My Day

LizG

The screed was actually a self levelling compound, there are a few reasons why it would fail. Bad mixing, Not cleaning the concrete of dust, applying outside temperature parameters, not priming / wetting if that particular levelling system needed it, green concrete etc etc

I didn't have enough rubble buckets on the van so had to go home to get some more.  I filled 11 of them, then had to go dispose of that lot. Pick up two stop ends as they had not taken out the pedestal / sink for in the w/c as they said it was glued to the wall tiles - it wasn't, it was silicone so had to deal with that too.  By the time I had cleaned everywhere up etc it was 1630.  I should have been laying tiles from the off first thing this morning.  I then got set too planning out.  By 1830 - 'My 'Ed urts' and I called it a day, All 14 x Hrs of it.  There are 14 edges to consider in just one dimension on that blasted floor, It would have been a darn site easier if the tiles were a sort-of standard size but oh no, they are 195mm wide plus a 3mm grout line (And 1200 long).  If the skirting had not been present that would have helped too.  I think I did get it before I departed, there are more chalk lines and pencil marks down than Clapham junction.  I will check it again tomorrow then at last start laying tiles.  A full day behind.  That's Pretty Flowered the work diary at the very start of a week, working Saturday again here I come.

Griff

BA NBN 525.JPG

BA NBN 526.JPG

• Sad 1

I used to get the right hump when my guys turned up and the agreed prep works weren't done,  they are always advised what must be done and what we will charge if we have to either do the prep or abandon the day and how long they will have to wait until we can reschedule the work.

It never ceases to amaze me how some customers insist on start and completion dates but do nothing to help meet them

Since we have put it in bold print on the acceptance forms that they have to sign to book the work we have not had a problem.

A deposit that we can charge delay costs to also focuses the mind.

• Like 1

Cracked on far better today, confirmed my planning out and having discussed with the client over the phone it was all systems go. (I'm home alone in this property).  Got about 11 x m2 down including some awkward cuts, that included a trip to my suppliers in Donny for some more adhesive / grout and a rushed sarnie.  Still doubtful I will get it finished tomorrow but fortunately the client booked for Thursday / Friday has kindly agreed to delay by a day until Friday Saturday.   That's fine but I was kinda hoping to get the Mighty Tiger out for a blast on Saturday.  Still might hopefully

Highlight of the day? The girly partner arrived home early in her nurses uniform, proceeded to make me a drink / biscuits which was pleasantly distracting :default_blush:

Griff

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ray said:

lucky to get this shot of an owl hunting on a smart phone.

Owls using smartphones to hunt, whatever next!! I know we all use ‘smart’ technology for such a lot these days but owls?? 

Actually, that was a clever shot Ray. Especially on a smartphone. Well done!!

• Haha 4

This is gonna sound so sexist but it is the truth and I can only put it as it happened

Chaps - Those of us that have wives / partners / girlfriends will know only too well the phenomenon of when our ladies make a statement / question in plain English but mean something totally different.

It must be cos they just ain't wired up correctly.  Over the past 34 years that I have been with my Mrs G I am quite proud to say that most days I do have the correct daily crypto installed and fully understand what she 'Means' not what she says, having said that I still get caught out now and again.

Earlier this evening I got caught out, not by my MrsG but by one of the girly staff at our village Fish-n-Chip shop.  Friday teatime for us at our hovel is Fish-n-Chip night from said friary.  I know the owner, he is one of our restoration crew of 'B.A' and has been on a Lads Week before now (His liver told him not to go on another one)

Auckley Friary is normally busy but always on a Friday.  So I got to the front of the queue, Miss lashes (She has fantastic eye lashes) takes my order then asks me

'What kind of chips do you want'?

My answer after a moments pregnant thought at being asked such a stupid question

'The potato kind, cooked and still preferably hot'

She then stated that I was in danger of having them thrown at me.  I took umbrage at this and stated with some volume that if she tried that they would be returned at a far greater velocity than she could ever manage.  The boss overheard this and intervened immediately and gave her a public chiding at talking to customers in that manner.

She pleaded innocence saying I was being sarcastic.  Really?  The boss quite clearly heard her question and my answer and asked her just how was I supposed to answer her plain English question?

Yes dear reader, then it came to light, what she mean to say was

'Do you want small / medium or Large'

FFS! - Say that then woman! not something you think us chaps will translate into what you 'Meant'

No end of arguments are caused by us chaps not listening - Its no wonder!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Some translations I have found useful - 

Would you like a plate = stop dropping crumbs

The washing machine / hoover / TV isn't working = I've broken the washing machine / hoover / TV

How do I use the tyre pump at the garage = I have a flat, fix it. 

The grass is getting long = cut it

I think the dog may need to go out = take the dog out

It wasn't me = it was you

I distinctly remember = it was you

Who left the light on = it was you

I don't know how that happened = it was me

:default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

the problem is that us guys do listen, we answer the question put in front of us, we have no concept of sarcasm or subtlety, ask the question you want the answer to, not the one you think might get the answer you want without actually asking the direct question.

• Like 4

It is my wife’s Birthday soon. A couple of weeks ago She had a two hour massage as her present. Coming out of Morrison’s I said I have to go and get your present. Don’t bother she said you got me the massage.

what do you think she meant?

34 years married this year and I would like it to stay that way, I went and bought her something to unwrap on the day.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

It is my wife’s Birthday soon. A couple of weeks ago She had a two hour massage as her present. Coming out of Morrison’s I said I have to go and get your present. Don’t bother she said you got me the massage.

what do you think she meant?

34 years married this year and I would like it to stay that way, I went and bought her something to unwrap on the day.

You did right, congratulations you have passed Advanced Level Marriage :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maxwellian said:

Cheapskate! Rather than a massage from Morrison’s, you could at least have splashed out and got one from Waitrose on such an occasion.  :default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6