My Day

LizG

The logistics company I used to work for would not buy anything other than Sprinters, Luton with tail lift. Each van was kept three years then auctioned. 

They work day and night six days a week and travel between 200k - 250k every year. Some went to auction with 800k plus. 

We took a short term contract delivering lounge suites for a catalogue chain and to take the extra capacity we leased a load of Peugeot's, which due to the front wheel drive had a lower load floor, ideal for sofas. There was at least one u/s every day. 

Fundamentally it depends whose engine is in it.... Mercedes buy their smaller diesels from Renault, and many manufacturers will buy something for a particular size or application from another company you'd never expect because the cost of developing engines is so high.

They'll use terms like "developed in partnership with XX", but fundamentally that just means that one is writing cheques to the other to cover any additional development costs.

Same thing happened to us ages ago, I had already taken precautionary measures to my garage - Stopped them getting in but ruined the door, as a result of that I upgraded the pedestrian door physical security.  Then a couple of years ago fitted a 4 x system cctv round our hovel.  Never had a murmur out of the dogs since.  I fitted the cameras in plain view but out of reach.  Can't put a price on the peace of mind it gives us.  I can view the cameras from my phone anywhere around the globe with a 4g signal

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:00, BroadAmbition said:

Vauxhal Vivaro 1:9CDTi - The best van I have ever had.  The van prior to that was a Mercedes Vito - Biggest pile of horse manure ever.  Damn thing cost me more to keep on the road than it earnt me - I'm exaggerating slightly of course but due to that experience I now would never ever have Merc van ever again ever and I bought the bl00dy thing from a main dealer too - Should have known better, I kinda knew I was getting a pup but tooooo late by the time my fears were confirmed.

Yertiz Vivaro - now of course it has 'My' cherished plate on it - R641 CHG - Perfect

Griff

BA NBN 139.jpg

By the way am really liking the photo Griff, but your van looks insignificant to this wooden beauty. 

Back to vans though and what I remember of the Vito, they did look the biz when they came out, but time has taken it's toll. The amount of times I have seen these vans with rust taking it's toll, I do wonder if their rust proofing was the same as the Vauxhall Viva.

• Like 1

OK my day last Wednesday. Moored at Norwich YS Tuesday.Out of bed at five am weds, quick shower to wake up and make myself look professional. Kettle on for a mug of tea, get dressed, blue slacks, blue sports coat ( blazer) black church shoes,ivory shirt, grey tie. Collected my folder and headed off to the railway station to catch the 06:24 to Liverpool street. 

Train was there when I arrived. Parked my bum in reserved seat and waited for the off. Arrived in the smoke, walked the 3/4 of a mile to the venue and waited for 09:45 for the right time to arrive politely early. ( interview was 10:00 am) 

Interview ended at 12:45 and then walked back to Old street tube. Tube back to LS then off to Norwich. Arrived back, walked back to boat then filled up with water and headed off to Hardley mill at 15:45. 

Arrived in a hooley, moored up and started to cook my dinner. Ate dinner, glass of wine then hit bed and crashed for sleep. 

Long tiring day but fun nonetheless. 

Back home in Switzerland now 

• Like 7

Not exactly My day more like my half week

Having been on holiday in Norfolk I arrived home on Monday. Then back to full time volunteering on various committees

5 different committee meetings in 3 days. Three of which were to resolve the same issue.

Then this morning I had to drive halfway across  the county for an interview for a volunteer job.

Interview, well more of a chat with four people I know very well. But they did fire quite a few good interview questions at me. Arrived home to phone call from the Chair of the committee where  we had the 3 meetings, so another hour and a half going through protocol. Since 1:30 I have actually had some me time. Well  when I say me time balancing the end of year accounts for the tenants board I sit on.

At 5:15 another phone call not one I had been expecting as they said It maybe after the weekend, But good news is that I have been accepted for the position.

I am to be a Member of the board of Directors for our local housing management company.

And Relax

BLUUUURGH

• Like 3

Ooh me back!

Graham got allocated an allotment a week ago. It’s just at the top of our street, so a lot handier (is that a word?) than the one I had a few years back, that was in a different neighbourhood (had to give that one up when we were looking after my Mam).

We have managed to clear a few of the small raised beds during the last week, but not many. Yesterday (my day off work) it was torrential. We made good use of the time though...we were looking for some veg plants, as it’s now too late to grow stuff from seed. Finally managed to find a good selection of veggie seedlings in Buckingham Garden Centre, having tried a few other places in and around MK. 

Rain all morning today, but we had a good spell on the allotment this afternoon. The soil on the beds that have been cultivated recently is so much better than my previous allotment, so we managed to clear a lot more than we anticipated. Way easier than my last allotment. That was heavy clay and still difficult to work after several years of feeding the soil with compost. 

We’ve started to plant stuff! (Sweet corn, courgettes and squashes).

Feeling stiff this evening though. All that digging was a good workout! (I don’t do gyms.)

We do have a problem that the plot that was free is a corner plot, so overlooked by trees, and half seems to have been neglected. However, out site rep has checked that we can tackle the trees and there are lots of friendly plot owners around keen to help, some of whom are handy (expert) with chain saws. 

On 08/06/2019 at 05:54, grendel said:

well I suppose it will keep you out of trouble.

Trouble I'm too old and rickety to get into trouble.

And the strange thing is, all of the volunteer things involve, sitting down and talking.

I can do that until the cows come home.

• Like 1

Saturday  - It was a very mixed bag of weather this weekend . Even the solid lump that is Luna was being buffeted around in the strong gusts on Saturday and the rain lashed down but no leaks at all (forever grateful to Janet Anne for discovering the source of the leak when we first bought her) .  As much as rain is a nuisance, its so reassuring to be on the boat occasionally at the time so you can see if there are any leaks.  Shore power 99% done, windscreen wiper fixed,  water pump issue fixed.

Sunday - Sunshine, lots of it and we took the opportunity to start varnishing. Never done this before but how satisfying!  (almost as fun as puttying Chloe Jane!) The windscreen was in the worst state and will take many coats but at least its slightly more protected. We then took the canopy off and cleaned all the green and detritus from the areas you dont see when the canopy is up.  Next job is painting Luna’s tatty areas and on a dry weekend. 

6A96A0E1-1BFC-4AFA-905B-2F7F3BD7455A.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed from The Swan , Horning to South Walsham on Norada via Malthouse where we mud weighted for lunch. As we were ahead of schedule we also moored up at Cockshoot and walked around the boardwalk.

20190621_094621.thumb.jpg.3c44bd8d13ef2648e80f4803c3afe702.jpg20190621_103418.thumb.jpg.d5d98f4be0edbbaeb2ef1e458968f861.jpg20190621_103645.thumb.jpg.2ee5ab6de689e7594b8deb3cbea7ad3f.jpg20190621_113814.thumb.jpg.3d4cc2d691576cbba629449ee44e4326.jpg20190621_122040.thumb.jpg.c1f7f476433f169bcd2f87933fdbe065.jpg20190621_144747.thumb.jpg.3c40fd40c3b65340f13c5627924f8e0b.jpg20190621_161258.thumb.jpg.aef659ed31a5f07b84586bb6a0cdf0d9.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, marshman said:

Do real wherries have varnished cabins then????

MM, you know full well there are three classifications called Wherry:

Trading, clinker built black sails etc. Pleasure Wherry, all cabin transom hung rudder etc and in my opinion the best of the lot The Wherry Yachts with their beautiful counter sterns. Each have their devotees I like wherry yachts because of their looks and because they do actually "sail"  my favourite is Norada being the smallest and having a boom she actually goes about and points pretty high. 

Down at the sailing club,

Shortly followed into the car park  by 3 fire engines,  two fire support vans towing  dories,  the coast guard, hemsby lifeboat,  the fire chief in his car,  an ambulance , and the air ambulance,  landing up near horning village hall. 

Why?  

A 22 year old male fell off the back of a hire boat... 

By the time the fire brigade had gone slowly up The river ( weed round the prop)  the man had been pulled out of the River by his own boat crew , and into a change of clothes.  His injuries... A cut finger.. 

Who called out the cavalry? 

The boat behind who saw the man fall in the water... 

Clearly a waste of valuable resources BUT it was a judgement call by the boat that called for help that under other circumstances could have saved a young man's life!

The press have a little more detail and alcohol was a factor in the accident.

Under completely different circumstances I once called the Coastguard to the beach where I live. It was a 100% waste of time but they could see how the situation looked from my viewpoint and thanked me for calling and told me not to let it make me hesitate to call in the future.

Glad everyone was OK :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

• Like 2

I spoke to some of the crew and they were sober...and if you read the Words carefully it doesn't  say they were drinking. That was a general set of comments by the station officer.  Also it wasn't near the Swan,  the rescue spot designated for the  area is the sailing club car park near the Swan.  The accident was up round the corner near Black horse broad..  Also only one boat was launched

Basically about the only thing correct about that report is someone fell In the water and a boat panicked and called 999. But what do you expect from the EDP these days, Their report  was compiled by someone sitting in an office and phoning round,  I received one of their calls.. 

• Like 3

I've no complaints about them being called out,  but I do wonder what the 999 caller said that brought out that long list of rescue vehicles.

You're on a river in Horning no more than 30 ft from the bank. Even as a non swimmer in a lifejacket you can doggy paddle to the bank. The man who fell in was clinging onto the side of a boat,  standing on the bottom according to his compatriots  ( so he must have been close to the bank).  There  are plenty  of places to climb out, I've done it many times in the past. 

Back in the 1970s the most that would have been called out would have been the police boat that was moored on the back of the sailing club island. And maybe the Wroxham fire engine with it's it's inflatable ( which is which is what they launched yesterday) .

one rescue boat would have done, how many rescue boats do you need for one man? 

Appropriately it says this is the 999th reply to this thread.. 

As it's my day... I'm gluing reinforcements to my rebuilt sailing boat today,   which hopefully will be relaunched next year to sail on that section of river.. 

• Like 2