ely who look after the car. Their instructions were to get the car road hauled back to them for attention and to not drive it any further. Top marks to Qdos our roadside recovery people. Within an hour we were on our way in an air conditioned moderrn recovery truck with our car safely loaded on the back.  We were back in Ely by mid-afternoon and today finds  us awaiting the verdict on how long it will take to fix . If it's not back today they will send a hire car. Such good service softens the inconveniance of an incident such as this.

Carole

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, addicted said:

Yesterday didn't go exactly to plan. We were on our way to spend the day with the family in North London and as we were pulling into Sainsbury's fuel station on the A10 Enfield, the car started to make a loud noise. Cutting a long story short it was a repeat of a problem we had last year with the automatic  tensioner on the fan belt. We got to our daughter's and phoned Kia in Ely who look after the car. Their instructions were to get the car road hauled back to them for attention and to not drive it any further. Top marks to Qdos our roadside recovery people. Within an hour we were on our way in an air conditioned moderrn recovery truck with our car safely loaded on the back.  We were back in Ely by mid-afternoon and today finds  us awaiting the verdict on how long it will take to fix . If it's not back today they will send a hire car. Such good service softens the inconveniance of an incident such as this.

Carole

Welcome to the joys of motoring.

• Sad 1

I have never owned one, but have only heard good things about Kia and their 7 year warranty.

A couple in the village had an old style Sportage, probably the second shape imported and it had a new gearbox, gratis, right up to the wire on it's 7 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi all at least you got home safely in a comfy Air Condition in the recovery of your on your piggyback to your home town. Now the next bit on how much the Garage bill gonna be?

Nothing at all it's a Kia - 7 year warranty and it's just 2 years old. Just heard the car will be delivered back to us tomorrow. This is the 2nd Sportage we've had. The first gave us no problems at all for 8 years- hence we bought another. The problem with the fan belt tensioner comes from,  I'm guessing, the fact that it's a mild Hybrid. Apparently they have been  a bit problematical but they say this is the first one they 've had go wrong a 2nd time.

Carole

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I have never owned one, but have only heard good things about Kia and their 7 year warranty.

A couple in the village had an old style Sportage, probably the second shape imported and it had a new gearbox, gratis, right up to the wire on it's 7 years.

The wife is now on her second Kia.  The first, a ProCeed (good car, crass name) was a Kia Approved used car when we bought it at a year old.  Because of that, they renewed the seven year warranty from the date we purchased it and we kept it for six years.  In that time, we had the front daylight running lamps replaced as they’d gone dim, under warranty and it was regularly serviced.  It was an excellent little car.

As the wife has to travel from home to Towcester once a week for work (she works from home the other four), we thought it wise to get a four wheel drive, so just over a year ago we bought a one year old Sportage, high output petrol with 4wd and a 7 speed dual clutch auto box.  It’s a great car, quiet and smooth to drive, well equipped and well finished.

Along with Hyundai, their sister company, they’ve come a long way from their early offerings.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ray said:

Well someone has to step up for the tough jobs 😂

Yep, indeed!  I forced myself out of bed this morning to take a few photos.  Langley Dyke at 06:15.

B261218A-0315-4689-9A9E-4EB7A603AD6B.thumb.jpeg.73d0c2b9c2ee3a5b6d745ea6b88bf10f.jpeg

With the threat of ever increasing fuel costs, drought, hosepipe bans (which I’m sure will be well received in parts of the country that were flooded not so long ago) and the effects to the economy some geezer called Pootin is causing, it’s times like these that remind you that life’s not so bad really!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

You know, sometimes something happens to just make you smile.  There we were, moored at Pyes Mill, facing back up The Chet having moored into the rising tide.  There was a hired bathtub moored further along, near the bend by the car park.  We heard the engine start and one of the crew (a lady), untied the ropes and the helm attempted to leave the moorings, dragging the stern along the bank and not getting away.  After trying for a few yards, the lady jumped off the boat, stood on the bank and pushed the stern off.  The helm immediately opened the throttle and set off, leaving the lady standing on the bank with her hands on her hips.

I don’t know how far the boat would have gone on the open river, but about five minutes later it returned to pick the crew member back up. The helm brought the boat alongside carefully and the lady stepped back on board, only for the helm to try to leave the moorings again, dragging the stern along the bank for several yards.

The same lady climbed back out of the boat to push it off again but fortunately remembered to get back on after she’d pushed it off!

I don’t know what made me smile more, the event itself or imagining the conversation as they headed back up the river!  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Our six-year-old grandson was stung by a weever fish yesterday at Barmouth. Extremely painful. 111 wasn't much help so my son rang 999 and spoke to the coastguard who told him how to treat it - foot in very hot water for an hour or so, remove any spines with tweezers and then clean the area with soapy water. Do not cover the wound.

According to the press there seems to be a lot more of these fish around this year and as they bury themselves in the sand at the water's edge they are in the perfect place for paddling youngsters to tread on them.

All six of our grandchildren won't be paddling unless wearing their Jellies when they come with us to Skegness in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Very painful for the little lad - having been stung by a jelly fish I know these things aren't pleasant. 

This is why I always wear water shoes or dive booties whenever I go in the water, notwithstanding any sharp stones, shells etc  

Just remind him how brave he is, try and make light of it rather than making him  more afraid, and don't let it put him off going back in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

A very good day not sure how much was raised. It was busy,hopefully they raised  a good amount. 

Well done Ian

6 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

A very good day not sure how much was raised. It was busy,hopefully they raised  a good amount.