My Day

LizG

Thank goodness you are ok! Am sure the wallet contents, phone and dinghy will be sorted one way or t’other, just keep an eye on yourself for a little while. 

Hoping you’ve a teeny tot of rum on board, purely medicinal purposes of course- positively anti-bacterial.... :default_smiley-angelic002:

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Can you imagine if this had happened on the Lads Week?

No, I cannot imagine in any way whatsoever that you would have all had to consume rum to ensure everyone involved (and those not) didn’t pick up a bug from the unscheduled dunking in the Thurne.....:default_biggrin:

Well talking of that bridge I asked the yard what Jayne 2's air draft was, answer not sure, she's been out of the water 4 years and they had rebuilt the sides and upper work, got to the bridge, 5 foot 10 (being generous, you could only just see the quarter mark,) anyway the guys weren't worried, they even let the young lad take her through, with about 2" to spare, so she must be about the lowest in their fleet.

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Chuffin 'Eck Peter - Glad you are ok.  Am I allowed to titter just a bit? (Knowing you are ok)

Can you imagine if this had happened on the Lads Week?

Griff

Yes and yes, good job I swim like a fish (under the water), the important thing is not to panic and form a plan of action, once it was apparent I wasn't going to manage on my own with towing the dinghy ashore, it became a matter of getting me safe, which I managed, those ashore then spotted a slipway that would make it easier to get out. Probably the reason I didn't inflate the lifejacket was more to do with the fact that I didn't feel in difficulty, and that it would have hampered my efforts to get to the bank. All I lost was a bit of pride, and a nice set of wheels. (For moving the boat on land) . Marthams didn't turn a hair when I returned looking like a wet dishcloth, I guess with the sailing and paddle boards they must be used to it by now.

• Haha 1

Out with the old, in with the new.

Meet 'Trevor the Transit.  He is 4 x years old with only 18'k on the clock.  Full service history, one owner from new.  Lots of factory fitted optional extras and gizmos onboard.    Today is our first working day together.  Collected Trev from Norfolk yesterday.  So far well chuffed with the new steed.  Lots to purchase and make him more user friendly for his new role

Griff

BA NBN 610.JPG

BA NBN 611.JPG

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Trev! I think you've landed on your tyres with the new responsible adult here. Not sure what you've done in your past, but if you play your MPG right, you might well get some nice weekends resting your gearbox close to a river in Norfolk...you'll know you're onto a winner when he loads a few bits of no name timber as opposed to owt ceramic or grout...:default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Out with the old, in with the new.

Meet 'Trevor the Transit.  He is 4 x years old with only 18'k on the clock.  Full service history, one owner from new.  Lots of factory fitted optional extras and gizmos onboard.    Today is our first working day together.  Collected Trev from Norfolk yesterday.  So far well chuffed with the new steed.  Lots to purchase and make him more user friendly for his new role

Griff

BA NBN 610.JPG

BA NBN 611.JPG

Wow trev,s got some serious " go faster stripes " ...............anyway about time you got yer backside in decent van 

finny 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 06:27, grendel said:

Well talking of that bridge I asked the yard what Jayne 2's air draft was, answer not sure, she's been out of the water 4 years and they had rebuilt the sides and upper work, got to the bridge, 5 foot 10 (being generous, you could only just see the quarter mark,) anyway the guys weren't worried, they even let the young lad take her through, with about 2" to spare, so she must be about the lowest in their fleet.

I'd like to have seen it go through.

I was in the right place at the right time, but far too busy in Herbert Woods getting everything out of the boat by 9 so the cleaners could get it ready for the next lot.

On 12/08/2019 at 17:16, finny said:

Wow trev,s got some serious " go faster stripes " ...............anyway about time you got yer backside in decent van 

In the 60's a Dutch correspondent to one of the car magazines of the time, wrote that he was so pleased that our worst drivers identified themselves with stripes on their cars! 

• Haha 1

I would hazard a guess that you inherited the name with the van....the previous owner having 'form' in such things. It's a nice van.

Nope I gave the van the name 'Trevor'.  Those stripes are factory fitted from new.  As soon as the new V5 arrives I will put my cherished plates on.  Received the K&N air filter today along with door wind deflectors, other stuff due to arrive anytime.  I need to make mysen a timber racking / storage boxes above the Port rear wheel boxing-in.  Spoke with my sign writing contact today about having some magnetic advertising pads made up for both side and the rear doors.  Lots to do and get on with

Griff

• Like 2

The following story may make you feel better.At present I am working in one of the world's leading investment Bank,based in the city.I have worked there off and on for best part of eight years. To make life interesting they are operating in two buildings.Where I am we are offering a limited breakfast and lunch service, but a full on evening  dinner.This morning we set up breakfast, then most of the power went off.Some lights,ovens working, however no water.This came back on about 12.10.Therefore no lunch service. Power restored about 16.30,so went ahead with dinner.The best bit the chef asked if I could  work from seven this morning to 10.00.Which have.Most of my day spent telling people there was no food or coffee.Still it could  be worse,it could be raining,oh it is raining.Never mind back at work tomorrow seven in the mind.See that makes you feel better:default_blink:

• Sad 1

That’s worse than the longest shift I’ve ever done, 8am to 8pm back in the days (early 80s) when we had British Rail. Mind you, the Union had negotiated double time (or something like that...memory is slightly hazy) which made doing ‘overtime’ well worth it. My Mum also worked for BR, as did her father. He said some of his colleagues who worked the system killed the golden egg.

I’m not a fan of privatisation, but I can see how it happened. More a symptom of weak management though.

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

There’s a fine balance we’ve yet to reach between people being exploited and people exploiting the system.

Having worked in the logistics industry for the majority of my working life, long hours are nothing new.  As an HGV driver, one can still work 15 hours a day, three days a week, with a potential maximum working week of 84 hours.  Despite the Working Time Directive and EU driving regs, this is still legally permissible.  I have been office based for the best part of 25 years, but am still contracted to a 50 hour week, with an hour for lunch daily.

I just need to be spared for another 2 years, 9 months and 3 days, so I can retire!!!

Both of my sons are in catering so I know very well the hours that they work, shifts are usually the norm.

Many years ago I was working sub contract for Batchelors Foods 12 hours shifts 6 to 6 on weekly rotation, we were on standby to cover any breakdowns on the Surprise  production line. One morning the relief crew did not turn up, so we worked their 12 hour shift and then our next 12 hour shift and prayed that then would turn up, they did and we went home for a good rest. Hours pass very slowly when you are just waiting for a breakdown to happen, it is far better being busy.

Regards

Alan 

Might as well join in ☺ Great Western railways Monday to Friday 06:00 to 18:00 and Saturday 06:00 to 13:30, every week, week in week out. I became a zombie and eventually quit for something where I at least got weekends off.

Happily retired now anyway 👍

Having just spent 20 hours traveling back from Thassos I can see why Greece has so much debt.

The tiny airport in Kavala has more security and police  than they need.  I counted 15, including the ones smoking out the front yet 1 check in operator for 300 odd people.

Tui are going to be hit where it hurts as the plane was delayed coming out by 'operational' delays.