My Day

LizG

Back to that Oak mantle piece,  MrsG at last decided on what she wanted it to look like, supplying me with an on-line photo.  She also actually made a decision on what was to be the face and top, that meant I could start on getting the wall bracket fitted to the back of the Oak.  The three pegs we too long so they were cut down with an angle grinder and suitable blade.  Once I was happy with the fit the bracket could then be mounted to the chimney breast,

Griff

BA NBN 530.JPG

BA NBN 531.JPG

BA NBN 532.JPG

Turned my attention the the oak lump.  Scallops cut, sharp edges planed off, then D.A with 80g, to round all corners / edges orf to give it that aged hand-worked look.  Follow on with 320g, why 320g?  Purely and simply coz thats what I found first in my garage.  Then hang it onto the wall bracket.

Now to commence with the finish

Griff

BA NBN 533.JPG

BA NBN 534.JPG

BA NBN 535.JPG

• Like 7

my day, after picking up an old canon eos 300 digital camera at the boot fair for a  mere £20, I got home and tried it to find it didnt work, still the two batteries and charger were worth more than I paid. then I did some googling and found that on the power board there are 3 fuses, they are tiny, and are surface mount items (think about 1.5mm 1/16" square). I disassembled the camera, lots of tiny and inaccessible screws. well eventually I got to the power board, tested the 'fuses' to find one was blown, now these are part of the circuit board, and are not replaceable, they do provide a couple of spare solder spots next to each fuse, so not having any spare fuses I decided to just bridge the gap with a piece of wire, that was difficult enough - the distance to bridge was just 2mm, about half the width of my soldering iron tip, with the aid of a magnifying light, it was eventually done, then came reassembly, during this a loose screw was found floating around, maybe this is what blew the fuse. eventually it was all back together, all the connectors reconnected - all the screws in place (with the exception of that loose one and one other I left out as it was behind a very tricky cable connector, and i only realised after I got the cable in place.) anyway the thing was finally back together, so it was time to put the memory card and battery back in. this done I hit the power switch, and it lives. well worth a couple of hours of micro surgery.

• Like 8

Sailing not in circles for change,  it was the Ramuz trophy , this traditionally went to the Ramuz's home on south walsham broad from Horning sailing club . Since their departure it's been to a variety of places.  However we now have club members living next door so that was our stopping place. 

The wind was a little  light,  so we started at the waterworks,  but it was a wonderful day sailing,  race down there stop for lunch,  then race back.. 

No problem with anyone coming out of side rivers,  that was reserved for driving home,  someone tried a Prince Phillip on me in Horning.  My brakes worked..  So I avoided them.. 

• Like 2

May I make a suggestion? When making rigging, get it under tension (maybe in a vice or clamp) and then paint it in thin enamel paint of a suitable colour. It will then dry stiff, and remain in place. Paint is also a very good glue, for joining small pieces at the same time.

100_3753.thumb.jpg.d3311aac3e0ec1220b85460f93b152f0.jpg

100_3757.thumb.jpg.c53b292981d4b09386f4b540f1f95375.jpg

The signal flags are the correct wartime naval code flags for the hull number K49.

100_3761.thumb.jpg.51c8b1defef98825496f0d77b854e4f5.jpg

100_3752.thumb.jpg.c16d79178c5653bd02cbc7abdc0dec94.jpg

The pulleys and purchases are handmade and are "rove" correctly for lifeboat falls.

100_3769.thumb.jpg.b1924def0e67ec7fd3e45e133c50751d.jpg

The boat cover and canvas bridge screens are made from the tissue paper out of a shoe box, painted with thin enamel paint. Black button thread was pressed on while the paint was still wet, to represent the "bolt rope"

100_3762.thumb.jpg.f6f5456ded83ad73110c4cc343cb6c65.jpg

The model is heavily modified from a plastic kit and is a scale model of HMS Coreopsis, as she appeared in the role of HMS Compass Rose in the film, The Cruel Sea.

The scale is 1:72, a little bigger than a "00 gauge" model railway.

100_3766.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Gets worse. Lady of house has gone out for a couple of hours so I’m home alone. No issue with that, but still not allowed radio in as it will ‘dirty’ their house!  Really?

They must have had a hell of a spring / deep clean when they moved in

Griff

Nothing for it,  you will have to sing to yourself,  in your head :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

You may have noticed Glenn Johnson's post on NBN facebook with photos of us sailing..  if not, here's one of what you missed..

I like this one.... We're in the lead!!!

52599415_2011650292288149_2888951297149501440_n[1].jpg PS all the motor boats passed us carefully and easily yesterday..

• Like 4

As the weather is still an beautiful I decided to travel further West than I normally do in winter. Stopped at NWT Visitor Centre to buysome cards and a coffee then drove on to Brancaster Staithe.20190226_105657.thumb.jpg.ba2c5ac43febfabf714ec849035643c3.jpg20190226_114632.thumb.jpg.10f2dc1a8bf7e727b4f00eab83832a7a.jpg20190226_114639.thumb.jpg.e6439ab07775e1e4845c859377f3c94b.jpg20190226_114705.thumb.jpg.7aab8dabf80463b6d35370d6b063f485.jpg

For anyone who has not been lately and can remember Brancaster Sailing Clubs horrid old brick HQ, this is their new one. Should have got a side shot to show it off. Beautiful facility.

20190226_114644.thumb.jpg.8ebb6fae435d18e47291ad9454c244ac.jpg

• Like 4

Warp asked me if I would make a new sail cover for Flying Fish, the racing yacht on which he crews. 

Of course I agreed, then I saw the job! This thing is 30ft long. 

That is the old one you can see in pic. 1 and pic.2 shows the Timbo cartoon flying fish, enlarged and stitched, waiting to go on each side of the finished cover. 

Thank you Tim, thank you Jeckells Sails for samples and helpful advice as always, and thank you Pinel and Bax for advice and eventually supplying the Weathermax and all the bits needed. 

Now I just need to finish it.

2780052C-21A2-4FAC-82C9-56A88942B244.jpeg

B616ECCF-39E2-4E14-9B0F-2E1B86699ECC.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So in a clients house t'other day there.  Lady of the house was a young lady doctor (Most folk are young compared to me nowadays) I muttered to mysen that I had left my tape measure in my van and went to get it.  She said  "I have one here you can use", to which I replied  "No thanks, I'd rather use a man's one"  (By Mans tape measure I mean one that is wider stronger metal and does not fold over easy) I came back into her house with said tape measure and whaddya think she said?

"So that's a mans tape measure is it? - Let me guess it exaggerates and adds on two inches"  :default_rofl:

Brilliant reply was that, well impressed :default_icon_bowdown:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

"No thanks, I'd rather use a man's one"   I came back into her house with said tape measure and whaddya think she said?

"So that's a mans tape measure is it? - Let me guess it exaggerates and adds on two inches"  :default_rofl:

Griff

A match made in heaven, you should of married her! (after legal divorce proceedings of course) :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This morning I took my car to West Runton to be cleaned. ( in Australia they have them "Plushed" not valeted ) then I walked from Cromer to East Runton and back, as you can see the beach was really busy. And finished my morning shopping at Waitrose in North Walsham. This afternoon I mowed the lawn, it was a lovely Spring day in Norfolk.20190320_101950.thumb.jpg.967383f56c8d0a8a6e85483bf56fbf39.jpg

20190320_101936.thumb.jpg.cdd083c969186e0087fad5988575dc9c.jpg

• Like 5

On 15/03/2019 at 18:50, BroadAmbition said:

So in a clients house t'other day there.  Lady of the house was a young lady doctor (Most folk are young compared to me nowadays) I muttered to mysen that I had left my tape measure in my van and went to get it.  She said  "I have one here you can use", to which I replied  "No thanks, I'd rather use a man's one"  (By Mans tape measure I mean one that is wider stronger metal and does not fold over easy) I came back into her house with said tape measure and whaddya think she said?

Griff

I think I saw that film - possibly in Amsterdam!

• Haha 1